Oxymoron?: a mud capable A/T? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
***spent an hour searching and reading but didn't find this exact topic covered***

The question is: Is there an A/T tire that isn't completely useless in mud?

Almost every comparison or review thread includes statements like "they're fantastic in everything but mud where they fill up and just spin." Is this an absolute truth?

My usage will be 90% on road including hwy. But I don't want to have to get a tow out of every mud patch.

I thought you were going with MT/Rs??

Without large voids in the tread block a tire doesn't have the ability to clear itself well. That's why ATs will "clog up" with mud faster than a "MT style" tire.

That being said, some folks in the Northeast like the Interco Truxus MT. The center blocks are siped and the outer lugs are well spaced. The center lugs are a bit close. Never ran these, never plan to.

Some companies make an "X/T". It's basically a slightly more aggressive A/T. Less noise than an M/T. Worth looking into.

bigo2.jpg

I thought you were going with MT/Rs??

Without large voids in the tread block a tire doesn't have the ability to clear itself well. That's why ATs will "clog up" with mud faster than a "MT style" tire.

That being said, some folks in the Northeast like the Interco Truxus MT. The center blocks are siped and the outer lugs are well spaced. The center lugs are a bit close. Never ran these, never plan to.

Yea Jon, I think that's what I'll end up with but for $1000 plus, I want to make sure I've covered all my bases.

just tell yourself no because you will wind up settling for something you will posting on later telling us how bad it sucks

(can you change a set of tires in your driveway?, if so I'd get two sets, they will last incredibly long and wear is wear...its the same thing, 1 off-road set and 1 on-road set )

I'd just H8 it if my premonition came true......:flipoff2:

oh I got an idea!

Lets go to chat, and start a post every time we need a carfax!

then chat can go to 80's tech every time they need to put a scion radio in an 80, or a price check on tires, or wreck our beloved, spot another 80 and want to know who was in it, whats a "locking diff"?, need more mpg, more power, more torque, thinking about buying another 80, what motor swap is the best cuz the one in it sucks after 300k and no tune up, best winter tire, best sumer tire, best AT to do an MT's job or it'll get poo pooed, best MT bias ply for on road 100 miles a day DD or it'll get poo pooed, best color, best seats, I need more cup holders, AC is weak if it don't blow ice crystals,.................:hmm:

Last edited:

No.

There are only mud tires that are marginally acceptable on the road.

Even dedicated mud tires struggle in mud. The flavor of the mud and what is under it will make a huge difference as well.

Avoid mud. Especially in really heavy Land Cruisers.

IH8mud.

What about the pro comp xtreme MT? Its not really a mud tire, not really an all terrain:

Xtreme Mud Terrain

I have had pro comps in the past and consider them a great tire.

Karl

best winter tire, best sumer tire, best AT to do an MT's job or it'll get poo pooed, best MT bias ply for on road 100 miles a day DD

Crap, sorry man. I really did search and hate posting the same damn thread that had already been covered. I'll go flog myself :D

For an A/T, the 285 Revos have done pretty well in South FL mud and swampland. They're not spectacular, but they're far from useless once aired down to 10 psi. You just have to keep them spinning and not stop. Momentum is your friend, especially in these pigs.

My usage will be 90% on road including hwy. But I don't want to have to get a tow out of every mud patch.

This was along the lines of my thinking when I chose the Revos. My truck needed tires when I bought it, and at the time it was my daily driver. I knew that at least 80% of the miles would be on asphalt, and I wanted a tire that was great in the rain and quieter than the stock stereo at highway speeds. It also needed to handle sand, limestone and mud with relative ease without wearing out in a year.

I got what I wanted, but in the end it's always a compromise. That said, my next set of tires will likely be 35" Toyo MTRs.

IH8MUD end of story.

it ends up everywhere and is a never ending pain in the arse to get rid of.

that being said the only tire I have ever used in it that was worth a damn was the swamper.

I'm not a real HW user .. so my opinion are not totaly valid for the thread maybe. I just thought the new " MT " tires are not that agresive like olders would are ..

My best MT tire on mud ( and take note mud down here are our speciality ) was the General Grabber .. MT of course .. great on road .. gread on mud ( MT on mind .. )

Now I have a set of Toyos MT on my 80 .. and thought are a great tire on road .. and the same peace of sh*** on mud .. as same as GY MTR .. but are great on road ( wet and dry ) tires ..

It all depends in what do you expect from a MT tire .. on mud.

IMOP Panamenian mud = chains .. or at least boggers

Here is what I am thinking of doing. I want to run an AT tire for normal driving, but I want to get a set of Super Swamper Boggers on cheap rims to put on for driving off road. I know this isn't a cheap solution, but mud is tough on any tire, and no tire works better in mud (in my experience) than the Bogger. It's basically a street legal paddle tire.

Here is what I am thinking of doing. I want to run an AT tire for normal driving, but I want to get a set of Super Swamper Boggers on cheap rims to put on for driving off road. I know this isn't a cheap solution, but mud is tough on any tire, and no tire works better in mud (in my experience) than the Bogger. It's basically a street legal paddle tire.

LTB's on junk yard steelies.......:cool:

I 2nd that :cheers:

***spent an hour searching and reading but didn't find this exact topic covered***

Almost every comparison or review thread includes statements like "they're fantastic in everything but mud where they fill up and just spin." Is this an absolute truth?

Look at Cooper Discoverer S/T -------[[[70% on road but supposedly really good offroad]]] much more aggressive looking in person.

Cooper Discoverer STT ------[[[this one is similiar to GY MTR]]]

Also Mastercraft Courser C/T -----[[[made by Cooper and Similiar to C.D. S/T]]]

These tires tend to fall under the radar and usually cheaper. They have good wear and the ones I've seen don't usually need that much weight to balance.

Last edited:
Ive been impressed by the nitto terra grappler aired down on my buddys 80, unlocked on 35's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom