pitting in primer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sanding my primer and there is pitting. Even after I get all of the guide coat off there are still some pits. I have sanded down to the old paint in some places and it is frustrating. The picture shows the pitting as darker spots, with more sanding done at bottom.

some say it is too dry, add more reducer, some say the tip is too small and should bump to 2.0 (google)

Experienced painters please help.

IMG_2491.jpg

Could be either of those things or a combination. Either way, it didn’t lay down very smoothly. Be sure to use adequate lighting and watch it lay down carefully to ensure its going on wet and smoothly.

By too dry, I usually think of too much air and not enough paint flow. It is possible, however that the wrong temp reduced was used (or not enough) and that it began flashing too quickly.

Whatever the cause, it’s best to shoot a scrap test panel and watch how it lays down prior to shooting the car.

Look at the bright side, this thing shiuld be straight as an arrow after blocking the second coat of primer!

ok, live and learn. I did test it out before hand and it looked great to me, but I didnt know what to look for i guess.

I plan on sanding the whole thing with 320, then re-spraying after making sure I can produce a smooth coat. Thanks

What tip are you using on your gun? Most info says that primers can be sprayed with a 1.4 to 2.0mm tip. When I was first messing around and trying I found that the 1.4mm tip on my cheap purple HF gun didn't like the DTM primer I was using (which a lot of people said the gun didn't like ANY primers) so I drilled it out to approximately a 1.8mm tip and it flowed great after that. Food for thought?

I am pretty sure it is the 1.4 tip, the kit came with a 2.0.

Ok, just talked to the folks at the local paint shop and I am going to spot putty the really pitted spots and deep sctratches that still show, then go over with 1000 grit.

What tip does the primer recommend? If it’s a high build surfacer, I bet it’s at least a 1.8 tip.

1000 grit is way overkill and would take you forever to sand. I would stick with 600.

Last edited:
I agree but the guy convinced me because (he said) the 1000 will cut the glaze down without knocking down the primer, any coarser and you will dig out the glaze

If you are cutting through to original paint I would recommend throwing another layer of primer on there. Buy another quart an throw it down with the 2.0 tip and bet it lays down nicer like @Splangy said.

If you are cutting through to original paint I would recommend throwing another layer of primer on there. Buy another quart an throw it down with the 2.0 tip and bet it lays down nicer like @Splangy said.

I agree. Don't waste your time with putty when this is probably the best option.

You don't say what primer you're using, but I agree with the others to lay down another high-build primer coat and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom