Poll on Head gasket problems (1 Viewer)

Poll about mileage and overheating

• HG blew between at over 250K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this poll still going??? :flipoff2:

1996 LC
167k miles
Leaking coolant at the rear of the engine, external HG failure
No overheating issues prior to this.

167k That Almost Blew

I had to go thru 2 donor motors. The first I got from a dickhead in Miami. They pulled it for diesel swap. It was suppose to be a top shelf 123k miles no leaks good compression. Number 6 was shot. The I got one local out of a 97 with 167k on it. It had great compression. But when I pulled the head. I saw where it was about to go on number 6:eek:

We need a poll for main bearings:grinpimp:

305.jpg

280.jpg

This is old indeed although very telling. II suppose i should start another poll since Mud has grown so much. May do that.

You might expand the possible answer options to include non-catastrophic failure.
I bought a very clean 94 from a custoner of mine when we sold the shop a couple of years ago. At the time of purchase, it had 233k on it and was beginning to use some oil, about 1 quart in 1,500 miles. No prob to me, since my last one, a 93, had just put on 350k and was drinking oil. Anyway, after about a year of ownership, the 94 began to show oil foam in the coolant. Hmmm..... since I had sold my shop and most of my tools had been stolen, a friend did the head gasket at his shop based on my diagnosis. Within 1k miles and after a couple of coolant flushes, the cooling system is free of oil foam and the oil consumption is less than 1 quart in 3,000 miles.
Nevr did overheat or leak anything externally, no coolant in the oil. The old gasket had a split in the metal gland seal for the oil feed to the head, and oil was getting through the split, between the layers of the head gasket, and into the coolant passage closest to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom