Permanent solution to the weak Key Shell problem!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I beat ya to the punch ;p I have been using that system for nearly a year now. Works great!

This is at best a workaround, not a solution. The problem is merely being circumvented and additional bulk created in the process. As far as actual solutions go, that's about the worst one ever. As a workaround, it's acceptable.

One of the primary advantages that the Europeans and Japanese have had over the occasionally idiotic domestics for years is efficiency of design. It absolutely blows my mind that our '08 Escalade *STILL* has separate keys and keyfobs. To date, I still don't think GM has rectified this. Worse yet, the Escalade keyfobs fall apart anyway. Adding a separate key to the mix essentially GM-izes your keyfob.

I've never had a Toyota key break on me... Knock on wood (I'm sure it'll happen tonight).

Semantics..Yes it's a workaround solution to the problem of key shells breaking. I've had 2 shells break on me, and this workaround prevents it from happening again. If it's too much to carry a thin key around in your pocket, then no, it's not for you. It doesn't bother me, as I carry a separate key chain for house keys and a separate one for car keys.

I didn't realize that GM to this day still separates keys and keyfobs lol.

My 2007 Toyota has keys and key fob separated. Most probably due to complaints of breakage and cost.

My '98 100 had this issue. The key blank I ended up buying looks like my 07 key with transponder already built in eliminating any Afro engineering, as posted earlier.
image-141023930.jpg

at $3.80 a shell I don't see the fuss in replacing them once in a while. A two key solution isn't really a solution. I am still rocking a valet key as my one and only way to get into and start my ride. :eek:

I went out this weekend and the car would not start. Seems the shell opened and I lost the electronics inside the key. Stressed for a while and then got a call from my son 3 days later saying he found it.
It must have popped out when walking down the dock as it was under 5 feet of salt water.

Waited for low tide, picked it up, left it in the sun for a while and it still works.

I happened to go to Toyota yesterday and they had a rubber case that goes over the shell that I picked up for like $8.00.

It must have popped out when walking down the dock as it was under 5 feet of salt water.Waited for low tide, picked it up, left it in the sun for a while and it still works.

Get that thing into a container of fresh water ASAP, and flush it several times with clean fresh water. Its working now, but if you don't get the salt out it wont be working for long. You sound like a boater, so you know salt is the enemy ;)

I am not sure I see the problem here. I drive my truck every day and I broke one key shell so far since I bought the truck in 2007 - and that key shell was already beaten up by the PO.

If I have to buy one new key shell every 4-5 years and just transfer the transponder then I am okay with that. Just sayin...

I am not sure I see the problem here. I drive my truck every day and I broke one key shell so far since I bought the truck in 2007 - and that key shell was already beaten up by the PO.

If I have to buy one new key shell every 4-5 years and just transfer the transponder then I am okay with that. Just sayin...

True, swapping out key shells every few years is not a big deal, nor expensive. For me, I like the solid feel when starting with the solid metal key, and not having to worry about if/when the key shell will break on me. Call me weird, but that is worth it to me. I guess it's the same reason that I converted my X5 rear suspension from air suspension to a proper coil spring setup. It was a bitch, and cost me $700 instead of $200 to simply replace an airbag. But I like not having to worry about it anymore.

To each his own. I drove this thing for 8 years with just the one key, and adding the extra key hasn't bothered me the last 2 years. Again, if carrying one extra key will break you, don't bother with this! Ah, first world problems...

True, swapping out key shells every few years is not a big deal, nor expensive. For me, I like the solid feel when starting with the solid metal key, and not having to worry about if/when the key shell will break on me. Call me weird, but that is worth it to me. I guess it's the same reason that I converted my X5 rear suspension from air suspension to a proper coil spring setup. It was a bitch, and cost me $700 instead of $200 to simply replace an airbag. But I like not having to worry about it anymore.

To each his own. I drove this thing for 8 years with just the one key, and adding the extra key hasn't bothered me the last 2 years. Again, if carrying one extra key will break you, don't bother with this! Ah, first world problems...

I can't for the life of me imagine why those early X5 customers ever ordered those damn things with leveling suspensions, it was a complete joke and they all end up sagging.

The system in the L322 Range Rover is even more complex (though based around the same air concept and chassis), but at least it serves a real purpose.

I can't for the life of me imagine why those early X5 customers ever ordered those damn things with leveling suspensions, it was a complete joke and they all end up sagging.

The system in the L322 Range Rover is even more complex (though based around the same air concept and chassis), but at least it serves a real purpose.

True! And the sad thing is that the V8 models came standard with rear air susp. Mine is one of the few V8's out there successfully converted. The worst part was removing the error message after converting. I have had many,many people message me on the X5 forum asking how I got it done. Even with the help of BMW corporate people, my local dealership had it for a full week and couldn't do it. It took a trip to Chicago to find a dealership with the know how. But the hassle was worth it IMO, especially after having to drive home on the bump stops one day with the damn air susp.

I just took two of the four key blanks to my local Toyota dealer to get cut. I always get them cut via the VIN rather than copy a worn key.
Great thing is the Toyota parts counter does not have a SKU to just cut a key. Since it is a "Denso" key, they cut them for free! 4 keys $15 and change sipped and cut. Can't beat that!

Great thread for the inevitable key shell failure.

Does anyone have a part# for this rubber case?

Tahomatom- can you post a pic?

I happened to go to Toyota yesterday and they had a rubber case that goes over the shell that I picked up for like $8.00.

I just got back from our local locksmith and he charged me $8 for two keys (he used "Ilco X217/TR47".

1) I've taken the electronic unit out of the key shell, and have temporarily taped it up near the key cylinder (its tough enough, no shell required), truck starts no problem. After a little convenience testing, I will remount it using velcro, this way it becomes a "kill switch". I have the option to take it with me, stash it, or leave it mounted (discretely).

2) now that I have two steel keys, I will finally hide one. I will also hide my other master key electronic unit somewhere inside the truck. Now I will never be stuck outside the truck, and no one could conceivably drive it away.

This is why I love this forum :)

Edit: I guess one of you mudders could conceivably drive it away... drats!

Unfortunately though, you have now lost all the conveniences of locking and unlocking you rig.

But then again, that's your call if you don't mind fiddling around with key holes.

I just purchased 4 key shells on eBay for about $12.00. Originally I was going to use 2 for my 98 Hundy and two for my wife's 98 Hundy, but my brother-in-law was over yesterday and told me his key shell was buckled on his 04 Hundy so I gave him one of the extras.
The shells seem to last not quite 10 years if you don't drop them all time or try to play catch off of second story buildings with them landing on concrete.
So in the end, I don't mind shelling out 12 bucks every 10 years. In retrospect, it's probably the least expensive maintenance item we can do for our beloved Hundies!

My dad made this a while back for the LC I just bought from him. It seems like a pretty permanent solution too, with the exception of a refinishing from time to time

IMG-20120704-00178 by coldwiz, on Flickr

r2m said:
Unfortunately though, you have now lost all the conveniences of locking and unlocking you rig.

But then again, that's your call if you don't mind fiddling around with key holes.

I just purchased 4 key shells on eBay for about $12.00. Originally I was going to use 2 for my 98 Hundy and two for my wife's 98 Hundy, but my brother-in-law was over yesterday and told me his key shell was buckled on his 04 Hundy so I gave him one of the extras.
The shells seem to last not quite 10 years if you don't drop them all time or try to play catch off of second story buildings with them landing on concrete.
So in the end, I don't mind shelling out 12 bucks every 10 years. In retrospect, it's probably the least expensive maintenance item we can do for our beloved Hundies!

Good luck getting 10 years out of an eBay set. The most I ever had one last was about 2 years. One only lasted about 6 months before it just fell apart while trying to starty car on a camping trip. The meta part completely came out and was non-usable. Luckily I had a extra non chipped key I use when surfing.

But, using your philosophy above... if an OEM key shell will last about 10 years...why not just get another? They are only about $30 through Beno. Ive come to learn that OEM is probably cheaper in the long run... I know I have spent more already on eBay ones that don't last.

I did not think you could buy just the key shell. Thought we were forced into a $300 key at dealers??

Sent from my droid

Just ordered a couple through Beno. I was ordering a new steering rack and had that key fail that would have left me stranded had I not had my surf key with me. Here is the information. It comes in three parts. Pics to follow. Phone app keeps crashing.
ForumRunner_20120705_084214.jpg

FYI, I had the Sewell Lexus dealer give me a new plastic shell while I had some warranty work done. It appears thicker than the original, and interestingly, it does not have a Lexus logo on it. Hmmmm.

I know they sell parts online.

Mxndrnks said:
Just ordered a couple through Beno. I was ordering a new steering rack and had that key fail that would have left me stranded had I not had my surf key with me. Here is the information. It comes in three parts. Pics to follow. Phone app keeps crashing.

Haha. That's the fj cruiser key. Purchasing one now. Thanks!!!

Sent from my droid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom