Please help with Brake Servo/Vacuum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If anyone knows about the later brake systems, PLEASE HELP....I recently took off the end of the check valve hose that goes from the servo and connects to the intake manifold. I had to get it out of the way to take the manifold out. Anyway, I put everything back and connected the hose again. ever since, when I first push the brake pedal, I hear air from the pedal area. After a few pushes, it is quiet again. I also found that the front brake pads are almost snug against the disc when the pedal is not even pushed in. The wheel is hard to turn when jacked up. When driving, the truck randomly pulls to the sides (both.) Aside from that, the braking seems okay. I bled the master cylinder and all 4 wheel cylinders but this had no effect at all. I still hear air whoosh for a few pumps and the trtuck still goes this way and that. Is this a vaccum leak or something else??? More importantly, how do I fix it? I'd like to get that fixed before winter driving.
Thanks in advance

Sorry, forgot this...stock federal '78 fj40

booster/servo leaking. needs rebuild/replace. SOR will swap it for $$$. Bailey (CruisinGA) found a cheaper source.

Everytime i push in my brakes it whooshes for the first 1/2 and then the brakes engage and it sounds normal, Is this Normal?? or do i need to fix it.. i dont want to be another lions back this year in moab...

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=6531;start=msg53058#msg53058 date=1066694006]
Everytime i push in my brakes it whooshes for the first 1/2 and then the brakes engage and it sounds normal, Is this Normal?? or do i need to fix it.. i dont want to be another lions back this year in moab...
[/quote]
Intermittent Whoosh is normal especially when pressing the pedal AFAIK. What is not good is a constant hiss. Especially when the brakes are not depressed.
Read the diagnostic tip on SOR's brake booster page. It will tell you.

I sure don't hear any whoosh since replacing my booster. But maybe my ears are just so much older than yours, Bailey..... :flipoff2:

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=6531;start=msg53178#msg53178 date=1066713563]
I sure don't hear any whoosh since replacing my booster. But maybe my ears are just so much older than yours, Bailey..... :flipoff2:
[/quote]
Everyone be nice to Dave, he can't do much anymore. I'd be suprised if he can even read his Vin off the ID plate anymore. :flipoff2:
To hear the whoosh my head has to pretty much be underneath the dash. Its not audible from driving position.

Oh yeah, the whoosh has to do (at least in my case) with brakes that are not properly adjusted and have more pedal travel than they should. I'm waiting until I swap minitruck discs on until I really get my brakes adjusted right.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6531;start=msg53497#msg53497 date=1066785485]
To hear the whoosh my head has to pretty much be underneath the dash. [/quote]

Don't know why you are driving around with your head between your knees, Bailey, but maybe it's a 17 thing.... :eek:

Lol, no I was standing outside my car with the truck off, tryin to get my dysfunctional brake light switch to disengage, when I noticed the whoosh. :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom