Parking sensors thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
So one of my front parking sensors is acting up, beeping when nothing in front of it. Seems to only be affecting the front passenger outside sensor. It’s clean and isn’t pushed in. Naturally I went to various Lexus dealers I’ve been buying parts from and holy high price Batman. Prices range from $178 to $226 from a few Toyota and Lexus dealer sites. Now I don’t mind paying for OEM if reasonable. But this cost is abhorrent.

Amazon to the rescue? Anyone have any experience with cheap generic knockoffs? Something in my gut tells me that these aren’t exactly the same. I don’t see ultrasonic anywhere in the description. I’m curious if this is just another one of those “same ass thing made in the same ass place in China” and they are the same. Thoughts?

Amazon product ASIN B07KR1PYRB
Amazon product ASIN B07V952R7Z

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
Do you have any DTCs? Access to Techstream?

I’m personally almost always ok with trying Amazon junk. If it doesn’t work out, then pay the price to make the problem fixed. If turning off the sensors doesn’t appeal to you, then $180 or an eBay genuine used part is potentially worth it.

First, check to see if it is REALLY the sensor head or a wiring issue up stream.

First, check to see if it is REALLY the sensor head or a wiring issue up stream.

Wiring is not my strong suit, where should I start? Sucks because all worked perfectly and then boom this one spazzing out.

I wonder if I bumped anything behind my dash when I started running wires for the GROM Vline and USB cables

If you have a "multi-meter" I think you just need to see if you're getting juice to your sensor.
A relatively cheap one will work: Amazon.com : multi meter - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=multi+meter&rh=n%3A228013%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A1248909011&dc&qid=1620752265&rnid=1248907011&ref=sr_nr_p_72_1

Pull another sensor that you know is working and see what the voltage is on that, then do the same with the one in question.
Note: electrical is not my strong suit either, but this is pretty basic.

Found this with a simple Google search:

DTCs? Error codes? I don’t have tech steam but I’ll have access to use Giovanni’s in a couple weeks.
Yes, DTC= Diagnostic Trouble Code. It should help narrow the area of possible concern.

Pulling these sensors from this metal tech bumper will be a major pain. It was nearly impossible putting them in there to begin with!

I wonder if i bumped the ECU or wiring harness that controls it while I was running wires? I read it is right below the far passenger air vent...which is exactly where I stuffed a bunch of wiring. Haha whoops!

• Wow
Reactions: r2m
Pulling these sensors from this metal tech bumper will be a major pain. It was nearly impossible putting them in there to begin with!

I wonder if i bumped the ECU or wiring harness that controls it while I was running wires? I read it is right below the far passenger air vent...which is exactly where I stuffed a bunch of wiring. Haha whoops!
It would have been good to lead with the sensors are not in a factory bumper.
Now, the sensors were installed in your bumper, are they using the factory bezels, none, or an aftermarket set of bezels?

I ask, because after installing my metal bumper (with aftermarket/eBay bezels) they worked perfectly as they did on the factory plastic bumper, but soon found that they were triggering as I pulled into an open parking spot. Playing with them I was able to get them functioning as they should but it only lasted a short time. I went back and forth fiddling with them for a few weeks on clear days and rainy weather too. I mostly resolved it by taking compressed air and blowing out water/grit from that rubber seal around the front of the sensors. (This was after I pulled out the whole harness behind the bumper, swapped around sensors, and tested the wiring and each sensor, since the wiring had to be extended for my TrailReady bumper).

I’m now mostly happy with the outcome and I think it all comes down to water/grit getting in that rubber seal around the front of the sensors as I still have it falsely trigger on occasion (Mainly with rain). I can’t test out my theory that the factory bezels squeeze that rubber a bit tighter, as the metal bumper holes are a tad too small to accept the factory bezels/sensor, but fit the eBay/tundra flat bezels perfectly.
With dry weather, I have no issues at all. And with wet weather, I only have false triggers on occasion. So I say Start with blowing out the groove around the rubber seals on the sensors.

I also found that having secure wiring behind the bumper, not tugging on the sensors helps as well. Use zip ties and take the hanging weight of the harness off the sensors.

It would have been good to lead with the sensors are not in a factory bumper.
Now, the sensors were installed in your bumper, are they using the factory bezels, none, or an aftermarket set of bezels?

I ask, because after installing my metal bumper (with aftermarket/eBay bezels) they worked perfectly as they did on the factory plastic bumper, but soon found that they were triggering as I pulled into an open parking spot. Playing with them I was able to get them functioning as they should but it only lasted a short time. I went back and forth fiddling with them for a few weeks on clear days and rainy weather too. I mostly resolved it by taking compressed air and blowing out water/grit from that rubber seal around the front of the sensors. (This was after I pulled out the whole harness behind the bumper, swapped around sensors, and tested the wiring and each sensor, since the wiring had to be extended for my TrailReady bumper).

I’m now mostly happy with the outcome and I think it all comes down to water/grit getting in that rubber seal around the front of the sensors as I still have it falsely trigger on occasion (Mainly with rain). I can’t test out my theory that the factory bezels squeeze that rubber a bit tighter, as the metal bumper holes are a tad too small to accept the factory bezels/sensor, but fit the eBay/tundra flat bezels perfectly.
With dry weather, I have no issues at all. And with wet weather, I only have false triggers on occasion. So I say Start with blowing out the groove around the rubber seals on the sensors.

I also found that having secure wiring behind the bumper, not tugging on the sensors helps as well. Use zip ties and take the hanging weight of the harness off the sensors.

Original factory sensors and bezels are being used. Everything worked perfectly for a few weeks so the setup itself was fine. Either the sensor is bad, harness adapter has an issue or the sensor ECU is acting up or maybe a combination. I bought two aftermarket sensors I’m going to test out after I swap the suspect sensor in to another spot and see if the problem moves with it. I’m going to report back once I test it more. It’s been raining for like two weeks straight and on top of that last week daughter had that hand foot mouth thing kids get so I couldn’t do jack this past week.

Original factory sensors and bezels are being used. Everything worked perfectly for a few weeks so the setup itself was fine. Either the sensor is bad, harness adapter has an issue or the sensor ECU is acting up or maybe a combination. I bought two aftermarket sensors I’m going to test out after I swap the suspect sensor in to another spot and see if the problem moves with it. I’m going to report back once I test it more. It’s been raining for like two weeks straight and on top of that last week daughter had that hand foot mouth thing kids get so I couldn’t do jack this past week.
Did you ever resolve this? Also, see from your sig that you sold your Rav4 Prime. Didn't like it?

Did you ever resolve this? Also, see from your sig that you sold your Rav4 Prime. Didn't like it?
I have had those sensors turned off since that post. Haven't had a whole lot of free time. I'm hoping this spring and summer I'll have the time since the kid will be older and more self sufficient.

Sold the Prime for two reasons, and they are in order:

1. Needed 3/4 ton truck
2. Made like $17k on it selling it

I have had those sensors turned off since that post. Haven't had a whole lot of free time. I'm hoping this spring and summer I'll have the time since the kid will be older and more self sufficient.

Sold the Prime for two reasons, and they are in order:

1. Needed 3/4 ton truck
2. Made like $17k on it selling it
Mine are off as well, having same sensor, pass front corner, throwing an error. Haven't had time to troubleshoot either, was hoping you'd solved it. And good on your for making some bank on the Rav...

Mine are off as well, having same sensor, pass front corner, throwing an error. Haven't had time to troubleshoot either, was hoping you'd solved it. And good on your for making some bank on the Rav...
I do plan on addressing the issue along with everything else by the fall. I have WAY too many projects on both vehicles...

So one of my front parking sensors is acting up, beeping when nothing in front of it. Seems to only be affecting the front passenger outside sensor. It’s clean and isn’t pushed in. Naturally I went to various Lexus dealers I’ve been buying parts from and holy high price Batman. Prices range from $178 to $226 from a few Toyota and Lexus dealer sites. Now I don’t mind paying for OEM if reasonable. But this cost is abhorrent.

Amazon to the rescue? Anyone have any experience with cheap generic knockoffs? Something in my gut tells me that these aren’t exactly the same. I don’t see ultrasonic anywhere in the description. I’m curious if this is just another one of those “same ass thing made in the same ass place in China” and they are the same. Thoughts?

Amazon product ASIN B07KR1PYRB
Amazon product ASIN B07V952R7Z
For the cost of admission, I'd play. Either $13.00 or $25.00 isn't too bad to pay and the $25.00 option, the one comment with one star stated that it didn't work on his RX, but refund was quick and friendly.
Should be an easy test. Just pull it out, plug in the new sensor into the wiring and with it hanging down below your bumper, have someone hop in your drivers seat, shift into drive (with foot on brake and e-brake on) and see if it dings while you move the sensor around in front.

Well, I finally dug into this. Torque Pro won't read the Park Assist ECU, and didn't register any codes. Techstream threw a C1AE4, front right sensor malfunction code. I bought some cheap Chinese replacements, 4 for $25, and they didn't fix the problem, and turned off the entire front array. Lexus wants over 200 bucks for these, so hard pass on that. Have some more reputable ones inbound this week, will report back later.

Looking for ones compatible with 89341-48010

FYI, these are the ones that didn't work on my 2011.
Amazon product ASIN B09ZXX7ZVV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom