PeterTheBeater's Build Log (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New FJZ80 owner here from Sacramento, CA. I was first introduced to the world of toyota trucks with my 99 4runner. I regret selling that truck and after a few carsI'm very happy with my 1997 FJZ80, 3x locked with 167k miles purchased.

Currently it has OME lift and coils, matte paint, 35' toyo mud tires and 8-shooter 16' rims.
IMG_0264.JPG

1-30-23
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_9691.jpg

Last edited:
I had a couple of leaks, I noticed a leak from the oil pump seal and the transmission lines were leaking. Naturally those were the first to get replaced. While in there I decided to might as well get a new water-pump, and do a tune up (spark plugs, wires, PCV valve and grommet). A cap+rotor will soon to follow. I've replaced the radiator hoses as well, and was disappointing to find a lot of yellow (sand-like) residue in the block and also in the radiator. I flushed the radiator to the best of my ability and reinstalled with toyota coolant. A bypass coolant filter install will be soon to follow.

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0320 (1).JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG

2/12/2019 168000

Last edited:
I keep acquiring more parts for my landcruiser! So far I have:
-Gates green stripe hoses to replace OEM hoses
-Baldwin coolant filter base and filter
-Front axle +wheel bearings/seals service kit from Marlin Crawler (I ordered from Marlin because initially I've learned that EcoSeals are great, but later I've learned that they are not so great for AWD, So I've ordered some OEM toyota ones)
-Silicone pesky heater hose kit
-passenger seat motor gears and caps
-Front and rear brembo brake pads and brembo blank rotors, while in there might as well replace parking brake hardware and shoes
-Bosch transmission temp gauge and a "drain plug kit" that I will put in the transmission pan when I replace the filter+fluid.
-Magnafine inline transmission filter.

Can someone tell me if our transmission fluid flows to the radiator first and cooler after or vise-versa?

Reactions: RFB
Congrats - that's a great looking truck. Getting all the the maintenance items out of the way is a good idea - it will save you time in the long-run, buy you peace of mind, and you'll learn a lot about your truck.

external cooler first on the trans cooler. that give engine heat to the trans to heat it up faster and more consistent trans temps.

Fluid flows from the trans to the radiator and then out to the air to oil cooler in front of the AC condenser. Into the passenger side of radiator out driver side into bottom of air/oil cooler out the top and back to the trans solid return line is the bottom one on drivers side of the engine block.

external cooler first on the trans cooler. that give engine heat to the trans to heat it up faster and more consistent trans temps.

Fluid flows from the trans to the radiator and then out to the air to oil cooler in front of the AC condenser. Into the passenger side of radiator out driver side into bottom of air/oil cooler out the top and back to the trans solid return line is the bottom one on drivers side of the engine block.

who is right?

if it was my rig

-Baldwin coolant filter base and filter - dangerous and unnecessary
-Silicone pesky heater hose kit - I will do Gates green stripe hoses
-Bosch transmission temp gauge and a "drain plug kit" - No need in 1FZ-FE
-Magnafine inline transmission filter. - No need if you do maintenance corectly

It’s easliy verified in the fsm.

Thank you, I couldn’t really find any reliable info.

if it was my rig

-Baldwin coolant filter base and filter - dangerous and unnecessary
-Silicone pesky heater hose kit - I will do Gates green stripe hoses
-Bosch transmission temp gauge and a "drain plug kit" - No need in 1FZ-FE
-Magnafine inline transmission filter. - No need if you do maintenance corectly

Thank you for your info, but I have a couple questions.
Why do you say that coolant filter is dangerous ? I do know it’s not necessarily but my though is that it will help trap all that silt in my cooling system.

As far as the transmission gauge, I like to keep an eye on my temperatures. It’s more for the peace of mind. I have also sourced an aluminum radiator w/ water-oil cooler and I want to see how it will affect my temps compared to my current radiator (not oem).
I’ve also had good luck with magnafine filters and it can’t hurt anything.

I will be adding 2 12’ fans in front of my condenser to aid in cooling of AC and tranny cooler just in case. I plan on making trips to Arizona and Baja.

I like to overbuild my vehicles ;)

The coolant filter and inline trans filter are not necessary, not even a little bit. These are two things never talked about and plenty of 80’s are out there with 300k + miles on the original head gasket and transmission. I have personally pulled the pan from two of these transmission at well over 200k and the filter screen and the rest of the inside was very clean.

I installed a transmission temp gauge for peace of mind too only to find out these transmissions run quite cool. It’s rare that I see tranny temps over 170 in any weather. On average, my gauge indicates 140 when full warm on a summer day. Push it hard and I’ve seen 170 creeping up a rocky trail with the AC on high.

You might be interested in upgrading the power steering fluid cooler and using that magnifine inline filter in that fluid circuit.

Most of us have found that a cooling system that works properly including fan clutch full with higher viscosity oil has the capability to cool everything. The dual electric fans you plan to install probably won’t be necessary. I dealt with the summer heat you live in for nearly 30 years while living in Vacaville. I moved 600 miles north and got away from it.

We have a few Arizona members that can share there cooling system experience with you. @Tools R Us @LandCruiserPhil @Jgunner

You have a nice looking 80 by the way.

Nice rig, make sure you check your power steering pump too. Sometimes they leak from back seal and give appearance that your trans fluid lines are leaking because most fluid will end up on the lines after leaking from the pump.

Thank you for all the information! It will help me with my build.
Nice rig, make sure you check your power steering pump too. Sometimes they leak from back seal and give appearance that your trans fluid lines are leaking because most fluid will end up on the lines after leaking from the pump.

It’s funny you mention that because my power steering pump is indeed leaking. I ordered a new bearing and a gates seal yesterday.

Replaced my rear parking brake shoes, brake pads and rotors. All new hardware and couple coats of paint. Brembo rear brake pads and centric rotors.

78938D24-EFE5-400D-A0E3-432BEFC22EC1.jpeg

3/25/2019 169900

Last edited:
Took my transmission pan off to clean and replace fluid. Unfortunately the ATP kit i was sold had the wrong filter, so i just cleaned off the original filter to the best of my ability. The old fluid was nice and red, maybe a little dark red but still in good condition. I also installed a 1/8NPT bung for my trans temperature sensor (i threw the nylon gasket away and used two washers and toyota FIPG).
The transmission pan had very little shavings for 170k miles but I did see some copper-colored residue - my guess clutch material.

IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG

3/29/2019 177000

Last edited:
Installed my transmission temp gauge today. Run the sensor wire thru the rubber gasket on the transmission tunnel, and tapped positive, negative and dimmer lights off the PWR/2nd switch. I’ve used an B&M drain plug kit 80250 but I think you can make use of the thread adaptors included with the Bosch gauge and buy few washers/nuts separately. If I was to do this again that’s the route I would take.

D07E9551-D21C-40E2-BBE4-2C63163C410F.png
3E244DAE-F432-4A86-8A92-046D208DBA38.jpeg

3/31/2019 177100

Last edited:
Did front axle service last night...pretty straight forward but took me and my buddy 12 hours lol
Looks like the wheel bearings have been replaced before because it had Timken bearings (when they were used to be made in USA lol). The steering knuckles seemed to be all original expect the grease, the wheel bearings and the knuckles had green-blue wheel bearings grease.

The grease in the knuckles was pretty toast, dried up chunks. In addition, my passenger side steering had two broken studs. Luckily, I ordered new studs and hardware along with a recessed axle seal driver from wits end. I've removed the backing plate as well as replaced my rotors with new brembo units and new 100 series brembo pads (which barely fit). Repacked with redline grease and good to go!

One thing that I didn't find any shims installed on my steering arms. Maybe they were taken out before? Regardless after the service the drag felt "right".

4/1/2019 177200 miles

Last edited:
There are no shims in the 97's knuckles, they weren't removed, just never there.

Did you silicone the sun roof so its not functional?

There are no shims in the 97's knuckles, they weren't removed, just never there.

Did you silicone the sun roof so its not functional?

Thank you, I got confused because I thought they supposed to have shims for preload from factory.

Also yes, I’ve cleaned my drains, cleaned the roof and the gasket, conditioned the gasket, inserted spacers to raise the sunroof a little and nothing worked. If I was using the sunroof I would replace the gasket but for some reason all of the cars I owned came with a sunroof and I never use them.
I disconnected the wires so that my significant other doesn’t open it while looking for the dome light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom