pccruiser Red Dirt build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.reddirtoffroad.com

I searched quite a few 100 series to find this beauty. So many had so many problems. I got crazy lucky and found one literally right after it listed on Cars.com. Only had 1 picture and no details. It was a specialty Mercedes dealership in Dallas. They said they only list it to let the exporters know about it and already had 5 call them since these usually get shipped overseas (they won't resell it since they only do Mercedes). I convinced them that a local business owner, Red Dirt Offroad, should get dibs and they let me. Had a mechanic look it over and it was in excellent shape for a hundy with 133k miles. It had been in a minor front fender bender that got into the body molding. Easy fix and the molding I didn't care about since I planned on wheeling this thing. Mechanically and structurally it was in great shape.

I pulled the trigger and the first thing I did was take it to a detailer in Dallas to get a paint restoration job and freshen it all up. Then the heavy mods came. I've tried to be as extensive as I can but know I am missing some things. Most of my receipts and records are in storage since I'm moving in a couple weeks I'll update then.

The original shop that did the install on the gears messed it up in the front. Fortunately a good family friend who is a master mechanic and my go to guy opened a shop and redid everything and it is working top notch now! Just dropped $2500 to get things good to go finally! Well worth it. He wasn't available first go round or I would have (and SHOULD have) used him. The Fathers Wrench in Ft Worth - Bill Jackson. Awesome guy.

Suspension
  • Icon stage 3 shocks (remote resi and cdc valved -their top line)
  • Total Chaos UCAs,
  • ARB torsion bars
  • ARB rear springs.
  • Timbren extended bump stops
  • Metal Tech upper rear trailing arms,
  • Rokmen Offroad Pro Series lower rear trailing arms with their lifetime Rokmen EnduroMax™ Bushings
  • Rokmen adjustable panhard.
  • Slee Extended stainless steel brake lines
  • Slee Diff Drop
  • Extended front and rear sway bar links
Armor
  • Full Slee aluminum skid plates (Belly plate steel)
  • ARB Sahara front bumper
  • ARB Modular Rear bumper with tire swing out
  • MetalTech 4x4 sliders
  • All new bushings, rubber etc on anything still stock (which isn't much)
Storage
Crawling
  • Nitro gear 4.88 gears.
  • When the gears were done we upgraded the rear pinion and yolk to the upgraded and stronger splines to match the newer models.
  • ARB locker in front.
  • TJM air locker in rear (on recommendation from Carl owner at Nitro).
  • Big ARB dual Air compressor (can run air tools) CKMTA12 with manifold.
  • ARB diff breathers
  • ARB Safari Snorkel
Tires and Wheels
  • Icon Alloy Six Speed 17" wheels
  • Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/17
Lighting
  • I've upgraded all OEM lights with LED
    • headlights low and high beam
    • break lights
    • reverse lights
    • turn signals
    • interior lights
    • Also upgraded the turn signal relay to work with lower resistance on LEDs
  • 40" Baja Design LED bar - flood/driving combo
  • Baja Design Squadrons on rear of rack
  • ARB Intensity LED Spot lights on front bumper
Electrical
  • Switch Pros 8100 system for accessory/LED buttons and management (can turn all your LEDs and accessories on and off from your phone or buttons) - Switch Pros - Home)

• All upgraded audio:
    • All Infinity reference speakers(component up front)
    • Sony xPlod 800 watt 4 channel amp
    • Polk MM 10" sub with Rockford Fosgate 500 watt mono amp
    • Pioneer Avic 7100-NEX.
      • Has bluetooth,
      • Car Play,
      • Reverse camera,
      • DVD entertainment,
      • Phone microphone etc
  • Slee Dual Battery tray with compressor mount
  • TMax dual battery system.
  • Optima yellow top starting battery
  • Walmart marine secondary (had a yellow top before but I killed it leaving things on and lost my receipt so I couldn't warranty it - don't do that!)
  • Bearcat 880 CB Radio
  • Labrak rear antenna mount
Recovery
  • Warm M12000 winch,
  • ARB Rear swing out high lift mount
  • 48” hi lift
  • Hi lift base for loose surfaces
  • Maxtrax
  • Spare OEM CV Axle
  • ARB Tire Repair Kit
  • (some other items I'll include later)
Misc
  • Weathertech Mats
Maintenance (all OEM parts used)
  • All new brakes (pads and rotors)
  • All new OEM wheel bearings
  • New parking brakes and cable
  • Two brand new OEM CV Axles
  • Timing belt and water pump don't need to be done until 210k miles
  • All new fluids all around.
  • All new coil packs and iridium spark-plugs (all 8)
  • new head cover gaskets and new gaskets for coils pack
  • new pcv valve
  • new fuel filter
  • new and upgraded heater Ts
  • oil has been done with mobile 1 since I've had it
  • Brand new OEM rack and pinion with the upgraded super poly pro bushings
  • All new bushings for sway bars
  • New bushings in lower a arms.
  • Pinion angle adjusted and drive shafts greased
  • Brand new OEM tilt motor and telescope motor for steering wheel
  • New completely refurbished steering wheel
  • New OEM A/C blower motor
Some items I have but yet to install that are waiting to be done
Various screws for interior
LED Puddle lights ( LX Puddle/Courtesy Lights LED strip upgrade )

Last edited:
Some pics of the install process at the shop and in my garage. I went with Nitro Gear UCAs originally. I've done a few switches (including tires and wheels). Had been with 35s originally but just didn't feel they were right for the platform.

classifieds?

Nice build! GLWS.

Maybe I missed it but I don't see a price, miles, or year.
Very nice build, too bad it's probably out of my budget

Well this is my build thread and it got moved to classifieds for some reason. I have a classified ad.

Well this is my build thread and it got moved to classifieds for some reason. I have a classified ad.

Could this be the reason? This is the link from the first post of your ad. It doesn't look like a build thread to me. Obviously you have edited your first post here to make it a build thread.

Could this be the reason? This is the link from the first post of your ad. It doesn't look like a build thread to me. Obviously you have edited your first post here to make it a build thread.

View attachment 1917394

It has always been a build thread but I added a tag line to the front so people knew it was for sell. I've since removed it since I have a thread in classifieds. I still want this to be a build thread where I will continuously add to the story of the build and use it to talk about the ups and downs of the journey.

It has always been a build thread but I added a tag line to the front so people knew it was for sell. I've since removed it since I have a thread in classifieds.

I think you answered your own question. The tag line you added is a full paragraph of sale pitch. My understanding is that anything with a sale pitch in it should not be in technical forum.

Technically you are correct in saying this thread has always been a build thread but your so called build thread is only 1 day older than your for sale thread. You listed all of the mods that added up to more than $28k (not including shipping and labor) in one day, then decided to sell the next day and added a tag line? Go figure.

I think you answered your own question. The tag line you added is a full paragraph of sale pitch. My understanding is that anything with a sale pitch in it should not be in technical forum.

Technically you are correct in saying this thread has always been a build thread but your so called build thread is only 1 day older than your for sale thread. You listed all of the mods that added up to more than $28k (not including shipping and labor) in one day, then decided to sell the next day and added a tag line? Go figure.

Ya I had it written for a little bit since this build started over 3 years ago. Been taking pictures all along the way so I could document the journey and just never got around to putting up the build thread. I've got a business selling the parts so no matter what I planned on doing the build thread so I can help others out - especially around the research part which can take a ton of time (I researched for a year before finally finding a 100 to buy. Lot's of lessons learned from my FJ Cruiser build). Unfortunately I had to rush to put up the build thread and list it at the same time as I had a few people interested in buying and they wanted the details. I'm moving into a new house in a bit over a week so I didn't have the time to keep repeating myself so I finished the build thread and listed it at the same time. Didn't realize the rule on the tag line no biggie. Fixed the issue and Woody moved it back for me.

Now if anyone would like to talk cruisers let me know! ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom