Pig conditioning part 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, my first "tech" article. My new 1976 Oinker lacked the most important mechanical feature it could have... AC. The 55 MPH gust doesn't cut it in Reno in August. Or July. Or March.

So investigated sourcing an OEM one. In addition to being about impossible to find, they are ancient and probably largely worn out.

I then contacted Vintage Air and Old Air. They both had a kit of some sort for an FJ40 (common beasts that they are), but nothing for Mooses (we have the best nicknames. The best). Luckily I had seen an ad for a bazzilion $$ FJ55 which had a VA setup installed. I sent VA an interior pic and he was able to ID everything on the interior. That just left...everything else.

The AC compressor is probably the easiest part. I have a TBI 350, and VA has a mount kit which adapts the stock saddle to the new compressor. I guess if you have the stock Toyota engine it may be trickier, but I would imagine the lesser Cruiser (FJ40) kits likely have away to adapt their compressor to the 6 cylinder.

Anyway, this chapter is about the condenser. You'd think it was the easy part. You'd be wrong. It was kinda annoying. Anyway, first I removed the bad-ass grill, the hood latch thingy, and the vertical strut that's in front of the radiator. (Note: If you can't figure out how to remove these three thing, stop, do not pass go, do not collect your $200. Just roll down the window and hope for the best.) Next I took careful measurement of the front of the radiator to let VA determine the biggest condenser I could fit. Then I ordered the next bigger size, because I'm pretty smart and can make things work. Anyway after I returned the bigger one I started making the one VA recommended work.

The actual method to mount it isn't too bad. It comes with 4 little wings that bolt on each corner of the condenser. I then kinda customly bent them so that they basically fit between the radiator mount flanges and the metal structure the radiator mount flanges bolt to. The wings actually would have worked just kinda pinched in there, but I drilled holes in the radiator flanges and put some self tappers in.. Then I pinched them in also. So they are screwed and pinched. :)

It would have been really bitchin' to just run the AC hoses right up to the condenser and brag about my amazing success. However, there was Landcruiser stuff in the way. Namely there was a double walled shroud kinda thing there. After much head scratching, and conferring with Superdawg (who had been watching warily) we decided a 1 1/4" hole saw was just the needed item . (Remember the shroud kinda thing is double walled, double the drilling, no premature celebration.) Also make DAMN SURE you have the condenser in its final location to get the measurements prior to taking the plunge. You want the condenser plumb, square and looking good. You have to measure off the two fittings on the condenser to find proper location for the holes thru said double wall shroud kinda thing.

Anyway, in pix below you can see the holes through the double wall shroud looking thing, the hole saw (in a pretend action shot) and the AC hose coming thru the hole and attaching to the condenser. You can see the condenser mount wings a little bit.

Next chapter... The Firewall!!

Pig art 2.jpg

Pig art 3.jpg

Pig art 4.jpg

Very interested in your project!
My ‘74 had dealer installed air, so hopefully the evaporator is still functioning.

I have the compressor figured out (I think).

Condenser is my main concern.

My radiator support is already equipped with holes on the passenger side for the earlier condenser.

Did your support have holes before this project? Wondering if you needed holes period, or if you needed to move holes?

Do you have p/n and dimensions on the condenser?

Thank you!

> The 55 MPH gust doesn't cut it in Reno in August. Or July. Or March.

Reno? Man. Temp in Reno as I type is 73F, predicted to reach 90F today.

Temp in Las Vegas (where I grew up) is 88F, expected to get to between 105F and 110F.

Temp in Austin (where I live with my pig) yesterday was 97F.

Watching the thread. I have a hurricane unit in the 40. going to attempt a FJ6x evaporator in the FJ55.

Replies for today:
1. The condenser I used was a Vintage Air VTA-03261-VUC. It's dimensions are 20Wx14H. ($150.48) The one I brilliantly figured i could make fit was 19x17. It would yield more surface area, but no joy. It's too tall. (I do have to fess up that because I live in Reno, Summit Racing's showroom is here. They pretty much always have everything in stock, and it's super easy to return stuff, even opened. That doesn't suck.)
2. My Pig had no holes for the liquid lines to go thru. Seems odd they wouldn't just stamp them in all of the bodies, but they didn't. I suppose there is a chance the stock Toyota holes will work for the VA unit, but you would have to be living right I think. (Maybe if it was a dealer installed option the dealers drilled the holes? Anyway I used a 1 1/4" hole saw.)
3. Where is the Pig run? The 18th of June? Don't you guys have jobs? :rofl:
4. 65 is too hot for me without AC. I'm old and fat, always hot. I suppose when I'm older I'll always be cold, but the VA has a heater too.
5. More pig pix coming! I took it to a local car show yesterday. Plenty of attention, but no ribbon. Heathens!

1) With Summit so close by, did you look at any other condensers besides Vintage Air?

2) I don’t live clean enough to get lucky like that.

3) See the Pig Party thread, but we are starting in Salt Lake City. Most of us are unemployed drifters.

4) My woman and dogs will appreciate the AC most, but I won’t complain either.

5) Took the Pig to a car show 2 weekends ago, people loved it but a Power Wagon won Best Truck.

1) that does not suck

2) bulkheads are a thing. Search Results - Vintage Air

3) Northern Utah. Many are retired. (I won't be there.)

4) I'm a few years older than you, and probably a few pounds heavier. Not much of a heater in my pig. Ran all winter without one, It started working about the time Texas got to 80F during the day.

5) as long as you're having fun, who cares about ribbons?

> I guess if you have the stock Toyota engine it may be trickier, but I would imagine the lesser Cruiser (FJ40) kits likely have away to adapt their compressor to the 6 cylinder.

VA sells a bracket that will run either a GM pattern (#158209) alternator or the OEM one (#148217) and a GM-style (Sanden) compressor. This locates the alternator on the PS of the truck, where as stock OEM location on 1F is DS. @orangefj45 sells a GM-style PS pump that fits on the DS and holds the Sawignaw / GM / "canned ham" style pump.

Too hot at 65 degrees? My wife still has the heater on at that temp!

I didn't check for any other condensers besides VA. At the time I just wanted something designed to work together, so figured I'd stick with all VA stuff. I also didn't understand AC systems very much. I now don't understand them less...

As far as using the stock Toyota evaporator, it would definitely be the way to go if you wanted original and to not have to tear everything out. The VA one has the benefit of being new (obviously) and having driver, center and passenger vents. And it puts out really surprising volume (and noise). I guess I'd worry the stock evaporator would be kinda a tease...looks good and puts out cold air, but doesn't keep you cool. Like a smoker having a cigarette but no lighter. :bang:

Having a GM engine makes mounting a compressor pretty easy. You can probably junk yard source a lot, or buy new. I always prefer compressors on the passenger side, who wouldn't? I don't understand why they ever even put them on the driver's side.

I wish I could make it to the Pig run! I'm a drifter! I'm also a malcontent and love to complain. (20 years in the Navy!).

Yota evaporators have huge coils.

Can you get fresh air with the VA unit?

nothing wrong with a bit of hate and discontent... as you were...

J Mack, your craftsmanship is at a bit of a high level than I can do... Why did you go back to a mechanical fan?

In answer to a question above, the VA does not offer a fresh air option. I guess the windows are it.

J Mack, your craftsmanship is at a bit of a high level than I can do... Why did you go back to a mechanical fan?
Thank you sir.
Between the AC condenser intercooler and radiator I couldn't pull enough air through the small pig grill to keep my engine cool.
18" mechanical fan seems to be doing a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom