Pimp my leafsprings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4overlanding.de
Hi there,

I think many people here are driving with leafsprings. What did you do to improve your ride - someneth and flex ?

I drive a PZJ75, 3350Kilo fully packes and maybe 3000 empty. It's a camper so much stuff simply stays inside the car... I've put O.M.E. springs unter it, 50-100kg in the front and 600kg in the back. I regulary grrease the anti wear pads and shakel. Superpro bushing are fittet there.

We only have a stabilisation bar in the front, I wan't to fit one in the back with a disconect.

Shocks are the big adjustabel ones from Tough Dog.

What I would like to improve:

• it's a bit bumpy sometimes
  • sideroll
  • smother ride
  • more flex

THX Bastian

pic for attention :)
4x4overland_travel_-9327.jpg
4x4overland_marocco-.jpg

Ronny Dahl on Youtube went with parabolics and said they really improved his ride. PS, do you have any tips on where to find used Troopcarriers in Germany / Europe to buy?

Minute 11:00

@GooSe77 Nice Troopy! I've been looking at Parabolic leafs as well. So far, I've found the following companies that currently offer them who are all in OZ: Westralia, EFS, Tough Dog and Dobinson. Seriously considering Dobinson as they offer 400kg constant for the rears (79 Series). My only concern is the unloaded "bounce". Adjustable shocks designed for coils would be ideal.

Hello,

Parabolic leaf springs and adjustable shocks should work for you.

Stabilizer bars are available from Toyota for 73/74/75 Series if I remember correctly.

Juan

I was at Dobinsons head office in Rockhampton today and was ready to buy their parabolics, but they steered me away from them. So I ended up with these instead. 7+2 heavy duty. Constant +300kg
20171127_161526.jpg

The parabolics were more expensive too.

Well, the OME Leafs are 1 year old. I was concidering byuing parabolic springs, testdrove a 75 with some, but ather writing with people that had or have them we decided to stick with the "normal" design. I heard that over 3 tons is to much for the springs, other people twistet thiers with lighter and shorter 70's .... and then, when on a trip an a leaf breaks you run into problem for getting a new one ...

I'm thinking of putting small sheets of metal between the leafs in the middle so that they have a gap and have less friction, kinda like the parabolic.

Did anybody change from good adjustable shocks to something like FOX ? Is that a noticeible differenc ?

@MarkBC - Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen bei AutoScout24 is a platform you can search in Germany and other countries. Or All American Imports. If your willing to spend some time and weld a bit there is a dealer in the Neatherlands .... Den Breems >> Import-Export Cars

@GooSe77 Nice Troopy! I've been looking at Parabolic leafs as well. So far, I've found the following companies that currently offer them who are all in OZ: Westralia, EFS, Tough Dog and Dobinson. Seriously considering Dobinson as they offer 400kg constant for the rears (79 Series). My only concern is the unloaded "bounce". Adjustable shocks designed for coils would be ideal.
I Only founf parabolic springs at EFS and they write on theire hompage that these are imported ...

I was at Dobinsons head office in Rockhampton today and was ready to buy their parabolics, but they steered me away from them. So I ended up with these instead. 7+2 heavy duty. Constant +300kg
View attachment 1581556
The parabolics were more expensive too.
I could not find any parabolics on thier page ?
And WHY did you / they steer away ?

@GooSe77 Dobinsons are having some sag issues with their parabolics. I was told they are made overseas (thailand?.) and they use inferior steel to the normal leaf packs that are made here in Aus. EFS have noise issues (loud clangs/bangs) with their parabolics and when confronted, said its not their problem.

If you really want the parabolics, Westralia springs would be the ones to choose.

I'm also changing to King 2.5" smoothies with comp adjuster from the toughdog adjustables.

Attachments

• TOY-78.pdf
    235.7 KB · Views: 174
I'm thinking of putting small sheets of metal between the leafs in the middle so that they have a gap and have less friction, kinda like the parabolic

Most leaf springs already have plastic wedges to do the same thing. Have yours fallen out? I had OME Nitrocharger shocks with my OME rear springs and it was quite smooth.

@GooSe77 I was told they are made overseas (thailand?.) and they use inferior steel to the normal leaf packs that are made here in Aus.

Westralia are made in Malaysia and I believe it's the opposite regarding the quality of steel. i.e. the grade required cannot be sourced locally.

I'll check with Westralia as I've only read good things i.e. the poly bumper they use does not clang/bang

Thanks for the info!

Run air bags for the weight.

Air bags (over leafs) limit flex and point load the frame in an area already stressed by the additional weight. One can reinforce the frame, but that doesn't solve the flex issue. YMMV

Last edited:
Air bags (over leafs) limit flex and point load the frame in an area already stressed by the additional weight. One can reinforce the frame, but that doesn't solve the flex issue. YMMV

Guess you have not seen these...

IMG_5028.PNG

4x4 van conversion parts

Cheers

Guess you have not seen these...
Interesting design that does not limit droop. However, this kit would not work on a LC without reversing U-bolts or SOA. Options are pretty limited to parabolics... for now

Last edited:
Interesting design that does not limit droop. However, this kit would not work on a LC without reversing U-bolts or SOA. Options are pretty limited to parabolics... for now

Simple to solve that with a u-bolt flip kit.

Not many options for off the shelf bolt on. I have built three very heavy overland trucks from the ground up, the Cruisers all weighed over 8,000lbs and the Tacoma was at 6,000lbs. All three had air bags. Granted only the Tacoma was on leaf springs but it flexed better than the Troopy pictured above with air bags in it.

It is like people with shocks, they don't seem to understand that the best way to figure out what shock works best in your truck is to cycle the suspension from compressed and extended with no shocks in it and take measurements. Instead they just want to buy some off the shelf shock that will do it. I am the opposite, I want to learn what is the best way and then that is how I want to do it. At least when it comes to my uses and my applications. Like for example, the 80-series rear suspension is all messed up when you plug it into a geometry calculator but for my uses, I don't feel the need to modify it. It works for me and what I have used it for even with all it's downfalls. I even owned a diesel at one point that had a shaved sump with custom built gear driven 5-staged oil pump a custom turbo and a super charger with x2 intercoolers. Ya see, that is my style and how I like to go. Lucky for me I have for many years had friends that can build just about anything from scratch so I have learned a lot from them. Pirate4x4 helped a lot too when I was getting started. :)

If ya want to solve issues like flex and weight carrying you should look outside the box and be ready to do custom mods. I got away from just doing bolt on solutions more than 10yrs ago and went the route of solving problems and making a truck just how I want by customizing it. I have done all kinds of things people say you shouldn't do or that people don't do such as; 35" rubber on an FJ60 that was sprung under, flexed like a beast and had zero rub. I also cut & turned the axle on that SuA truck and ran a high steer kit. Rather than buy an OME off the shelf steering damper, I bought custom bits to build the bracketry myself and I installed an Icon steering damper not even for a Cruiser application. I have cut & turned an 80 that was lifted 4" to fix caster rather than install a bunch of bolt on caster correction junk. I have built my own cross members and motor mounts from scratch. And much much more. I bought tools and I learned and I went for it. For me this is the best way to solve issues or get a truck how I want because there is nobody to blame if things don't work out and it costs much less than paying somebody. Plus I enjoy learning, a challenge and working on trucks. Some people argue you can never make it better than Toyota designed it, I strongly disagree. And for me at least 50% of why I am into trucks is because I heavily enjoy making one better. Many of my ideas have been copied such as the aux fuel tank I put in my Tacoma or the custom rear bumper it had on it, hell I haven't even owned that truck since 2011 but a few months ago I got an email from a guy wanting all the build pictures of it so he could copy it. When I built an FJ142 I chopped the frame at the unconventional location because to me removing a lower link bracket made the whole job 1000x easier than cutting the frame where it is angled. This is just how I do things, I overthink and plan a lot before I execute. Seems to be a rare thing here in the 70-section, customizing things like suspension that is. I am looking forward to getting into some customizing on future 70's I own. I got all kind of ideas rolling around in my head on how to make them better without doing just bolt-ons. Troopy covered to coil springs!? Yup that sounds great! HJ75 pickup with a Chevy v8? Awesome, I can't wait! You get the idea.

And by the way converting a Troopy to coil springs will make it much easier to get good flex and carry weight. Progressive springs, in particular Slee 4" HD's. ;)

Every truck is different, and there are many types of uses for these trucks. Cookie cutter off the shelf bolt on stuff is just not for me when I am trying to solve issues but that works for the vast majority of people out there. So ya, parabolic.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom