Park "Thud" Normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 80 w/ the high-tech A343F tranny ;) Most of the time, when I stop the vehicle and put it in "park", engage the e-brake, and take my foot off the brake, I hear a "thud" sound a few seconds later. I *sometimes* also hear a "click" sound from the transmission shift lever. I'm wondering if this is normal. I'm guessing it is the sound of the parking pawl- could this be it? Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong here?

sounds like the pawl. I removed a LARGE number of odd noises by hitting all my zirks with the ol grease gun. unloading driveshafts can cause a similar noises if they are dry.

It sounds like you are allowing the vehicle to "roll" into the pawl. Bad form IMHO. I prefer to shut down the vehicle in this order:
With the vechicle at rest, in gear:
#1) Apply parking brake.
#2) Shift into neutral.
#3) Release foot brake and allow vehicle to "settle" against parking brake.
#4) Shift into park and shut down engine.

The above procedure prevents hammering of the pawl. (Yes I'm anal) ::)

C-Dan,

You're officially on the anally retentive owner list. I also cannot abide by 5300lbs being brought up short by a park pawl. Keep it up and I'll nominate you to become a Miller.

IdahoDoug - of the famous Miller clan

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5195;start=msg40472#msg40472 date=1063336112]
The above procedure prevents hammering of the pawl. (Yes I'm anal) ::)
[/quote]

Indeeeeed.....I think I saw this on the internet somewhere...

Nah, that's not anal. If you have a driveway that has any sort of an incline, what Cdan described is just common sense with any vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom