Paid 3k in engine work and it still runs bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought an fj60 that had been sitting a long time and the first time I went to emissions I failed misserably. Not knowing much about cruisers and carbs and vaccum hoses at the time I immediatly took it to a shop that was supposed to know them inside and out been working on them for years etc... Needless to say he gave it a "tune up" told me I should spend 3k rebuilding and for the mean time I should rejet it and it would run like crap pass and then have him rejet again all to the tune of 400$. I kindly declined paid for the 140 tune up / spark plug change and supposid diagnosis and was on my way. First off I didn't belive him that my 60 wouldn't pass, 150 k miles didn't burn oil doesent smoke and the po even put a new cat on last time he took it to emissions he told me with a tune up plugs wires etc. Secondly it seemed rather dishonest to jet it pass rejet and a 400$ hassle that didnt fix the problem. What really rubbed me wrong is when I started reading and learning about the crazy vaccum lines I noticed some were off/ ripped/ pinched. I really had a hard time seeing how a supposid cruiser expert missed all of this so I looked at the diagrams put the lines where they were supposed to go replaced most of them along the way cleaned my carb changed the air filter ran some seafoam through for a week and a half took it to the emissions shop and passed with flying colors. I live in Arizona and have to pass some pretty strict emissions so it should be possible. I would think something with the emissions systems isn't hooked up right or is not functioning. Make sure you warm it up really well before the test though I drove it on the highway for about 30 minutes before and don't shut it down until your done.

I also talked to man-a-fre and got a second oppinion because I was thinking about a rebuild if this was true, I cant stand half done anything. They told me 60s in good tune pass all day out their and I guess my emissions here are close to or as strict. But anyway after that I went at it and found the problems fixed them and was set.

Don't they use the emissions requirements from the production year of your car/truck?
I still think these guys didn't go through the emissions supplement FSM which will walk you through EVERYTHING required to get your truck running as it should.

the fact is, i think the mechanic has a bit of a point, despite him seemingly acting like an a$$ and walking out on you like that. in california anyway its getting almost impossible to get a carburated auto through smog check unless everything is in tip top shape and even then it seems impossible sometimes. one of the reasons i went for a sbc with throttle body injection, though the tbi can be nearly as bad. typically i ask my mechanic (on other vehicles i have) to first tune the car to pass smog, run the test, and then retune it to run well. strange as it may seem, that seems to be what you need to do in california with anything less than an injected motor. when the motor stock toyota motor was brand new, with new vacumn lines and all equipment, and the smog standards were a lot looser, it was not a problem. now however the smog standards have tightened up a lot (again, in cali anyway, not sure where you are) and add to that 20 years on all your peripheral equipment and you end up in this situation. the real point of smog check in cali is to get your car off the road without seeming to be too facist about it...they want only prius on the road these days and for everyone to ride the stinkin bus. most (non enthusiasts) would hear that from the mechanic and sell the vehicle to the state and give up on it in favor of a "flavor of the day" eco-box and thats their aim...to frustrate owners of older cars enough that they just pitch it in and junk the car.

im not saying everything they did was right, but my experience kind of goes along with what the mechanic is saying: even buying a brand new carb is no guarantee of passing smog. having them tune it to pass and then retune it to run may in fact be the only way to do it. and most smog stations arent real keen on doing that because they are jeopardizing their smog license.

anyway it will be interesting to hear what the next guy you bring it to says and what you end up having to do to get past the smog monster.

one love
jah bill

This is just my opinion and I base it on having owned exactly one cruiser and whatever knowledge/experience I have:

1) 60s have a hard time passing emissions;
2) 60s have a crapload of emission control devices which all can and do fail;
3) 60s fail emissions, not because "they just do," but because one or more of the million emissions compnents fail.

Even a good mechanic may not be familiar with carbs and no mechanic can be an expert at all vehicles.

Because of all the smog control devices, the only effective way to diagnose a failing vehicle is to go through the steps in the FSM (although even that is no guarantee). Clearly, your mechanic did not follow the process - he used his own method which probably works 98% of the time. But just because his process didn't work on your cruiser, that doesn't mean there is anything inherently wrong with or overly difficult with a cruiser.

I certainly would not blindly throw money into your cruiser. A good running cruiser, with all systems working will pass emissions with flying colors. In fact, if you are just barely passing emissions, I would bet money there is something still wrong with your car. You should be passing with just a fraction of what is allowed. Some people have even provided their mechanics with FSMs. Most good shops will have Alldata or Mitchell or similar which will essentially have all the FSM info. If they follow the steps, although tedious, they can get your car to pass.

On mine, 75% of all the devices were faulty. Some were unavailible and I had to buy used. The last thing I did (because I did not have an infrared thermometer) was replace the cat. My numbers were less than 5% of the allowable limits after that.

Any cruiser in good shape can pass with plenty of room to spare - it is just tough figuring out why it isn't passing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom