Parking brake switch/brake warning light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, Land Cruiser newbie and proud owner of a "fully restored" 1982 FJ40. I love it and overall is in great shape, but I have learned that "fully restored" does not always mean everything was done correctly. Shortly after I got it, I noticed the brake warning light/seat belt light did not illuminate. I pulled it out of the dash, thinking it might be the bulbs, only to find it wasn't connected to anything. I did some research and found that it should illuminate when the parking brake is engaged. Well, looking at the parking brake switch, it does not appear to be connected to anything either (see pics below)

I have the FSM and though I am not an expert on wiring diagrams, looks to be on same circuit as heater and these should be connected, as well as to the brake warning switch and stop light switch.

My question is: do i just need to directly connect the brake warning light and the parking brake switch, or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance

20211110_132427.jpg

20211110_132437.jpg

20211110_132451.jpg

terms get thrown around frequently and we all have our own definition of them

there is more to the wiring, I think the brake master float also will illuminate the brake light, if the fluid gets low.

any idea who went thru the rig?

there is more to the wiring, I think the brake master float also will illuminate the brake light, if the fluid gets low.

I don't know who worked on the truck, I purchased it from a guy in Illinois. It's a US truck. You're right, i think the brake warning switch is attached to the master cylinder and illuminates this light if there is a problem

It's probably disconnected either because they forgot to hook it up during the restoration or they got tired of it just constantly being illuminated unless the parking brake handle is in the exactly perfect position and it will flicker on and off. The other end of the harness it plugs into should be at or just off the top of the wiring harness above your steering column behind your dash

No one knows how these should be wired?

It's probably disconnected either because they forgot to hook it up during the restoration or they got tired of it just constantly being illuminated unless the parking brake handle is in the exactly perfect position and it will flicker on and off. The other end of the harness it plugs into should be at or just off the top of the wiring harness above your steering column behind your dash

i do know they go bad often and require replacement ?

a simple Continuity Test can help determine if the PIN SWITCH Box is faulty or not ?

if it is , then you have a TOYOTA Genuine parts JAPAN Sourced solution LINK Below ........ :)

DSCN8492_2048x.jpg

DSCN8495_2048x.jpg

DSCN8498_2048x.jpg

The brake light on the dash is grounded by the PB switch, brake fluid reservoir float or the alternator "L" terminal.

1636913406557.png

Thanks for the replies. the wiring diagram i have (from 1980 FSM) looks a little different - see below - looks like brake warning light and parking brake switch are both grounded through the brake warning switch (which i think i on the master cylinder). But, sounds y'all are telling me there should be a direct connection between the parking brake switch and the warning light on the dash, and that may have been disconnected due to a faulty parking brake switch causing the light to be constantly on? do i have that right? if so, i should be good to go.

20211114_124456.jpg

That schematic is for a MC equipped with pressure switches, do you have that or the reservoir float switch?

Looks like I do have the float switch, see attached but i guess unsurprisingly, it is not connected to anything either. What year did they change from the pressure switch to the float switch, or could it be either in any year?

20211115_134508.jpg

Not sure when the change was made. You may have a connector dangling that this connects to. Look around the harness that comes out of the firewall on the driver side.

Not sure when the change was made. You may have a connector dangling that this connects to. Look around the harness that comes out of the firewall on the driver side.

for some reason I'm thinking the change was 1981? when it went from 2 resevoirs to 1 resevoir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom