Plastic Door Trim/Guards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
The color coded plastic that runs down the middle of the doors and fenders......

Is that something you buy from Toyota already painted to the code of your Cruiser ir does it come bare and you paint it?

Mine looks like crap and the textured stuff is faded.

Wondering if this is an easy fix (order up the parts and pop them on) or if I was getting into the paint shop to do it.

I have the exact question! anyone? anyone?

They come already painted and are held on by a combination of plastic clips and double sided tape. You can install them yourself, cleaning up the old adhesive can be a pain. Helps if you have a rubber eraser wheel like detailers/body shops use, mounts to a drill and cleans off old double sided tape etc very effectively. BTW, if you have a white 100 I have a brand new beige right rear 1/4 molding if you're interested.

They come already painted and are held on by a combination of plastic clips and double sided tape. You can install them yourself, cleaning up the old adhesive can be a pain. Helps if you have a rubber eraser wheel like detailers/body shops use, mounts to a drill and cleans off old double sided tape etc very effectively. BTW, if you have a white 100 I have a brand new beige right rear 1/4 molding if you're interested.

Hit up kickboxr99 about that trim piece. He might be interested.

A single rear quarter piece lost in a car wash ran me about $70 from cdan. Cleaning the old foam tape took a little while. Install was easy.

If I needed a color match I would price out new parts vs. paint shop.

New parts are about 900 bones at a discount. Probably way better off to repaint the already painted items.

New parts are about 900 bones at a discount. Probably way better off to repaint the already painted items.

I need to just start listening to you the first time...

I am going to paint mine white, same color as the car.

Bedliner on the outside of any vehicle makes me want to puke.

$900. Yuck. Mine is chipped and not happy when I hit it with a pressure washer.

I need to order up my sliders and have them painted all at the same time.

get the matching dupli-color in an aerosol can.

get some blue masking tape and some newspaper.

get some 400-grit sandpaper.

acetone for cleaning/prep and a cotton t-shirt that you can throw away as a rag.

slowly and methodically apply tape at edges of offending trim. tape newspaper at least 18" around said trim in all directions to cover paint from overspray.

sand the trim to prep for the paint. don't sand all the old paint off, just rough up the surface so that the finish is nice and dull. douse t-shirt in acetone and wipe sanding residue off of trim. now douse a new area of the tshirt and wipe it down again with a clean area of the rag.

using the paint, spray VERY thin coats. you'll want to cover the old paint after about 4-5 coats. stop when you get to about coat number 7 or so. remember, VERY thin works MUCH better than 2-3 heavier coats.

PATIENCE pays off when painting.

allow to dry thoroughly THEN remove the paper. AFTER that, remove the blue tape at the edges. stand back and pop a top on a frosty brew and admire your handywork.

if you're doing only the door trim, then a couple cans will probably be enough. if you're doing the bumpers too, you'd better get one can per coat, plus a couple spares to make sure you have enough.

I picked up the matching Duplicolor at a Napa w/ a paint shop. They had the color codes, but the finish was flat. Bama hit it right on. The only thing I did different was to add a coat of plastic adhesive primer prior to the paint. If you want a little sheen add a poly/clear coat on top of the paint.

It's not an exciting job, but the results are worth the tedious and methodical effort. Skol

I agree except that I would change the paint prep just a bit. I would tape loosely, sand, then remove the tape and wash the area with dawn. Once thoroughly dry tape very carefully, wipe with degreaser/acetone and paint as previously stated. The only catch would be anywhere that is chipped enough that you are sanding to bare plastic to get it smooth. If that happens, use bulldog primer/adhesion promoter before spraying the color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom