Parking Brake Plate - Hard to Find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello and good day to y’all!
Long story short, I need to swap out the rear parking brake assembly on my ‘94 KZJ78. I bought a kit from Autozone for a 2007 FJ Cruiser and it contained all the required hardware as well as the parking brake shoes. Everything was going well until I noticed on my passenger side, the rear plate where the pin goes through is been severely corroding over the years to the point where the pin simply goes through the back plate and the brake will not set properly due to the tension of the springs. I am not sure about my terminology so I appointment for that but what are my options here? At first I put a washer to prevent the pin from going through but adding even just one washer cuts the pin shorter and somehow it still managed to

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I think the part number I need is: 46504-60031 but I have found it to be really hard and really expensive. Here’s what I’ve thought about doing in the meantime.

1. See if there is a way to weld metal in the area and drill a hole so I can go on about my day.

2. Find or pay someone to make a longer pin and put a wide washer through the back so it will stay put and let it be. See the 3rd pick. A piece off my peg board is the exact thickness as the pin and long enough I just don’t have a way to crimp down the end to hold the retainer and the spring.

3. Cross reference this part to something domestic so it doesn’t take a long time to get here and possibly cheaper.

This was supposed to be a one day fix and now I can’t drive it due to having no parking/emergency brake. Such is the life lol

1CDBB08B-EE4F-41C1-94AB-22BF15730E6A.jpeg

DE03733C-4035-4A8C-8F1E-8881FB73323A.jpeg

7C932435-1F9D-454C-A880-E20B00F321BF.jpeg

5932F4D6-E922-4075-A0C8-43AF5A27628C.jpeg

I’d try a 4Runner rear backing plate from the same time period (with rear disc brakes).

Which you should be able to get from a US Toyota dealer.

Caveat: it’s late and I’m tired and I didn’t correlate anything. But the logic is there.

I’d try a 4Runner rear backing plate from the same time period (with rear disc brakes).

Which you should be able to get from a US Toyota dealer.

Caveat: it’s late and I’m tired and I didn’t correlate anything. But the logic is there.
I feel ya, I was too tired to look up suitable alternates. At first glance I didn’t find any alternates that would work and the ‘94 4runner seems to have slightly different backing plates. I’ll do my due diligence but I think making a longer pin is going to be the best route at this point until I can find a replacement plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom