Builds Patches - My '76 40. B3.3 Swap and some general fixin' up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

look like grease or fuel contaminated surface
Yeah it does, but it was prepped in the same manner as usual - sanded, blown off, and wiped with wax ad grease remover and air dried.
Maybe my compressor is taking a dump ad pumping out oil thats overwhelmed the trap. Maybe something weird happened to the paint or hardener.

Last edited:
I mixed a batch of paint once with syringes from work, the silicon plunger contaminated all the paint and it fisheyed like crazy. Didn’t realize my mistake until it was laid down. One of the engineers at work that paints often confirmed my error.

Started putting a few things back together today. For now the fenders, apron, grille, etc. are just going back on with a coat of machine gray Rustoleum rattle can to somewhat match the epoxy primer on the tub. It all will come apart later for proper painting, but that's just out of reach at this time. At least it's all covered up and will be mostly the same color. Hopefully this week I can get the harness reinstalled and get the pedals, column, seats, etc. back in, and work on finishing the alternator mounting and get a start on the PS pump bracket.
20181118_201532.jpg

20181118_201451.jpg

Started putting a few things back together today. For now the fenders, apron, grille, etc. are just going back on with a coat of machine gray Rustoleum rattle can to somewhat match the epoxy primer on the tub. It all will come apart later for proper painting, but that's just out of reach at this time. At least it's all covered up and will be mostly the same color. Hopefully this week I can get the harness reinstalled and get the pedals, column, seats, etc. back in, and work on finishing the alternator mounting and get a start on the PS pump bracket. View attachment 1834939
View attachment 1834938
And before someone asks, yes, I'll fix the bezel :flipoff2:.

Wow it's been a while... haven't done much in the last year and a half (other than move across the country, get a new job, have another kid, buy another 40 and the wife a CJ7, lots of house/shop work on the new place, etc), but I want to take this thing to Colorado in August..
20200527_200727.jpg

I ordered up a bunch of stuff. Exhaust parts, AN fittings and hose for vacuum pump oil feed and power steering, got a new Saginaw Type II pump and pulley, misc radiator hoses, etc.
20200601_184547.jpg

Turns out this one works great on top when cut in half 😀.
20200601_184829.jpg

Wow it's been a while... haven't done much in the last year and a half (other than move across the country, get a new job, have another kid, buy another 40 and the wife a CJ7, lots of house/shop work on the new place, etc), but I want to take this thing to Colorado in August.. View attachment 2326942

I ordered up a bunch of stuff. Exhaust parts, AN fittings and hose for vacuum pump oil feed and power steering, got a new Saginaw Type II pump and pulley, misc radiator hoses, etc. View attachment 2326946

Turns out this one works great on top when cut in half 😀. View attachment 2326947

Tik Tok brother. Time to put the irons in the fire.

Wish I could share some late night wrenching sessions to help you with making that happen.

Giter Done Kleatus!

Wife and kids are out of town. Time to get busy. Made up exhaust. Installed pedal bucket, clutch master, brake master, booster, and rear brake components. Yes, it's all still in primer topside. Oh well, paint can wait. SAS4 is more important.
20200615_212739.jpg
20200614_195510.jpg
20200609_192554.jpg
20200614_195520.jpg

Made battery cables, engine and chassis grounds.
20200627_172008.jpg

I was relieved when I was able to drop the trans about an inch and get the parking brake drum on. It looked way too close, but I must have mocked it up with the drum attached.. at least I'd like to think I did!
20200629_215414.jpg

I finally tackled this..
20200614_165638.jpg

Getting everything straight and having it all hit the right length for a belt and tensioner takes patience... made up AN hoses for three steering as well.
20200628_165616.jpg

20200628_163647.jpg

I need to clean it up, trim some extra metal and paint it, but it should work fine and uses a standard belt and Ford tensioner.

I didn't like that strut type brace on the bracket so I fixed it, trimmed it up and painted it. More better.
20200630_210755.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the drums which I had turned a while ago.
20200630_192831.jpg

Had to get into the Klondike stash in the shop fridge to keep my helper motivated! I tried to have the dog clean him up but he didn't do a good enough job and now she knows about the stash.. 😬
20200630_191607.jpg

We had to go visit "beepaw" to get in some time on the lathe. I can't see why this kid loves going there so much 😂. He got a new toy so my son got to drive his first bulldozer this evening.
20200702_192839.jpg

Maybe not the "perfect" way to shorten a driveshaft, but you gotta work with what you have.
20200702_200127.jpg

20200702_202531.jpg

Still need to clean it up some more and paint it.
20200702_223710.jpg

Wiring diagrams stuck to the wall. Thats coming up soon. Shouldn't be bad, my front harness is in great shape and I have a brand new rear harness from Coolerman. All I need really is keyed power for injection pump on/off solonoid and cold start advance (which already has a temp sensor in the block), a switch and relay for glow plugs, and a few modifications to the charging circuit; bypassing the external regulator and ammeter.

20200702_224620.jpg

Your boy's gotten big! Last I saw, he was a baby in the basket while you were out with your wife joyriding in my '40.

Your boy's gotten big! Last I saw, he was a baby in the basket while you were out with your wife joyriding in my '40.
Funny how that happens isn't it? Hope you're doing well sir!

Shocks are on.
20200708_224750.jpg

20200708_224820.jpg

I used these #'s from Monroe. Made in USA, about $20 each, and extremely close to the same length as OME shocks (to match my 2 1/2" springs.) I'm guessing they'll be fairly soft, which is OK. The 31000s are for the rear of a 70s Chevy, and the 31094 is for a mid 90s Amigo (among other things). Vehicle weights are in the ballpark.
20200708_212323.jpg

I couldn't get at the shock mount bolts (these are cut down F250 shock towers). ...Here's a trick to pull bolts (or other things) into tough spots - drill a 1/16" hole about 3/16" deep in the bolt, and insert a piece of electric fence wire. Peen the bolt in around the wire with a center punch. Feed the wire through and pull it into place.
20200708_221452.jpg

20200708_221541.jpg

• Rear harness installed
  • Lights all working
  • Brakes and clutch bled
  • Serpentine belt PS system abondoned (kept jumping off)
  • Extra crank pulley modified (turned off serpentine portion and machined to accept a big block Chevy crank pulley inside, installed
  • PSC single V belt pulley for the Type II pump installed
  • Alternator/ vac pump oil lines plumbed in
  • Alternator wired up
  • Dash knobs in
  • Seats in
  • Test fit of radiator hoses and pressure check complete
  • Made up a bracket to hold 1 1/2" gauges (oil, water, voltage) in radio slot (no molestation required)
It moved under its own power in the shop for the first time in probably ~25 years last Friday. A friend of mine from Racine was headed south to Louisiana and stopped by to help out with the goal of making it move. We plumbed in the fuel tank, did some wiring, and messed with the belts for a while before giving up on the serpentine setup. He kindly took my extra crank pulley south with him and stopped by a friend's in Louisiana to do the machine work, then mailed it back to me.

I ran it for 45 mins last night with coolant and gauges for the first time (it took that long to hit 195). Even pulled it out of the shop and went down the drive. Oil pressure is 110 at cold start and about 50 at hot idle.

Gotta keep cracking! We leave in a week for SAS!!

616877733.jpg

received_734126587148411.png

20200720_200831.jpg

Any update

Wait.. you never did a SAS update?

Let’s go!
No, never did. I had more time and energy for this kinda thing before 2 kids and country life. I have to pick and choose which projects get attention (if any) these days, and most of the time it's kid stuff and house work.
I'll get a more detailed update here sometime, but here is a quick run down..

Cooling system needs attention (no fan at present, after electric fan blew up and took out rad at SAS4. I replaced it with an aluminum champion from Classic Cruisers (thanks Brandon!) at the campground, but without a fan it got hot at elevation and we had to stop frequently. I drove it around after getting home and it's fine with no fan at 600' ASL.

I blew the pressure side off the power steering hose going up Black Bear (and got the vacuum hose from pump to booster hot enough to suck shut at the same time..) so we went down BB with no PS and no power brakes. Easy enough fixes, but the pump whines and the fluid gets hot quickly. I may need a different restrictor orifice on the pump discharge.

The rear springs, once loaded up, swung the shackles to within 1/4" of the hanger, so when we were moving the (nice powder coated) hangers were taking a beating from the shackles. That's been fixed with longer shackles.

The injection pump defuels at ~1,900 rpm. It pulls great right up to that then falls on its face. The nameplate shows rated HP at 2,600 rpm, but I think there is some tweeking to the governer assembly to get there. With the NV4500 it lugs some between shifts, and tops out at right around 70 mph. I just need to bone up on Stanadyne DB2's or farm that out.

It drives, steers, stops great. You can let go of the wheel at 70 with no sweat. It will idle up anything in low range, and first gear is completely unnecessary on the road and most casual wheeling.

First tank was 32 mpg iirc. Second was 25 and included a full day of wheeling.

You don't hear the engine much on the road, over the normal FJ40 wind noise and rattles from all the junk I've had inside, but it's on the loud size for a relaxing day of putzing around in low range. I need to investigate some sound deadening (and seal up all the unused firewall holes.) That needs decided before I commit to final body prep and paint work. I think some combination of liner/lizard skin/mats/headliner and industrial genset style insulation underhood would go a long way convincing me I didn't make the wrong decision sticking it out with the diesel, but we shall see.

The size, combined with the noise and frequent stops to cool down was not conducive to a positive family experience at SAS, and I don't know that we'd take it again - certainly not in its present condition..

20200804_152744.jpg

After the cooling system fiasco, we traded steeds for the tow rig.. did Imogene one day, and ended up taking engineer and mineral creek back the next day. Got some funny looks from some Jeeple, but was pretty impressed with the Tundra. And AC is nice 😉.
20200805_134944(0).jpg
20200806_160556.jpg
20200805_124223.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom