Please help FJ62 clicks but won't crank over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I realize this is an old thread but perhaps my experience might be of some help to someone.

My 89 fj62 had the click no start intermittently for a long time. I finally got stuck. I have replaced relay, starter, starter ground wire, ignition switch. It still happened fairly regularly but cycling key a few times usually fired it. This time was no go.

So I had no start in a parking lot. Jumpstart from another vehicle yielded same results. So......I figured it had to be wiring. I ran one leg of my jumper cable from the main + terminal on the starter directly to the + battery post and the old girl fired right up.

I just finished making and installing new +\- 2 gauge battery cables with 2 x 5/16 crimped ends, heat shrink covers. I am confident i finally have it...... knock on wood. In hindsight I should have gone at this smple, basic solution in the first place. Sometimes it is the simple stuff.

Couple of pointers in case reader doesn't know. Buy a hand held hydraulic crimping tool. Cheap. Life is easier if you remove air cleaner box to get to where ground wite is attached and running new cables nice and neat. Note the air box is mounted with 3 14mm(?) bolts: 2 are obvious but one is accessed from the wheel well outside. Look above the tire about 1:00.

The next time you get this issue, try what i did. If it starts you have narrowed things down. Hopefully you won't have to lay down in a slushy parking lot like i did....fortunately i had a tarp in the rig. 34 year old battery cables i guess go bad although i think the issues are really the exposed crimped ends rather than the actual cable itself.

Cheers

I realize this is an old thread but perhaps my experience might be of some help to someone.

My 89 fj62 had the click no start intermittently for a long time. I finally got stuck. I have replaced relay, starter, starter ground wire, ignition switch. It still happened fairly regularly but cycling key a few times usually fired it. This time was no go.

So I had no start in a parking lot. Jumpstart from another vehicle yielded same results. So......I figured it had to be wiring. I ran one leg of my jumper cable from the main + terminal on the starter directly to the + battery post and the old girl fired right up.

I just finished making and installing new +\- 2 gauge battery cables with 2 x 5/16 crimped ends, heat shrink covers. I am confident i finally have it...... knock on wood. In hindsight I should have gone at this smple, basic solution in the first place. Sometimes it is the simple stuff.

Couple of pointers in case reader doesn't know. Buy a hand held hydraulic crimping tool. Cheap. Life is easier if you remove air cleaner box to get to where ground wite is attached and running new cables nice and neat. Note the air box is mounted with 3 14mm(?) bolts: 2 are obvious but one is accessed from the wheel well outside. Look above the tire about 1:00.

The next time you get this issue, try what i did. If it starts you have narrowed things down. Hopefully you won't have to lay down in a slushy parking lot like i did....fortunately i had a tarp in the rig. 34 year old battery cables i guess go bad although i think the issues are really the exposed crimped ends rather than the actual cable itself.

Cheers
By the way, the clicking i was hearing i assumed was the solenoid engaging. The starter itself I figured wasn't getting sufficient amps to fire up. At least that's my thinking....we'll see. I keep the tarp and jumpers in the rig just in case.

Good battery…maybe has bad cell?
Mine had been “good”, But died today - my mediocre questionable multimeter testing skills gave a reading of
11.3- 12.4 -I contributed the range based on my shakiness 😂 battery’s scare the dickens out of me. If the terminals need to be disconnected I am laughed out of garage cause I wear rubber boots and use a very long handled wooden spoon.

Anyway today it wasn’t enough to turn over, but just enough to get ignition beeps, a click and dash lights - not radio though. Had to charge it and tada.
I’ll bring it to Napa tomorrow for real test and probably a swap. I suspect at some point I’ll need to replace the alternator- I don’t think it’s been touch since she was born?
I’m happy to take any suggestions on alternators

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom