Permanent solution to the weak Key Shell problem!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought blank keys from DealExtreme for 3 $ each incl shipping. They are OEM, made by Denso. The EU version LC key is like the US Lexus - inside milling, but they also have other (normal) versions.

Good luck getting 10 years out of an eBay set. The most I ever had one last was about 2 years. One only lasted about 6 months before it just fell apart while trying to starty car on a camping trip. The meta part completely came out and was non-usable. Luckily I had a extra non chipped key I use when surfing.

But, using your philosophy above... if an OEM key shell will last about 10 years...why not just get another? They are only about $30 through Beno. Ive come to learn that OEM is probably cheaper in the long run... I know I have spent more already on eBay ones that don't last.

You may be right about the eBay key. This is the first time I've had to replace my shell since we've had our both our LC's. Perhaps I'm naive in assuming a 10 year life span for the eBay shells. If that's the case, I'll go to the dealer and drop the 30 clams for a OEM one.

As my Commanding General says "we'll see, we'll see".

Go through Beno. Not sure how much more the dealer will charge.

Go through Beno. Not sure how much more the dealer will charge.

Roger that. I'll check him out when these explode on me.

Thanks.:cheers:

Haha. That's the fj cruiser key. Purchasing one now. Thanks!!!
Sent from my droid

They actually sell the shells for the late model 100 series, exactly what I got (Via Beno BTW)

I also got a couple Camry transponder keys for when I don't need the keyless entry buttons. That is the best key out there;)

Camry transponder key
key.JPG
key.JPG

Last edited:
This FJC key is more robust plastic than my previous LC key. Pretty happy overall.

Haven't seen the $3 fleebay key yet, but I would probably just stay with this one anyway. It feels like a key I don't have to worry about breaking for a long time and the transponder guts fit like a glove.

ForumRunner_20120706_095556.jpg

ForumRunner_20120706_095632.jpg

Sent from my droid
ForumRunner_20120706_095556.jpg
ForumRunner_20120706_095632.jpg

Last edited:
This FJC key is more robust plastic than my previous LC key. Pretty happy overall.

Haven't seen the $3 fleebay key yet, but I would probably just stay with this one anyway. It feels like a key I don't have to worry about breaking for a long time and the transponder guts fit like a glove.

View attachment 651783

View attachment 651784

Sent from my droid

Is that key from Beno or a dealer and what was your cost?

Is that key from Beno or a dealer and what was your cost?

Local dealer. ~$40 and they cut it to the VIN#

FYI - Beno works for Toyota. He runs the Parts Department at Toyota ABQ

Onur
Parts Manager
LHM Toyota of Albuquerque
oazeri@lhm.com
sigpic4146_2.gif

Cost is just under $30.

Yep, I paid a $10 convenience fee. My shell broke yesterday and I just wanted a fix now.

So, just to clarify, You can buy the FJC key, have it cut, then swap the guts out of you're old LC key?

^^ yeppers, and it works perfectly

* note the FJC part#'s identified above. (salvage your screws and save a few bucks.)

Awesome! I will finally be rid of the Gold Package.
image-2775982357.jpg

You still get a gold sombrero...

Sent from my droid

What are folks out there doing to replace the LX 470 keys? Who will cut those blanks I see on ebay?
Oh, and I had the pleasure of talking with Onur about some parts, He's now at Lowe Toyota down south here in Georgia.

What are folks out there doing to replace the LX 470 keys? Who will cut those blanks I see on ebay?
Oh, and I had the pleasure of talking with Onur about some parts, He's now at Lowe Toyota down south here in Georgia.

I purchased a pair of eBay LX blanks, waste of $13 as I couldn't find a locksmith that would cut them and ended up buying a key through the local dealer for about $45 cut. While I was there I asked if they'd cut my eBay blanks too, they politely refused claiming that they had had their machine damaged by cheap aftermarkets and would only cut OE blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

My local true value hardware cut my eBay blanks. I'm having a hard time envisioning how an aftermarket key could "damage" a cutting machine...

My local toyota dealership compared my ebay blanks to theirs and agreed that they were the same ones they sold, but that the dealership had a several thousand dollar machine and wouldn't cut my ebay key because they paid more for their keys and would be out that expense if they miscut they key. I told him good luck selling that line to camry owners.

I had mine cut at home depot. Not a problem so far.

This was an LX key blank, with its key profile milled into the internal keyway channel, as opposed to a conventional style edge profile cut of the 'cruiser?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom