Pole Barn Suppliers, Service, Quality, Pricing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,
I thought it would be a helpful to have a common area for people to post info about their sheet metal style pole barns. List the features of your pole barn, things you would do differently next time, customer service of the supplier, quality of their product, etc....Please tell us your building brand, size, if you did the assembly yourself, and the building cost (if you don't mind of course). If you can post some pics that would be a plus. Typical suppliers here in the upper midwest are:

Cleary
Cleary Building Corp. - Serving Clients Since 1978

Morton
Morton Buildings – Pole Barns, Horse Barns, Metal Buildings | Morton Buildings

Northland
Quality Post Frame Buildings | Northland Buildings Inc.

Walters
Metal Steel Farm Storage Horse Pole Barns Post Frame Sheds Buildings

Wick
Post Frame Steel Buildings | Ag, Equestrian, Commercial | Wick Buildings

I will start with what I asked for quotes last year:

40 x 60 x 16 or 36 x 64 x 16 (non-insulated) with standard trusses
1 - 16 x 10 overhead door (insulated) on the end wall
4 - 30 x 30 sliding windows
1 - 3 x 7 mandoor (no window)
12-18" overhang on all sides
Ridge-vent

Cleary was about 36,000 installed (sent quote without seeing the site)
Morton was about 48,000 installed (sent quote without seeing the site)
Northland was about 32,000 installed (sent quote after quick site visit)
Wolter was about 52,000 installed (sent quote after detailed site visit)
Wick was about 40,000 installed (no formal quote, but based on similar local building that was recently completed)

Averaging about $41,600

I have not pulled the trigger yet because I am struggling with the fact that I should be able to do the assembly myself with any friends that show up (when they hear about the free beer, brats, & burgers). Doing the assembly would save between $5,000-$8,000 depending on the supplier. They all claimed about 1 week for them to assemble on my prepped and ready site (no concrete). For some reason they all wanted more if the concrete was done first. This makes no sense to me as it would seem to be easier & thus cheaper to bolt to concrete. No post holes to dig, etc....

One other thing that frustrates me is are the quotes I received for bringing 200A service, natural gas, and water to the building (about 400 ft away from the house). One company, Roman Electric was $12,000 to do all of it and provide stubs in the barn. After receiving his quote I had a few questions about it and left numerous voicemails asking for a return call, never getting one. Dropped them faster than a Jeep drops axle retaining c-clips.

It’s my cousins building company based out of Denver and they manufacture in in North Dakota. Let me know if it interests you and I’ll put you in contact with her. Multi generation run company.

It’s my cousins building company based out of Denver and they manufacture in in North Dakota. Let me know if it interests you and I’ll put you in contact with her. Multi generation run company.
Seems like some good deals in the closeouts section :cheers:. I have sent them an email for more info. I would like to see an assembly video or instruction sheet to see what type of equipment would be needed.

I went through this drama several years ago, and when it was all said and done I went with a local builder that did a great job.
This is what I learned.
The local building inspectors will give outside 'pole barn companies' a harder time that locals that they know. This means delays in inspections and more nit picking.
You generally need to have your site ready before they show up, so now your the general contractor and if you need to bore the post holes, that means you are now in the inspection loop. Sure hope they are all perfectly centered and right on the depth.
If you need to make some adjustments or changes, a local builder is much easier to deal with.
The local guy will know when to schedule the concrete and it will be included in the cost at a much better cost.
Getting local utility guys is also easier if your local builder is in the loop.
Lastly if you need a warranty repair or after construction modification the local guy is close so you can reach out and 'touch' him.
Also, some of the 'all steel' barns are limited in their clear span, which means you might have poles where didnt want them.

The picture below is my 36 x 48 barn. 12' ceiling in the center section, 10' in the 'leanto' section.
4 10' x 8' rollup doors
1 3' x 6'-8" man door
2 12 x 12 sliding doors ( this is a very bad Idea and will never do it again)
2 windows on each end and 2 along the back side.
R-7 insulation under the roof panels.
4" concrete
all prep work and permits.

$48,000

Good luck
Bobmo

IMG_0208.JPG

DSC00096.JPG

I went through this drama several years ago, and when it was all said and done I went with a local builder that did a great job.
This is what I learned.
The local building inspectors will give outside 'pole barn companies' a harder time that locals that they know. This means delays in inspections and more nit picking.
You generally need to have your site ready before they show up, so now your the general contractor and if you need to bore the post holes, that means you are now in the inspection loop. Sure hope they are all perfectly centered and right on the depth.
If you need to make some adjustments or changes, a local builder is much easier to deal with.
The local guy will know when to schedule the concrete and it will be included in the cost at a much better cost.
Getting local utility guys is also easier if your local builder is in the loop.
Lastly if you need a warranty repair or after construction modification the local guy is close so you can reach out and 'touch' him.
Also, some of the 'all steel' barns are limited in their clear span, which means you might have poles where didnt want them.

The picture below is my 36 x 48 barn. 12' ceiling in the center section, 10' in the 'leanto' section.
4 10' x 8' rollup doors
1 3' x 6'-8" man door
2 12 x 12 sliding doors ( this is a very bad Idea and will never do it again)
2 windows on each end and 2 along the back side.
R-7 insulation under the roof panels.
4" concrete
all prep work and permits.

$48,000

Good luck
Bobmo

View attachment 1877952

View attachment 1877977
Hi Bob, your barn/garage looks great! Thanks for the valuable information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom