pinion gaurds - 80 or otherwise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a piece of armor that I found effective on my last rig, was a pinion guard. Rover center chunks have two threaded holes on the pinion casting for the stock steering dampener, that you could bolt a skid to. Is there anyone out there that has bent up/welded/made a bracket for such an animal on a cruiser?

I've beaten the livin %$$#$% outta everything on my rig...the pinions seem to hold up dandy...

WHY do you want one??

Never found the need when I was running Toyota axles...

:beer:

sorry, let me be more clear. we called them pinion gaurds, but they actually covered the u joints and pinion flange. Most commonly hit when candy striping the driveshaft or in a rock garden.

maybe I'm a crappy driver, but I have hit them more than once. I tend to take my grocery getter to the wrong neighborhoods I guess.

Last edited:
Looks like one more piece of metal to deflect and rub on the driveshaft...

Rovers need em, cruisers dont...

if you are worried about the yokes/flange/joints, don't be....they will survive most abuse than the d-shaft tube ever will....

I've always considered the yokes just one more possibility for getting un-stuck ;)

there is always a first for everything ;)

Eskimo said:
Never needed one.

I think it's cause I have always been using rather smallish tires on a long wheel base. You tend to drag more that way.

It's mainly a rock garden thing anyway. Was just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom