Pesky Heater Hose (PHH) et al. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would suggest replacing the other hoses while you are doing the PHH. My experience was a PHH failure arriving in the garage at Tahoe -- took a bike ride and sourced standard hose to replace. While removing the metal pipe, the upper 90 degree hose literally fell apart in my hands. So bypass was the only immediate option to get back on the road. I have silicone hoses for replacement and will be doing the job again. Only this time in a shop with a complete set of tools.

And thanks to Mud for having all of the valuable instructions available when I really needed them.

My small contribution to the PHH challenge. I’ve attached pictures for illustration purposes. I had green coolant and a pending trip to Overland Expo so I decided to tackle it and change to Toyota red and do other things like the PHH while at it.

Reminder to drain the block when flushing the coolant. The pictures are taken from the drivers side wheel well. You can see where the drain bolt was removed to drain the block.

I got a little creative and used technology to my advantage. Last Black Friday I purchased an endoscope camera for about $20 from Amazon. I set up the endoscope camera near the EGR facing down the metal pipe that connects to the PHH. That metal pipe is pictured and as you can see it is held in place by two bolts. One easily accessible from the top. The second bolt, not so much. So...with the camera connected to my phone and the phone being held by my springs. I reached in and with a 1/4 ratchet I was able to see and disconnect the second bolt holding the metal pipe. After that, it was a breeze removing and installing the PHH.

Disclaimer: hand size, arm length and determination are variables, as well as the beer you drink while at work or not drink.

It is easier to access the area if the transmission dip stick is loosened to move out of the way.

I did not attach that second bolt so the next time if I ever do it again....probably not...it will be a one banana job.

AD6A46E4-3AC0-403D-A5AF-BB09BF04FBD3.jpeg

FA445E1D-6522-4DBE-AA11-FD50AAD4336A.jpeg

F7202C05-2182-4ECD-9A74-8BE365B136E8.jpeg

8BC7106A-E998-4828-AA56-0D761EF61A6D.jpeg

You may be the quy I am looking for. My regular garage quoted me $800.00 to replace this PHH thing. For that kind of jack, I will certainly give it a go myself. How long did it take you and did you use a manual or anything? Any other tips before I start?
Thanks

800 bucks!? I’m by no means a good mechanic and I changed it in my driveway in less than 2 hours. 90% of that was just blindly fidgeting to get the hose on. Nothing complex and only took 2 beers. Def get the silicon hose and the short ratchet screw driver.

It sucks to change but it's really not that bad. I can do it in 30-45 minutes like this. (Depending on willingness of my arm to stretch and contort).

1. Turn wheel all the way to the right.
2. Remove driver front tire and place vehicle on jack stands.
3. Squeeze between the rotor an front fender and you can see it with a flash light.
Get the longest needle nose pliers you can find.
4 jam your arm up in there and remove the two clamps by twisting them counter clockwise.
Grab a razor blade and cut the crusty hose the full length and remove.
5. Move to the top and remove the hose going from the hard line to the heater valve .
6. Locate the the bolt holding the hard line to the manifold and remove.
7.Now wiggle that piece of s*** back and forth until you hear it snap.
8. Throw it in the trash to never be seen again.
9 replace entire section with a long piece of gates hose. ( Save time and buy 4 ft of hose and run it down from the top the reach through the side and push on the head outlet.
10. Apply quality clamp by stretching and contorting your arm like never before.
11. Trim to length up top and apply clamp to heater valve.
12. Refill with the same type of coolant you removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom