Payson Wheelin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tontorecreationalliance.org
Sorry for the delay, but I have been working a couple of scheduling issues, at this point 7-29 is looking good.

The trail is in a hopefully dry creek, mostly on square and rectangular rock so your suspension arms and driveshaft will be in danger, my recommendation is a lifted rig, oversize tires and at least one locker. It will require careful line selection and tire placement most of the way.

The return road offers some challenges for stock trucks if they want to attend and enjoy a day in the pines. The first half of the trail is a good challenge for most of the rigs in the club. I didn't run the second part, from the small part that I walked it looks plenty challenging. If we get a good turn out, it would be no problem to split the group, the less modified trucks running the lower part and the more hardcore running the upper part, meeting up at the end, like at Ajax.

It's a very spotter intensive trail, so any experienced spotters that can show would be a big help. If you can't bring your rig I am sure a seat to ride in can be found.

Meeting place: The Maverik Gas Station on the southeast corner of Beeline HWY 87 and Forest Dr in North Payson.

Meeting time: 9:00 AM

CB 4
payson_meet.gif

I expect to make it - but realized I'm going to the outdoor:mad: Santana concert the night before and my be a tad sluggish in the AM. Can you pm me directions and cb channel in case I'm late?

I will make whatever arrangements and do whatever it takes to be there.

-Spike (That statement should keep me honest and not give me room to back out later. :D)

So is the trail for "stock trucks" just a big rocky path also?

Is there any camping spots along the trail or nearby? If anyone else is interested in camping, I would like to spend the night. I will have the munchkin along and the LONG day driving from Tucson/wheeling all day/back to Tucson will probably make her a bit cranky. If there are other people camping, that would be a good option. I would camp anyway, but having others there as well would make it more interesting for Zoe.

So, I'm planning on coming up for this, and camping if anyone else is.

Last edited:
Blues Dawg said:
I expect to make it - but realized I'm going to the outdoor:mad: Santana concert the night before and my be a tad sluggish in the AM. Can you pm me directions and cb channel in case I'm late?

It just clicked who you were. Did you go through a name change?

BMAN said:
It just clicked who you were. Did you go through a name change?
Yeah - my old aol handle was auphrode, but there are so many ih8mud variations of the "off-road" theme that, imo, spelling angle was not enuff to be differentiator. Also, have two blue dogs, am a major fan of the genre of music, and am attempting to learn to strangle the blues out of the guitar, soooo...:beer: :cheers:

Relix said:
So is the trail for "stock trucks" just a big rocky path also?
No, it's a dirt side trail with some up and down stuff, but basically a easy ride. Probly do the entire thing in 20 minutes or less. But you can do some of the main trail and exit when needed. I have done the whole trail, and the no turning back point is when you do the 4 foot ledge. After that you can't get out of the creek, and going down the 4 foot ledge is very risky. So you continue on to the final spot wich requires winching on every rig except maybe a few buggies on fotees.:bounce:

I'm in. Me and the :princess: will be there in the 40.

Disclaimer: She's NOT a :princess: but you get the idea... :D

Her first real wheeling trip. Seemed like a good one to get her "feet wet" so to speak.

See ya in Payson. CB ch 4...

I'll be ridin gun with Brittan for this one.

Got the A/C fixed, so barring any unforseen unfortunate circumstances I will be there as well. Anyone want to meet at the Ft. McDowell gas station for the trip up?

Baggins, I might be amenable to a bit of camping. You still up for that?

Anyone have any suggestions for trails or other recreation in the area that could be tackled on Sunday?

-Spike

Last edited:
Forcast call for a high of 79 degrees in Payson Saturday. Ohhh, baby.

-Spike (Fair chance of rain too!)

As nasty as that looks, I've seen far worse storms. Of course, I'm not in Chandler, and we didn't get anywhere near 3 inches of rain. That's some rain!

-Spike

-Spike- said:
Got the A/C fixed, so barring any unforseen unfortunate circumstances I will be there as well. Anyone want to meet at the Ft. McDowell gas station for the trip up?

Baggins, I might be amenable to a bit of camping. You still up for that?

Anyone have any suggestions for trails or other recreation in the area that could be tackled on Sunday?

-Spike

looks like I have a babysitter for saturday and my wife is off sunday. Sooo, I'm down for camping! Woohoo a night off of dad duty!:bounce:
Bman is supposed to shoot me his address and I was gonna meet up with him and Brittan for the ride up.

-Spike- said:

-Spike

Yup!

We were planning on rolling out of FH about 7:30... see you there about 7:20?

When you say 'FH', do you mean Fort McDowell?

Conoco before 7:30, will do.

-Spike

I plan to be there. You'll recognize me on the trail as the one with the new stock FJ Cruiser driving around all of the obstacles. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom