pilot bearing removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
OK, so I have spent the last 6+ f*(&#$in hours of my miserable life trying to get this little pilot bearing to come out. I am running a 99 vortec engine out of a suburban. I have tried the grease hydraulic trick, didn't work. Borrowed a pilot bearing removal from Kragen, it kept slipping on the bearing until I finally broke one of the arms. Took it back, got a newer one, still doesn't budge, the puller just literally pulls backward and strips metal shavings from the bearing, but the bearing will not move. I am about to go crazy and have a freakin bonfire with all my cruiser parts in my backyard so if someone can help I would appreciate it. I need to make some forward progress quickly! I am trying to get all this done this weekend and I have done nothing so far.

Noah
noastoy@san.rr.com

This may not work for you but it did for me. I used two 5/16" carriage (sp?) bolts. I ground one side of the head each off (just enough so they fit). I then put the ground side of the heads "back to back" while I inserted them into the pilot bearing, hooking the unground edges under the bearing race. From here, you'll need to figure out what will work for a "spacer" to pull against. I used a small piece of hard wood with two holes drilled in it.
NOTE: When you set this up, prior to starting to tighten the nuts, DRIVE A WEDGE/CHISTLE BETWEEN THE BOLTS TO KEEP THEM WORKING AT THE EDGE OF THE BEARING. As with anything else, go slow and watch for movement.
I know it sounds hokey but it worked like a charm for me, and as well for my kids mini on his 22RE.
Good luck!

Ditto... This method works great. I used the new pilot bearing and ground just enough to get the carriage bolt through. You don't have to shim as much this way.

Sounds like a good idea but I am wondering if I am just dealing with a completely seized up bearing here? Has anyone seen these seize up completely? This thing just really seems like it is stuck in there good. Plus I have prodded and picked at it so much that I am afraid I have boogered it up so bad that nothing will pull on that back edge. One person told me that a "snap on pilot puller" works very well. THe kragen units just pull pieces of the metal and scrape the inner part of the bearing. I am thinking of going the chisel/dremel tool route but am VERY nervous about damaging the surface where the bearing sits. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

1.) HAD a pic! I was so darn happy that I snapped it...........but it's gone.

2.) Try this method. It will work as the "wedge/chistle" will keep the bolt heads working against ANYTHING that's left.

3.) I don't think a dremmel will cut through the entire race. Wherein as...............back to sqare one.

PATIENCE

I used a slide hammer on mine. The kit I have came with an attachment with a 90 degree thingy that was small enough to fit behind the pilot bearing. I just worked it out a little at a time. I've had people tell me that you can work them out using a clutch allignment tool and grease. You fill the pilot bearing with grease and insert the alignment tool. You hit the tool and the grease, in theory, will force the bearing out.
I've never tried it but inquiring minds wanted to know

I second the slide hammer, use the biggest one you can get. The 90 degree arm thingy on my slide hammer didn't fit behind the pilot bearing so I cut a notch the thickness of the pilot bearing in a piece of steel rod, then another notch further up the rod for the 90 degree thing to fit into and pull against, then I fit the notched part of the rod over the pilot bearing (think male /female connectors) and worked the pilot bearing out with a few good slams of the hammer. I know that sounds a little confusing but if you try it your self it's really a simple solution and it worked really well. :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom