P0335…to a bent valve (update...and it's not good) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s odd I would expect other codes with a plug like that. Sorry man.

Your code is semi-generic, like I said you’ll get it for various reasons including low battery. This may be a more severe reason for it though. From the plug damage I’d bet on a broken valve spring (which the 3UR occasionally sees) vs a bottom end issue, but honestly this result has already surprised me.

That’s odd I would expect other codes with a plug like that. Sorry man.

Your code is semi-generic, like I said you’ll get it for various reasons including low battery. This may be a more severe reason for it though. From the plug damage I’d bet on a broken valve spring (which the 3UR occasionally sees) vs a bottom end issue, but honestly this result has already surprised me.
I’d agree with the bet on a broken valve spring, given the history and symptoms. Knocks can be hard to pin down and one that sounds like the bottom end could just be the piston hitting broken upper end parts. I do wonder why it won’t run, even with a plug like that?

Plan is to scope it on Monday. See what we see in cylinder 7. Will hope cylinder wall and top of piston are intact. We’ll take it from there. May drop the oil pan. However on draining the oil, it looked clean. I’m not sure that’s necessary but will consider this so we can inspect crank bearings. Once we get to this point I’ll have to make a decision. They will want to pull the head and send it off. My impression is it’ll be all or nothing. I don’t think they will entertain just replacing valve spring. (if that’s all it is). It’ll be engine, if they keep it.

I’ll see what develops on Monday. I’m collecting all of this evidence and will get another opinion. I’ve already touched base with Overland Cruisers in Bozeman. If indeed Toyota tells me it needs an engine, I’m thinking I will drag it up to Bozeman and let Overland Cruisers tear into it and hopefully just replace what needs replacing.

Never did I think I’d be in this situation with this truck. It’s been absolutely flawless and has always run like a top. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Until now. I’m struggling to understand how it can just have a failure like this out of the blue…

There is zero chance it just needs a valve spring. Those things don't break without valves dropping and other damage. Whether it hurt the bottom end depends on where that valve ended up and how long it took to end up there, and that is highly random.

Sorry to hear this man, I know the vast majority being dependable doesn't help how you feel in this situation.

Ugh. Definitely not what you wanted to see.

I recently sold my 2013 tundra with 208k miles on it. It had low compression on one of the cylinders.
After looking at $5k for a used engine and then either installing it myself or paying to have it done, at the end of the day, it was a company truck and not worth it to me to keep it. My 2007 tundra that I bought new and sold to my mechanic and he still drives it with 347k miles on it. Sometimes you just don’t know

Bummed to hear about your cruiser.

Update. Borescope showing a bent valve. Dropping oil pan today. Praying all is well on the bottom end. If yes, next step is pull the head to definitively determine extent of damage. More to come.

IMG_8818.gif

It's pretty crazy how often you read about broken valve springs on these 5.7s.
I mean, it’s a 16 year old engine.

The broken valve spring is mainly seen on the 2008-2011 models. After that they changed the metallurgy of the spring and it isn’t nearly as common (if not unheard of on the later models).

Sorry to hear about that man!

It's pretty crazy how often you read about broken valve springs on these 5.7s.
Relative to what we expect out of Toyota, maybe, but out of thousands (?) of 200-owners on here I think it is still less than ten.

So it's exceedingly rare, but I understand the alarm because it's seemingly unpreventable without huge amounts of work, that is most likely unnecessary. None of that helps liv2bike out though...

Sorry to hear that news. I'm hoping the bottom end is healthy as well. Very good news the valve didn't break off.

So? Never happened on a 2UZ.
I’ve seen 2uz have engine failures. They are great motors, but all things mechanical experience failures.

I mean, it’s a 16 year old engine.

Yeah, but kind of a ridiculous problem on a "low stress v-8". If this were trying to hit 9k redlines it would be a little more forgivable.

The broken valve spring is mainly seen on the 2008-2011 models. After that they changed the metallurgy of the spring and it isn’t nearly as common (if not unheard of on the later models).

Sorry to hear about that man!

I googled it extensively (that makes me an expert, right!?) before buying my LC. It definitely happens post 2011. Google Toyota 5.7 valve spring failure - The valve springs on the LC 5.7 and Tundra 5.7 are the same part number and seem to exhibit the same failure. It's a ... I wouldn't call widespread, but very well known and discussed issue with the tundras and sequoias. the LX/LC share the same part number valve springs as the tundra/seqouia.

I'm not losing sleep over it, but I think it's interesting how when ford/gm/whoever have these types of issues people seem to look at it a certain way, yet when LC/LX have leaky valley plates, cam cap seals, broken valve springs, it's "16 years old!" or "all mechanical things break!"

Yeah, but kind of a ridiculous problem on a "low stress v-8". If this were trying to hit 9k redlines it would be a little more forgivable.

I googled it extensively (that makes me an expert, right!?) before buying my LC. It definitely happens post 2011. Google Toyota 5.7 valve spring failure - The valve springs on the LC 5.7 and Tundra 5.7 are the same part number and seem to exhibit the same failure. It's a ... I wouldn't call widespread, but very well known and discussed issue with the tundras and sequoias. the LX/LC share the same part number valve springs as the tundra/seqouia.

I'm not losing sleep over it, but I think it's interesting how when ford/gm/whoever have these types of issues people seem to look at it a certain way, yet when LC/LX have leaky valley plates, cam cap seals, broken valve springs, it's "16 years old!" or "all mechanical things break!"
I have not heard of a 2013+ 200 series (3UR built in Japan, not the American 3UR’s) having the valve spring issue. There has been a few cases of the 2011 and prior engines grenading due to the valve spring snapping though.

If it did happen to a 2012+ Tundra, it is very rare, but I would contribute that to the lesser quality American part vs. Japanese part suppliers

I have not heard of a 2013+ 200 series (3UR built in Japan, not the American 3UR’s) having the valve spring issue. There has been a few cases of the 2011 and prior engines grenading due to the valve spring snapping though.

If it did happen to a 2012+ Tundra, it is very rare, but I would contribute that to the lesser quality American part vs. Japanese part suppliers
I'd struggle to find it but there was definitely a thread on here with a 2013 or older spring failure. I remember specifically because I have a 13 and until learning that had hoped toyota sorted the issue out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom