Pleading assistance on the beaten horse and over read desmog threads... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Correct. I got VCV and VSV mixed up (again). For some reason I was thinking air injection VSV, not EVAP VCV. Oops.

If the carb base angled pipe is plugged, you don't need a VCV on the driver's side (EVAP).

View attachment 1354683
I could get one... and have one on order from Cruiserparts tho it has yet to arrive so I am beginning to think the order didn't go through as it seemed. SHOULD I bother or not? IF I got one the disconnected hose/pipe which is the purge line for my charcoal canister could be hooked up as it should be. I recently gutted, cleaned and refilled my canister so I do know its able to filter (barring if the solenoid is working which I did not test). As well as the pipe below the carb insulator that would be hooked to a drivers side VCV as well, correct?

Okay so after I got off my desktop I got in bed at 1:20AM and another friend linked this to me as well via PM... I started to read it and am astonished at its clarity. Where the F has this been hiding? I had sifted through the 50+ pages of the desmog plus those others and never once stumbled on this one. @Toyoland66, thank you so much for enlightening me with your easier to read and far more clear photos. Wow. I commented above to Output but feel that maybe my comments and questions should be more directed to you. If you have time would you read through them? I am going to go back to the guide now and digest it further and print what I can as well. Huge thanks to you!

79-80 may help but you need the 81-87 desmog post

So I have the FJ60 Desmog PDF that is 24 pages... I added notes ect from Roma's desmog thread and the "My desmog keeping HAC..." thread as well. Tell me then if the other guide listed above isn't pertinent to me and you know where exactly to look, then direct me instead of just talking.

Here's the vacuum switch and diagram how it's routed.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's a Hot Air Intake duct attached to bottom of air cleaner neck. The black one shown is the Toyota duct (NLA). You can get a replacement silvery Gates duct on eBay.

GATES 7743-00555 DUCT HOSE 55MM X 500MM

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After looking over those guides, I find all those desmog guides unnecessarily confusing and too much stuff is removed to the detriment of the engine. Making a mountain out of a mole hill. The best -desmog guide- is the emissions FSM. It explains everything.

The only systems that are worthwhile removing are the smog pump with air injection paraphernalia and the EGR system. And the CAT if youre into that. That's it. Removing anything else makes the engine run worse.

This is true, 79-80 are somewhat unique, almost a transition setup between the earlier FJ40 system and the later FJ60 system. However, the different components function the same way. Some look slightly different and have different vacuum source.

HAI/ HIC is one that I know is different between 79-80 and 81-87, this should be hooked up according to the diagram @Output Shaft has in post #26, the system is combined in the FJ60 and does not have the HIC (gold box) attached to the carb.

After looking over those guides, I find all those desmog guides unnecessarily confusing and too much stuff is removed to the detriment of the engine. Making a mountain out of a mole hill. The best -desmog guide- is the emissions FSM. It explains everything.

The only systems that are worthwhile removing are the smog pump with air injection paraphernalia and the EGR system. And the CAT if youre into that. That's it. Removing anything else makes the engine run worse.

Agreed, the way mine is configured removes the EGR, AI, and choke opener, the rest of the systems are intact. With the exception of EVAP the other systems aren't really smog related.

Another thing that's different between 79-80 and 81-87 is the vacuum source(s) for HAI, CB, and dist cap VCV. On the 79-80 these three items are all fed from the same fitting on the top of the carb, in the 81-87 these items each have their own vacuum sources. In the 81-87 the vacuum for these items is as follows:

CB (choke breaker) is supplied from the fitting on the top of the carb
HAI (and HIC) are supplied from the T fitting on the PCV valve
Dist cap VCV is supplied by the gas filter

These three sources (fitting on top of carb, T on PCV, gas filter) all supply manifold vacuum, so any one of these three sources can be used to supply any one or all 3 of these items.

The cleanest way as @Output Shaft explained in post 18 & 19, is to use the PCV valve T to supply both the HAI and dist cap VCV, all three of these items (PCV T, VCV, and HAI) are on the passenger side of the engine.

Felicity... I read this entire thread. I have to print out another emissions FSM because I loaned mine out, but we can knock this out in less than an hour over the phone, FaceTime, Skype, text... Keep your HAC ;P

Felicity... I read this entire thread. I have to print out another emissions FSM because I loaned mine out, but we can knock this out in less than an hour over the phone, FaceTime, Skype, text... Keep your HAC ;P
Thanks Ryan, but me and @Cruiser Jimmy did just that yesterday. The coolness of facetime is amazing. Thanks again Jim!

Runs but carb def needs fine tuning and most likely a recurve as well as a valve adjustment too... Yesterday after all the vac hose changes... still peters out if choke is pushed in fully. So many factors have been changed. I can hear an intermittent whistle and as it does the vac gauge pulsates. Gauge is reading 22-25. I had pixs and video but of course my phone selectively decided what to save and what not, will try again with another phone/ipod if the wind settles later today. Child in my midst's, temps a frigid 32, wind crazy so not getting much done on her today. @landcrusher909 please chime in if you have time before nap.
Idle Mix out 3 turns from closed fully... Idle Speed tweaked in from being out and barely touching plate but can't hear any changes from it? Tho idle clearly affected if Fast Idle screw tweaked as well.
I need to do the green wire mod (I know, NOT the green wire)... I cut the yellow black striped wire and ground it to carb body.... @roadstr6 anychance you have a good pix of where you grounded yours? I checked your thread and couldn't see it well. Dave, I did get the parts I need for the recurve but want to get her simply running first unless that might be fruitless as keeping her running may be more dependent on that recurve than I realize...

I currently have my desmog mentally figured out except Jim has my carb and dizzy, so we'll see.

I feel like demogging is a right of passage or something but why are there not pictures of a perfectly desmogged engine bay so fellow cruiser enthusiast can essentially "copy" a well done set up. Maybe there is and i don't know.

Felicity look in my build thread as I grounded it to the screw that holds the clip for the green plug of the ICS. You will be fiddling for a while with getting things just right.

For your whistle, just go through and make sure that all your vac lines are pushed fully on. They were all new lines correct? I have been running my truck without recurving the carb or dizzy for the desmog just fine for 3yrs+ now. Eventually I will send off to Jim to take care of it properly (or get a Trollhole or Racer65 desmogged carb).

Felicity look in my build thread as I grounded it to the screw that holds the clip for the green plug of the ICS. You will be fiddling for a while with getting things just right.

For your whistle, just go through and make sure that all your vac lines are pushed fully on. They were all new lines correct? I have been running my truck without recurving the carb or dizzy for the desmog just fine for 3yrs+ now. Eventually I will send off to Jim to take care of it properly (or get a Trollhole or Racer65 desmogged carb).
Cool man, thanks. Any chance you have a post number on that green wire mod? I would gather your build is many pages.... unless you'd like to see my comments page by page. ;)I honestly have only just begun really looking at build threads and they are damn awesome. Many above and beyond what I will be able to financially do... So far I'm stuck in the nitty gritty and am rebuilding what HAS to be due to basic maintenance needs so the damned, but lovely Badass truck will run better....

Been awhile since I showed off my Badass, so here she is again with the mutts.... forget it. Darn mud and my desktop are bratty teases and won't accept a pix.

I currently have my desmog mentally figured out except Jim has my carb and dizzy, so we'll see.

I feel like demogging is a right of passage or something but why are there not pictures of a perfectly desmogged engine bay so fellow cruiser enthusiast can essentially "copy" a well done set up. Maybe there is and i don't know.
I hear you man and I get your desire. Seems there isn't really. Per area you live in, what you need for your truck and its needs they all vary.... And who you talk to as well, some think you should keep xyz others think not. Its a gamble. Gotta do the research, ask around and hope you nail it right once you have all the necessary facts AND understand the system. I'll be honest it still all doesn't quite make 100% sense... Jim K first off asked if I understood what each were for and why and how they work together, uh, yes and no... I had to draw out my own sketch but it gradually became a mess of lines and arrows all over the page. I may redraw it now once I have it all "right" and see if I can understand it better once its all said and done.

The way I figured out desmog as well as how it all works was to read the fj60 desmog guide AND the FSM for emissions , the combo of the 2 made it all make sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom