Pics/ideas: Throttle cable routing for 3BII and rotary pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJAEbj42

Gathering Speed....
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.ajae.ca
I have a 3BII with rotary pump and am looking for ideas and suggestions to improve the current setup which works but provides limited travel.

The foot pedal pushes a vertical ready rod that rotates a spring to pull a cable which pulls another rod to rotate the throttle on the rotary pump.
The setup tends to bind and I can’t get full extension of the throttle which on a 3B as you know is the last thing we need going up hills! Lol

Thanks for the help! :beer:

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

I really like the factory setup. What is binding?
I don't think the BJ60's ever came with 3BII's and rotary pump, so the setup I have isn't factory (the welded vertical ready-rod is a give-away). The binding is that the rod being pulled to rotate the throttle on the rotary pump; it's not able to 'float/travel' enough to 'move around the circle' on the pull from the cable, so has difficulty 'pulling' to full throttle.

I'd just love to see some pics of throttle setups on rotary pumps.

I don't think the BJ60's ever came with 3BII's and rotary pump,

Not quite true, though by the time Toyota improved the 3B into the 3Bii (launched August 1988), the BJ60 was no longer sold in North America or Japan, so was only sold as a single right-hand drive model in certain SE Asian markets. I have one and you can see the factory throttle linkages on the picture below.

For info, all 3Biis used the rotary pump. However, this is not the defining characteristic of the 3Bii as there were old type 3Bs made from 1982 to 1986 and sold in Japan as the BJ61.

20220719_181753.jpg

The venturi butterfly on the intake manifold is there, I believe, only to reduce intake noise and can be removed.

If your vehicle is left handed, then I suggest you search for BJ70/73/75 left-hand drive applications of the 3Bii in a Landcruiser as there were no left-handed BJ60s with the 3Bii. For reference, they all use the same crank assembly on the intake manifold.

Hope that helps,

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom