Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (3 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,195 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

98' MC failure at roughly 160k miles no emergency brakes so that was fun, replaced with the brand new OEM MC Assembly. Tempted about grabbing a higher mile LX just worried about this issue.

Pump failure with buzzer going off. Towed home, replaced entire assembly. Pump was the only failure. Got everything sitting on a shelf if anyone needs parts other than the pump. '99

I have 199,800 on my 2001. No failure yet, but I'm showing signs. Pedal is starting to stick a lot. I work for Toyota and those damn boosters are STILL expensive, even with my discount.

The OEM LC100 one isn't likely to get less expensive, I'm afraid. Any other current model that uses the same or similar booster?

Check out the booster motor power wire that Toyota recommends we replaced (non reusable), it alone list at $170.

I doubt the booster motor even if found on different model is any cheaper. But then that would open the door to more availability from "used". Too bad there's generally no way to no in advance when motor is going bad, they usual just stop working.

I did not have any brake failure, but i had the awful strangling seagull sound and warning lights / buzzer

Bought a brand new MC assembly and had it installed.

No problems since. However, every time i get in my car the brake feel is a little different. Some days the pedal is kind of soft and travels further. Other days it's really firm and brakes great.

Any idea what would cause the inconsistency?

I did not have any brake failure, but i had the awful strangling seagull sound and warning lights / buzzer

No problems since. However, every time i get in my car the brake feel is a little different. Some days the pedal is kind of soft and travels further. Other days it's really firm and brakes great.

Assuming booster pump has run until it stops, which bring accumulator up to predetermined pressure.
Assuming booster pump has running until it stops within 30 to 40 seconds, after pumping pedal 40 time with key off.
Assume no loss of fluid from leaks.
Assuming no flexible lines failing, which may be seen as flexing/expanding/bulging.
I'd flush the fluid.

Assuming booster pump has run until it stops, which bring accumulator up to predetermined pressure.
Assuming booster pump has running until it stops within 30 to 40 seconds, after pumping pedal 40 time with key off.
Assume no loss of fluid from leaks.
Assuming no flexible lines failing, which may be seen as flexing/expanding/bulging.
I'd flush the fluid.
This^^^.

It sounds like there's air in the system, likely the ABS unit. If those don't get flushed correctly, air can get stuck in there. I had the same problem in my 80. But regardless, you have to check the above items posted by @2001LC first to be sure they are all safe.

@dace voit , I've wondered if the booster timing test not within the 30 to 40 seconds would indicate air in ABS. FSM states re-bleed if not within time frame, which I've assumed would included ABS valves, but I've never been sure.

What your thought on that?

@dace voit , I've wondered if the booster timing test not within the 30 to 40 seconds would indicate air in ABS. FSM states re-bleed if not within time frame, which I've assumed would included ABS valves, but I've never been sure.

What your thought on that?

It can, or air somewhere else. That is likely why they say rebleed, as the first logical step. After that, the search for leaks makes sense. Since the pump is so expensive, that is hopefully the last thing to go. Although evidence suggests that's not the case...

How is Toyota not recalling such a serious issue?

Nothing to recall. FSM is very clear inspect brake lines and brakes.
This seems to me to be a TOTALLY different issue. You can check brakes daily, and find no problems, but the MC, pump, etc. can go out for no reason and without warning. I'm not aware that inspection / preventative maintenance addresses these brake issues.

I, too, can't understand why Toyota hasn't addressed a problem this serious! If nothing else, at least make the part(s) "affordable" where people are more likely to change out the parts as a preventative measure. I've seriously considered selling my 84 yo mother's '06 LX for this braking reason and for the rare, but known, VGRS "disengagement" issue. Those are two REALLY, REALLY serious issues!

that's about 100 reported brake failures, 15% of responses (unscientifically). Been wondering what would happen if we were to contact the powers that be... You'd think that at the potential of a mil lawsuit each time somebody gets hurt, they'd listen... Especially for what was their flagship vehicle in the US...

This seems to me to be a TOTALLY different issue. You can check brakes daily, and find no problems, but the MC, pump, etc. can go out for no reason and without warning. I'm not aware that inspection / preventative maintenance addresses these brake issues.

I, too, can't understand why Toyota hasn't addressed a problem this serious! If nothing else, at least make the part(s) "affordable" where people are more likely to change out the parts as a preventative measure. I've seriously considered selling my 84 yo mother's '06 LX for this braking reason and for the rare, but known, VGRS "disengagement" issue. Those are two REALLY, REALLY serious issues!
The only time I've seen "Total brake failure" with total fluid loss.

Pump loss we loose assist brake pressure, but we've brakes at bottom of pedal. Are they great, no! Is it scary, yes! Can we stop, yes!

I've never seen a master cylinders plunger or seal(s) totally fail, only weep. (Same goes for calipers pistons & seals which all vehicles have). Those yielding mushy brakes and fluid loss. There was a recall for 2005-07 IIRC, but not 100 series. It was a seal failure in master, due to incompatibility with aftermarket fluids. I never saw a report of total loss actually, but I didn't study that aspect.

ABS fails we've brakes just no ABS.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or a smart A**, but what would a recall be for?

The only time I've seen "Total brake failure" with total fluid loss.

Pump loss we loose assist brake pressure, but we've brakes at bottom of pedal. Are they great, no! Is it scary, yes! Can we stop, yes!

I've never seen a master cylinders plunger or seal(s) totally fail, only weep. (Same goes for calipers pistons & seals which all vehicles have). Those yielding mushy brakes and fluid loss. There was a recall for 2005-07 IIRC, but not 100 series. It was a seal failure in master, due to incompatibility with aftermarket fluids. I never saw a report of total loss actually, but I didn't study that aspect.

ABS fails we've brakes just no ABS.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or a smart A**, but what would a recall be for?
I'm not trying to be argumentative either. It just appears to me that there's enough loss of braking in several of these instances that Toyota should be concerned. There have been a couple of failures in 100s in our club, and the people with whom I've talked said they had NO brakes. As in NO brakes! Others on the forums have reported the same thing or have reported only having brakes for 2 or 3 pumps of the pedal. In a conventional vacuum booster/master cylinder system, I've never heard anyone report that they had NO brakes (well, at least not in the last 50+ years). The pedal may have ended up having no power assist, but they never went away completely. In many instances, that's not the case with our system.

Thankfully, I've not had any of mine go out, but in talking to some who have, it seems to me this system is flawed in its "backup" capabilities. To me, a brake system just should have more of a fail safe capability. So to compensate, at the very MINIMUM, Toyota should make the parts available to people at a drastically reduced price, and really, they should take a closer look at replacing what can end up being a catastrophic failure of a braking system.

I've owned nearly 100 cars, and in every conventional system I've had that was on its way out, I've had some sort of advance warning that something needed to be checked (a leak, a spongy pedal, a hard pedal, a noise, etc.); however, on these trucks, many report immediate failure without warning (largely, I suppose, due to the electrical pump components in the system that either work or they don't) - unlike the hydraulic and vacuum components of other systems. Again, it's a sophisticated system that works well when it works. It just seems to me that a braking system that can fail - virtually completely, and without warning - is a nightmare scenario for an automobile manufacturer, and now that these trucks are getting to ages where things are happening, Toyota should look into it. Deeply.

One odd, concerning, and interesting thing about this all - I may have said that earlier, sorry if I did- is that some of the reported cases happened at rather low mileage. So one can't just blame this entirely on normal cumulative wear, it seems.

One odd, concerning, and interesting thing about this all - I may have said that earlier, sorry if I did- is that some of the reported cases happened at rather low mileage. So one can't just blame this entirely on normal cumulative wear, it seems.
Good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom