Positive Battery Cable Connection to Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the morning when I cold start my 78 FJ40 (original stock) it takes multiple turns of the key before the engine will start. Periodically I will see a little smoke coming from the the engine compartment so I went to investigate. I noticed that the smoke was coming from the connection of the positive battery cable to the starter....the wire covering was melting due to the multiple engine turn overs before it starts. Why would the wire be melting and smoking. I did replace the wire awhile back. Perhaps I need a different wire that would better handle to voltage push from the battery. Or is there another issue I should look at....am I at risk of fire. When the motor is warm and the temperature is warmer I do not notice this issue. Perhaps tuning in carburetor would help in starting then not putting the stress on the positive battery cable....Thoughts

What size and quality of wire did you replace it with, what kind of connections on the ends?
Pics?

The voltage isn't the problem it's the amperage going through the wire.

What size and quality of wire did you replace it with, what kind of connections on the ends?
Pics?

The voltage isn't the problem it's the amperage going through the wire.
Here you go...

42954FAD-4A72-44CE-B4C5-8B938C0EBEA5.jpeg

C6CBFA2D-D18E-4B2E-90AF-DDF6D5CEE040.jpeg

19112F9A-0335-46CD-B4FD-BE173D4B4F94.jpeg

Looks like a good sized wire but that corrosion at the starter isn't helping. Get that cleaned up, you want it shiny.

The corrosion is adding resistance, you can see that it's melted on that end.

You have a bad connection at the starter. Either the crimp is bad, there's corrosion in the wire, or the connection to the starter is bad. Any where along the path that has resistance can cause this. High resistance = heat. Lots of cranking attempts = more heat.

It looks like the starter lug is corroded which could be the cause, and the heat is transfering to the wire. It could also be the reason why it's hard to start since the starter isn't getting full power. I've also had this same problem and it ended up being the crimp. It looked fine from the outside, but when I cut open the crimp the wires inside had turned green from corrosion.

Try cleaning the connections first and use some dielectric grease that will probably fix the problem, but I'd also get a new starter wire just for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom