Pig trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1972 Fj55 purchased from some guy in Madison. Engine has about 1000 miles on it. Buyer drove it home a last year or the year before, one week later he looses compression in number 2. Engine apears to be an F engine, 69, 70 block. 1000 Miles on fresh F, looks to be some fancy parts on this rebuild. When first looking at this engine it looked as though whoever built it paid close attentiion to detail.

#2 Exhaust valve seems to have broken at the neck and lodged itself into the #2 piston. Lost a little compression..... Pulled the head and found this.....Lots of carbon buildup around the head gasket for a low milage engine.. There is a 4 BBL Ofenhouser (sp?) intake manifold with a 4bbl Webber carb on it. Is that too much carb for this thing. I was thinnin maybe the head was shaved to much and the valve interfered....But then why would only one valve let loose....Damned if I know...

Just curious if anyone has ever seen anything like this.

Thanks, have a nice day.
pig block.jpg
pig head.jpg

That sure looks like alot of carbon for 200 miles....almost impossible to get there. Sure, the 4 barrell is to much carb for that engine. It probably actually came with a one barrell! Normally that kind of valve damage comes from over-revving. I'd only run a 4 barrell on a highly modified engine.

The stock carb for you was the 2 bbl unless the engine is 3/69 or earlier. That could have something to do with the carbon build up.

Greg-

The only time that I have seen a Land Cruiser engine drop a valve was when the valves stopped getting oiled...will do it EVERY TIME.

Weber 4Bl...Edelebrock???

Would like to see that.

Good luck!

-Steve

Last edited:
I should qualify this, Its not my truck so I am not intiamate with it. Im just trying to help a guy out.

Not sure on the carb, I hate to venture a guess buts its a 4bbl. The oil thing sounds spot on, I will have Niles give you a shout about a replacement engine.

Thanks!!

Lets see the pig. :D Is it red and white and was listed on Carsoup for a LONG time?

I personally would go back to a stock carb after I got the engine taken care of. That is just my .02.

:cheers:

SHREG said:
I will have Niles give you a shout about a replacement engine.

Thanks!!

I do not have a 'runner' ....

I have a couple that would need to be gone through...

Let me know.

-Steve

cruiserwanted said:
Lets see the pig. :D Is it red and white and was listed on Carsoup for a LONG time?

Thats the one, I was thinking someone here may have known about it. Itake it yo have seen it.... It now belongs to a neighbor of mine here in Hudson. Im just trying to help him get it going again.

Poser said:
I do not have a 'runner' ....

I have a couple that would need to be gone through...

Let me know.

-Steve

Perfect, thats what Niles is after....

Steve-

I'm at work, but I'll give you a call on your engines this afternoon. Thanks!

Here are a few pics of the beast. She's been in storage for about 18 mos. And did come up from Madison, like shreg mentioned. Thanks for all of the replies, and thanks to Greg for posting the thread and for all your help and support with the cruiser. I'm new to the cruiser and am super excited to get her on the road, even with this latest set back. Any suggestions are welcome. It's my plan to find an engine in better shape than the one I have F, or 2F as my head for sure is pretty trashed and the lower needs a ton of overhaul. What would you guys do?

CruiserNiles said:
What would you guys do?

Find a 2F, freshin or rebuild it, then drive that beast.

But you already new that. Its a solid truck, it need to be drivin for another 20+ years....

CruiserNiles said:
What would you guys do?

Nice truck Niles...

Lets see...

Small block, automatic, atlas, 4wheel discs, spring over, hy-steer, power steering, it goes on and on...

:beer:

Poser said:
Small block, automatic, atlas, 4wheel discs, spring over, hy-steer, power steering, it goes on and on...:beer:

Heck go with an LS1, Auto, split case, 4WDiscs SO SR Scout steering...........it's posts like this that makes Greg pull his hair out.......... :doh: ...........wait a minute, he ain't got no hair :D :D :D

Sell it to me like your future Father-in-Law was going to. :D I thought this was long gone in March/April. Just had that feeling that I missed the window.

WWID? If it is mostly stock I would do what you are doing and try to find a 2F fairly cheap....Put the 2F in and restore......

Really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want it to be a DD than I would go small block, maybe auto (personally never owned auto) and definately disk.....As stated goes on and on.

Good Luck.

Oh yeah and post in the wanted section on here that you need a 2f for a pig in WI/MN.

Don't listen to the small block guys, especially Texican....Keep it simple, 2F is plenty good for the pig......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom