Please protect your catalytic converters! $$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Crackheads are on the rise in Portland, OR, and the surrounding area. Mine was sawed off at 5 pm on a Sunday in a business parking lot!

Quote from Toyota dealership. Good thing insurance covers 100% of the cost.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 175645.png

I thought about removing my skid plates last summer. Decided not to partly because of this.

Crazy. Sorry to hear, but glad insurance is doing their part. Thieves cause $4500 in damage to get themselves a few hundred. Ugh...

Wow mine both got stolen here in Denver, 5,100$ total. People suck. Definitely going for some skids when I can afford. For now they are stamped and painted. Supposedly it’s better than nothing..

what does painting do? like spray paint? wouldn't it just burn off?

what does painting do? like spray paint? wouldn't it just burn off?
It’s a high temp paint that doesn’t burn off, it does come in a rattle can. Theoretically with the marking, auto parts stores and scrapyards aren’t supposed to buy them.

I thought about removing my skid plates last summer. Decided not to partly because of this.

Crazy. Sorry to hear, but glad insurance is doing their part. Thieves cause $4500 in damage to get themselves a few hundred. Ugh...
I'm assuming you're running aftermarket skids? I'm currently running no skids after chucking the rusty and broken skids after undercoating and I forget if they protect the cats.
I am planning on replacing with OEM once I get the funds together, but now I wonder if I should just for after market.

Last edited:
Dissent or Slee skids will give you some peace of mind in both off and sadly now on road.

Kinda makes me want to run straight pipes. Can't steal what isn't there.
Good idea, nothing like having your neighbors pay for new cats :rofl:

Crackheads are on the rise in Portland, OR, and the surrounding area. Mine was sawed off at 5 pm on a Sunday in a business parking lot!

Quote from Toyota dealership. Good thing insurance covers 100% of the cost.

View attachment 2913741
Ugh, this happened to me while parked in the PDX economy lot back in November, sorry to hear you got hit.

May I ask who your insurer is and if you have anything extra on the policy to cover OEM parts? My insurer would only cover the cheapest parts possible, not even CARB approved ones. It was really frustrating. I have USAA, but I am obviously shopping around.

What kinda paint folks? Which works best? The Rustolium 2000° one?

We just swapped out both cats and O2 sensors for a customer EPA CARB EO# Cats (Walker) and Denso 02 sensors for 1393.19 out the door on his 06.
Crazy good prices you guys have. My LC has 320k miles, so I'm even surprised they covered OEM without any questions.

Ugh, this happened to me while parked in the PDX economy lot back in November, sorry to hear you got hit.

May I ask who your insurer is and if you have anything extra on the policy to cover OEM parts? My insurer would only cover the cheapest parts possible, not even CARB approved ones. It was really frustrating. I have USAA, but I am obviously shopping around.
Shouldn't PDX pay for this since you paid for gated parking? I use Geico for many years now, they have been always great and the cheapest by far. They like to push their own repair shops but the law in Oregon says that you can pick any repair shop that you want.
The dealer has told me that they don't make aftermarket cats for LC 100, so that's why they had to install OEM. Not sure if that's true because Trail Tailor mentioned above that they install aftermarket.

The dealers just don't usually touch aftermarket parts for a repair. I tried to get a new OEM cat for my 99 in December when it was stolen, but the OEM part is NLA for 98-02 so they told me to just come pick up the truck. I had another shop install a Magnaflow and it's been working fine, aftermarket options are definitely out there. In the case of 98-02, they're the only option now.

Reactions: GTV
I'm going through the stolen cat process in Atlanta right now. It's likely organized crime. Cats are thrown into a container and shipped overseas. Similarly, there's a story out there about high-end mountain bikes being re-sold at 80% of retail price from a (now closed) web retailer based in Mexico.

I'm going through the stolen cat process in Atlanta right now. It's likely organized crime. Cats are thrown into a container and shipped overseas. Similarly, there's a story out there about high-end mountain bikes being re-sold at 80% of retail price from a (now closed) web retailer based in Mexico.

You're making me paranoid over here in Smyrna. I've noticed a couple of trucks with limo tinted windows slowly rolling by when my LC is parked outside the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom