Park Brake Wear Items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
I just had the rear wheelbearings done and had the shop do the park brake shoes while they were in there.

The park brake was well out of adjustment when I picked the vehicle up but took it home with the intention of bedding in the new shoes and adjusting it myself (I've always been successful adjusting the PBs on my 80s).
However, using the factory adjustment method the adjuster bolts at the backing plates are screwed to their full extension and still have excessive gap to the backing plate. I've compensated by over-adjusting the park brake cable but that's a temporary measure.

What are the primary wear items within the parking brake mechanism (inside the drum) that would cause the adjustment to be so unachievable? Are there components which might bend outa shape?

They may have assembled wrong.

Additionally, there is a shim, that comes in different thickness. See FSM procedure. This could account for a little, perhaps.

If assembled correctly:
Is rotor OEM, was ID of drum checked.
Pads, and are they OEM.

Nice timing of topic. Just had my parking brake refurbished, fresh springs and shoes. All metal pieces were in good shape. These parts are still cheap at the dealer and the parking brake went from not working to working 🤙🏼

Considering the amount of wear the HB does not get, the stretched cable is the only real thing to be considered. There is 'dog bone' offerings, to replace ghe OE versions, but unless they are cut to the correct size they are less than useless.

Everything works fine if they are set up properly, many get a spanner out and call it done after three minutes 'fiddling', do it right and use it correctly, then it will not need checking again until you change the brake pads.

The main problem is the FSM has steps missing and that is why so many people have problems.

Regards

Dave

Considering the amount of wear the HB does not get, the stretched cable is the only real thing to be considered. There is 'dog bone' offerings, to replace ghe OE versions, but unless they are cut to the correct size they are less than useless.

Everything works fine if they are set up properly, many get a spanner out and call it done after three minutes 'fiddling', do it right and use it correctly, then it will not need checking again until you change the brake pads.

The main problem is the FSM has steps missing and that is why so many people have problems.

Regards

Dave
What are some of the steps that are missing from the FSM?

Not using spacers on the wheel studs so you can trap the drums in place before trying to adjust the shoes for example. After each adjustment work the handbrake a few times to make sure the shoes are centered correctly.

There are other tips that should be there, for example typex on the shoe adjuster wheel, typex on the drum/disc before removing it, mark the backplate/drum where the adjuster wheel is. Just little things which can save time and frustration when assembling and adjusting.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom