Pioneer Radio Install, now whistling and static (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I did a huge maintenance service with my mechanic the other day and I had the Pioneer FH-X700BT radio installed (picture attached). Great radio, has bluetooth for music and phone calls, etc.

Never had this issue before with the factory unit, but now it's whistling and has static on every "source" -- whether it's the am/fm radio, the bluetooth, the usb connect.

I called the guy and he told me to bring it in. He said if it's not the radio, then the mechanic should have the alternator checked. He said that the alternator can produce noise through aftermarket radios, and not necessarily factory units.
Are those two even related?

Anyway, thoughts??
Other than that, I'm happy with it
:cheers:

radio.jpg

The new head unit is picking up radio frequency noise off the alternator or ignition.
The noise is probably coming through the 12v input to the head unit.

You should try an RF filter in the 12v input wire to the head unit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003S25A/American-International-S-25A.html

If you are using a separate amplifier, you may also need a filter on the power line to the amp.

How do you like that head unit?

I almost bought the same pioneer double-din a couple weeks ago for my 98 LC. I like the big volume knob right in the middle and thought it would go well with the 3-knob climate control... talked myself out of it because the original factory stereo on my 1998 Land Cruiser still works perfectly - the original single disc in-dash CD player has NEVER skipped... strange but true.

I hope the RF filter on the 12v power line works for you- send some pictures of the pioneer install.
Did you also replace the speakers? :beer:

^^ this - must have.

I had the same problem after I installed an amp and new head unit. The whining noise that I got was the cheap RCA plug wires were picking up a signal from the alternator. I ended having to buy a new eighty dollar RCA wire and that solved the problem. I think it was called 'Stinger'.

I have the older version of that head unit and have low static noise, can hear more prominently at lower volume.

Hello,
In addition to the above recommendations, another common culprit for engine noise is when the ground location. More often than not, car manufacturers have all the grounding in the same place. Moving the location of the ground wire can often fix this issue.
Best,
JJ

The static and the whistling are both really bad. I'm taking it back to the stereo guy this week to have him install the filter @marshotel is talking about. Thanks for the help.

Other than this noise, it's a great unit. Makes for great handsfree talking and streaming of the music via bluetooth or direct usb connect is fantastic. I don't know why I never got an aftermarket unit sooner

The static and the whistling are both really bad. I'm taking it back to the stereo guy this week to have him install the filter @marshotel is talking about. Thanks for the help.

Other than this noise, it's a great unit. Makes for great handsfree talking and streaming of the music via bluetooth or direct usb connect is fantastic. I don't know why I never got an aftermarket unit sooner
Does the whistling stop when you shut off the stereo, and/or does it decrease in volume when you decrease the stereo volume?

Another good check, is if the sound is there with the car off, or if it is only when running. If it is the ground, I think it will happen with both, otherwise, line noise fixed with a line filter.

Not sure it applies to all Pioneer units but sometimes whine and noise can be attributed to a blown pico fuse on the internal chassis. Not overly hard to fix, but impossible to describe given the many different models made by Pioneer. The fuse usually gets blown by some mishap in handling the RCA output plugs, and/or cables going to an external amp.

Here's a YouTube video on it, and there are many web discussions on the subject (happened to me in a previously owned Tacoma).

Did the installation of the 12v noise filter solve your problem? I am having a similar issue with my new Kenwood Headunit...

Reviving this thread. Did the filter help? I have an Alpine double din that i installed years ago and it's done this for as long as I can remember. I just turn up the volume so I can't hear it....would like to get it fixed though.

If the factory amplifier is still being used, that is really the problem.

I know this is easier and retains the factory sub, but nobody deserves the whine torture of engine noise through the speakers.

There are some adapters/configurations that work better than others if you really must retain the factory amp. You could try a different kind.

Some of the band aids/fixes mentioned may work, but the real problem is the old amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom