Plumbing ARB dual compressor? Hose material question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a ARB dual compressor mounted under the hood on my 100 series land cruiser (using the slee bracket) and have mounted the quick disconnect inside my front bumper. Currently the pump will only be used for airing up tires, but in the future I might add air lockers. I likely will not be using air tools on this, but again that might change in the future. I plumbed in the hose to the front bumper using 1/4" ID 3/8" OD polyurethane tubing (mcmaster carr PN 5648K26). I was airing up my tires today for the first time (doing all 4, 33" tires, from 20 PSI to 40 PSI) and on the third tire i had a hose failure a few inches from the compressor (tubing burst). Tubing was warm but not hot. I trimmed a section off and re connected it to the pump (plumbed in using push to connect fittings). Subsequent re-pressurization caused the hose to blow out of the fitting.

Anyways, that's a long way of asking- what is the best material for plumbing in this sort of line? The PU hose is rated to 170PSI @ 72*F with a max rated temp of 180*F. I would like to use the existing press fit connectors that i have, however can definitely change to hose barb + hose clamps if that is more typical.

Thanks!

As you say, the tubing is rated at 170PSI @ 72℉ and a max rated temp of 180℉ - but that means the max pressure is at 72℉ and will go down as you reach 180℉. I have no idea what the actual specs are, but basically you might only be rated at 100psi at 120℉. Those little compressors tend to heat up quite a bit and not only could the tube hold less pressure at higher temperatures, but it will also become more pliable - and then be more likely to slip off fittings.

As you say, the tubing is rated at 170PSI @ 72℉ and a max rated temp of 180℉ - but that means the max pressure is at 72℉ and will go down as you reach 180℉. I have no idea what the actual specs are, but basically you might only be rated at 100psi at 120℉. Those little compressors tend to heat up quite a bit and not only could the tube hold less pressure at higher temperatures, but it will also become more pliable - and then be more likely to slip off fittings.
Yeah, i realized that now; I didn't expect so much heat to transfer into the hose. Any recommendations on a suitable alternative? What is everyone else using? I have seen others using compression fittings (ARB uses them for plumbing their lockers, but those are possibly insulated from the heat due to the manifold).

I am using this

Screenshot_20200410-073526_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200410-073516_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I came off the arb manifold with coper, soft turn 90, 5 inch straight copper to push connect fitting. 4 years hasn't failed.
The copper allows the heat to dissipate before flex hose.
I started same way as OP, melted hose.

I have my air compressor system with standard industrial air tubes since 17 years , pumped up tires endeless time , never a failure.
The tubes are made in Ryslan ,standard in the air distribution sector.
Lately I even used them for hot water distribution , with no issues.
Buy quality,and be happy forever, you will be surprised that it is cheper .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom