Peters mill run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yngmrostrvile

GOLD Star
Threads
Does anyone know if this is open? Im am hading up from Nashville on Thursday and thought I'd camp up there but wanted to make sure its open. The track is outside Edinburg off Edinburg Gap Run?
Screenshot_20210712-204014_Gaia GPS.jpg

Screenshot_20210712-203738_Gaia GPS.jpg

It's open. To run peters mill you need to pay ahead of time, and as above mentioned its nothing special. Look at flagpole for a nice ride with better views

Ok, Im down for anything. This is a way point for me on my journey up to MA.

Flagpole knob?
Yes. There's multiple ways up. Union springs is the "toughest" way up. But even that we've had stock cruisers make it up.
Switzer dam is another way up, and this is @ShenValley100LC backyard with the amount he's there so he might know the other routes up I'm forgetting.

Flagpole
Reddish Knob
Home Quarry
Switzer dam

all have great options for camping. Other activities nearby include excellent trout fishing, wineries and breweries.

Yes. There's multiple ways up. Union springs is the "toughest" way up. But even that we've had stock cruisers make it up.
Switzer dam is another way up, and this is @ShenValley100LC backyard with the amount he's there so he might know the other routes up I'm forgetting.
What makes Union Springs the "toughest"?

What makes Union Springs the "toughest"?
So its not a tough trail. Just compared to the other options of getting up, Union Springs to me is the most fun.

This is a quick video to give you an idea. Almost all of it is simple FS as expected. Minute marker 310 starts the hardest little section there is.

This is quite literally @bkfj40's backyard, I'm just down the block. There are multiple ways to skin this cat and its a bit confusing because everything in the Virginia has 3 different names/numbers.

Heres a couple options for you:
Going from south to north, jump onto Braley Pond Rd off US-250 just west of Staunton and head north to FR-95 till it meets up with FR-85 take a right onto FR-85 heading north to Reddish knob, this is an easy dirt road with some rocks and potholes but the views are outstanding. Continue north past reddish knob crossover 924 (briery branch road) to continue north on FR-85 for more gorgeous views and a good dirt trail to Flagpole Knob (I wouldn't camp on top of flagpole as you will probably end up with a lot of neighbors and let me tell you...they're not there for the camping). From there you can head down either 227/Dunkle Hollow Rd which is easy and nice or the more fun way is to go down Union Springs trail (FR 225). Just below the peak of Union Springs has some great more private campsites with great views, I can private message you some options. If its super hot you're better off near the bottom by some of the creeks/run where its cooler. Union springs will dump you out near Harrisonburg where you can continue on I81, all in all this would be about 39 miles of dirt.

or you can just take Dunkle Hollow/Skidmore/Switzer which is FR-227 from US33 go to the top of flagpole and then back track slightly and take union springs back down and its almost a circle and youll come out a couple miles down the road near US33 again.

I've never done hone quarry but I think theres like an actual campground there and it follows a stream/creek.

That is a great loop! I'm a little mad at you though - you never stopped by to say hi. :)

Well I was a bit disappointed there was no welcome wagon or trailer waiting along the track. It was very quiet. I would have expected a much warmer welcome for out of town mudders. I had to drink my three last beers myself.

Resized_20210615_175606.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom