Pinion Preload / while turning or initial? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Hi!
Im doing a ARB install. Whenever i have done Pinion preload i have allways done it by gut feeling, nothing wrong with that, but this time i want to do it by the book.

My question is.

• Is it the torque while turning?
• Or is it initial- the torque thats needed overcome the friction to get it to turn?

I know there is a couple of threads on this topic, but there was only one reply that gives an answer. Does anyone else know whats right?

For 80 series the TOYOTA FSM states "while turning". If it is in question I'd use while turning personally. ANy I've done haven't been too different anyway. Probably less than 3 to 5 in-lb difference from static to turning.

Ok, so you mean its while turning?
Thats "so why" i asked the question again :) Thats the oposite of what the other thread said. Whos correct!? :D

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/59324-pinion-preload-question.html

There are probably two spec numbers so it could be "right" either way. From a quick glance it looks like about 20 in lbs static and 5-8 in lbs dynamic before you put in the carrier, based on a quick read. I could check the FSM when I get home if you don't get another answer. I suppose I was guessing based on front end rebuild specs and measurements, which are typically dynamic.

Ok, this is in a 80 series manual (check the attatchment), but i have the same text in my 40s manual.
It says (at starting). Do they mean that its the torque needed to get it to rotate? I think Toyota should have explained it a bit more.

And one other question. Should there ve a big difference in initial torque and torque while rotating?
preload.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom