Poll on Head gasket problems (1 Viewer)

Poll about mileage and overheating

• HG blew between at over 250K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, several folks have mentioned the need for a headgasket poll.
Did a search and there were 2 but for some reasons there are no results shown...

So here goes:

let's see what happened to your head gasket and see if this is really a serious problem or not...

I'll try to make the poll is in 2 parts, the first 7 choices are about mileage
The last 3 are to try and find out the correlation with overheating or cooling issues.
I'll set up the poll for more than one choice but you have to vote all at the same time, don't wait, you likely won't be able to vote again later.

So use one vote for the mileage part and one vote for the overheating part.

Obviously, you don't vote on the second part if you've had no problems.

Note the % won't be right, but the numbers should be of interest.

edit: voting on the "no prob" will NOT jinx you since obviously a large number of trucks would have to blow up all at once, which ain't possible, so there...
(but somebody else vote on that one first, please... :) )

edit2: dang, messed up the language on the over 250K one, cut and paste for ya and I don't think I can change it anymore. But you're smart so you figured out that this meant "over 250K" . If not, well, ....

edit3: got to clarify this long and short time biz:
let's say that "long before" means days, weeks, months, or more, for example systemic or permanent problems or recurring issues.
We'll call "right before" anywhere from 5 minutes to a day, say. That would be, for example, repeated overheating and A/C cutting off in the mountains or in the desert. IOW, enough time that you could have otherwise stopped and checked things and perhaps avoided a meltdown.
and "no issues before" means no warning signs at all until it went "bang" or at the most a couple minutes since the temp suddenly went up for the first time, so no time to do anything.
I'm hoping this break down could perhaps help somebody else figure out they are in "potential danger zone" but it still is not too late and action could still be taken.

edit4: the time your "HG blew" means the time that the engine froze, lost power, or blew large amounts of steam... that kinda stuff...

edit 5 (sheesh...): cooling / overheating issues means obviously the temp gauge showed a higher than normal temp or you went into the red, but also you knew there were problems with your rad -like sludge- or you had weird coolant mixes in there, coolant leaks, crusties, that kinda stuff....

My HG went in the early 90s (miles, not years).

Before it went (less than 5K), we had an overheating problem while towing the trailer in the Poconos. While it never went into the "red" zone, it certainly got right up against is and kept on going. Turned out the water pump was leaking which lost coolant, resulting in overheating. Radiator was okay.

I have always suspected that this episode warped the head, which led to the HG failaure.

Bet I'm gonna regret this.

120,000 No problems .

I responded "no problems so far" but I have run on the warm side on a few occasions.

The first time was shortly after I added the supercharger and it happend on our way back from Lake Powell, pulling the boat. It got warm and the A/C kicked out. I shut the A/C off and put the heater on high (a bitch in late August in the Utah desert but that's tough). I attributed that episode to the fact that my brother-in-law drove the 80 while we were at the lake and filled the tank with regular gas. After I refueled with premium there was no problem.
Fast forward three years and it gets warm pulling a hill in town on a very hot July afternoon. I immediately changed the fan clutch and then went to Powell with the boat. I had a couple hills where it got warm on that trip. When I got back I jerked the radiator and replaced it with a new OEM piece. I then went for a test run, with the boat, north on I 25 to Santa Fe. I ran the hell out of it up a couple hard puills and I had no problems.
Add two more years and I just had a episode a few days ago when I had to go to the scene of an accident involving one of my parts trucks. It was hotter than hell and I left the 80 idling with the A/C on for probably 20 minutes while we delt with the post-accident paperwork. I specifically monitored the gauge in anticipation of a spike but did not see one. Shortly after I pulled away and proceeded down the frontage road the temp started to come up. I kicked off the A/C and drove back to the store. Since then I have not had that happen. It was over 100 when I came home from work yesterday afternoon and when I got home I pulled out the hand throttle and ran the engine at 2900 RPM for about three minutes. The fan was pulling hard and I had no bubbles in the overflow.
I "hope" that a perfectly sound 80 will sometimes get warm enough to make the A/C cut out but I do not know the answer yet.

D-

Last edited:
Might be of value to add to poll average mean air temperatures in geographical location of trucks with failed hgs

shoot, I'm gonna have to clarify what long and short means...

looks like Scamp thought that 5K means right before. Sorry, I didn't make clear what that meant. I'll clarify in the top message, basically to differentiate a timeframe when it's not too late yet, or not. Sorry, Scamp, but I think it's better to make that clear now than not. Soo, we'll have to take that distinction and that one vote into account when interpreting the results... Dang! My mistake!

So, to clean this up based on new timeframe clarification, if somebody else had a blown gasket, please contact Scamp to see if you can "trade" votes...

rats, these polls are something else... gotta plan better...

flintknapper said:
120,000 No problems .

if ya were first, yar a brave soul!

hmmm.... come to think of it, this will be an interesting experiment also to see if yours fails first... :) wouldn't that be something?

BTW, this poll is a complement to the
"Offical 1FZ head gasket debate" thread by CDan
if you didn't know already.
Lots of good tech info there and probably a better place for deeper discussion...

Last edited by a moderator:
1995 LC, 120K, original owner - no problems yet. Is there an advisable mileage point to replace the fan clutch and or radiator, even if they have not shown any problems?

shoot, we got 2 more blown ones but they didn't vote on the second part. Post here please and we'll have somebody vote for you!

Holy crap!
3 blown, 29 not blown... 10%! this better be a fluke!

Dansan said:
1995 LC, 120K, original owner - no problems yet. Is there an advisable mileage point to replace the fan clutch and or radiator, even if they have not shown any problems?

you can test your clutch -but it might cost you a finger or 2-
and you can look for sludge
that's be a start...

Original owner, stock 93, 145,000 miles with a LOT of heavy towing (on the 3rd set of wheel bearings, and close to wearing out the 2nd set of tires on the trailer) every summer. Cooler NW climate. Anal cooling system maintenance. Well, pretty much anal everything maintenance. On the worst, hottest longest pass tow I've ever experienced, A/C remained cold and temp went up a needle width while oil pressure dropped 2 needle widths.

DougM

97LX, 100K miles, recently purchased but the Lexus records have no HG or overheating issues noted (and the PO would take it in to Lexus for streaky windshield wipers).

I have, however, noticed that in stop-and-go traffic on a 100 degree day the A/C will start to not cool very well. I don't believe the compressor is kicking off though.

e9999 said:
shoot, I'm gonna have to clarify what long and short means...

looks like Scamp thought that 5K means right before. Sorry, I didn't make clear what that meant. I'll clarify in the top message, basically to differentiate a timeframe when it's not too late yet, or not. Sorry, Scamp, but I think it's better to make that clear now than not. Soo, we'll have to take that distinction and that one vote into account when interpreting the results... Dang! My mistake!

So, to clean this up based on new timeframe clarification, if somebody else had a blown gasket, please contact Scamp to see if you can "trade" votes...

rats, these polls are something else... gotta plan better...

Oh well... I thought a bit about how to respond on that one but got it wrong anyway. :eek: But, for what it's worth, it doesn't make too much difference if it was 5 miles or 5K miles--there's cause and effect there sure enough.

Scamper said:
Oh well... I thought a bit about how to respond on that one but got it wrong anyway. :eek: But, for what it's worth, it doesn't make too much difference if it was 5 miles or 5K miles--there's cause and effect there sure enough.

don't feel bad. My mistake. I didn't say. Plus most of the other "blewees" haven't figured out how to vote on the second part yet... No wonder they're exploding their engines.... :)

e9999 said:
if ya were first, yar a brave soul!

hmmm.... come to think of it, this will be an interesting experiment also to see if yours fails first... :) wouldn't that be something?

You may be confusing bravery with stupidity.

I keep telling myself: You DID NOT "jinx" yourself........you did not jinx yourself......you...................

Scamper said:
it doesn't make too much difference if it was 5 miles or 5K miles--there's cause and effect there sure enough.

NOT TRUE! With overheating immeadiatly prior to HG failure it is just as likely that leaking hot gases emerging from the failed gasket CAUSED the over-heat.

'97 40th Anniversery Edition. Original owner with - 10 miles on odometer - currently 112,000 miles to date.

I'm going to beat everybody here. HG blew at 49,607 miles in December of 2000. Interesting point on the heat theory since it was freezing cold when it happened. Also blows the theory of poor maintenance on a used vehicle. The thing just flat out failed. HG, valve stem seals, spark plugs, fuel filter were replaced and oil changed under warranty.

Question for CD or whoever wants to comment - was there a new and improved HG in use by the end of 2000, or did I get the same one as it came with in '97.

Other stuff of interest - rotors warped and were replaced under warranty at 11.888 miles. O2 sensors crapped at 15,000 miles and were replaced under warranty. Replaced antennae twice myself and entire motor once. I replace brake pads front and rear on a regular schedule, new belts every 20,000 miles or so, oil change and grease every 5,000 miles, two coolant flushes so far. Need to adjust the valves and do PHH replacement with all other hoses as well. Actually the PHH looks and feels fine, but I'm paranoid from reading the horror stories. Not looking forward to birf job, but they seem to be fine for the time being. Just ordered DVD from El Mariachi.

Looked high and low to find this thing - no roof rack, tow package, deflector or running boards originally. It has running boards now 'cause we had kids, but still has front mudflaps. Running boards are capped front and rear.

Didn't blow - just leaking, so had it replaced.

spartan said:
'97 40th Anniversery Edition. Original owner with - 10 miles on odometer - currently 112,000 miles to date.

I'm going to beat everybody here. HG blew at 49,607 miles in December of 2000. Interesting point on the heat theory since it was freezing cold when it happened. Also blows the theory of poor maintenance on a used vehicle. The thing just flat out failed. HG, valve stem seals, spark plugs, fuel filter were replaced and oil changed under warranty.

Question for CD or whoever wants to comment - was there a new and improved HG in use by the end of 2000, or did I get the same one as it came with in '97.

Other stuff of interest - rotors warped and were replaced under warranty at 11.888 miles. O2 sensors crapped at 15,000 miles and were replaced under warranty. Replaced antennae twice myself and entire motor once. I replace brake pads front and rear on a regular schedule, new belts every 20,000 miles or so, oil change and grease every 5,000 miles, two coolant flushes so far. Need to adjust the valves and do PHH replacement with all other hoses as well. Actually the PHH looks and feels fine, but I'm paranoid from reading the horror stories. Not looking forward to birf job, but they seem to be fine for the time being. Just ordered DVD from El Mariachi.

Looked high and low to find this thing - no roof rack, tow package, deflector or running boards originally. It has running boards now 'cause we had kids, but still has front mudflaps. Running boards are capped front and rear.

hmmm... obviously you got the only LC built by GM in Detroit, eh...? :)

this is getting scary, now.
stats are not getting any better,
we got 8 vs 42, almost 20%... this better be just the blown HG guys who are hypersensitive and noticed the poll disproportionately...
if it keeps this way, I'm opening up mine and changing the dang thing...!

e9999 said:
this is getting scary, now.
stats are not getting any better,
we got 8 vs 42, almost 20%... this better be just the blown HG guys who are hypersensitive and noticed the poll disproportionately...
if it keeps this way, I'm opening up mine and changing the dang thing...!
You're going to fix what isn't broken? :confused:

120k on mine (79k on the wife's) No HG issues on either one. Add 1 more to the no HG problems count if it makes you feel any better.

I would create a UserID for the wife and post info for her rig, but that would be opening myself up for the eventuallity of my worlds colliding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom