OX lockers question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just on thier web site and did not see any Toyota listing. But I might not be looking in the right place. Do they make them for 60's?

It is my understanding that the OX locker design will not work with Banjo type axles (toyota, ford 9", etc.) and are only available for Salsbury type axles (Dana, AAM, GM Corporate, etc).

Unless they redesign the third member or add a removable inspection cover modifying the axle housing, this is not likely to change...

Dan

It is my understanding that the OX locker design will not work with Banjo type axles (toyota, ford 9", etc.) and are only available for Salsbury type axles (Dana, AAM, GM Corporate, etc).

Unless they redesign the third member or add a removable inspection cover modifying the axle housing, this is not likely to change...

Dan
How are the toy axles fundamentally different than a dana axle??

The rear toy axle has a removable cover.

Or are you saying it is more a matter of removable diff cover??

Plus, please tell me the difference between a corporate 14 bolt and a 9"

(BTW, this is not a fight, I truly want to know the difference because as I understand it, the cover is about it)

And my opinion on the Ox is wait till they actually can support the product before you purchase..

Mace,

Manuacturers of Beam or Solid axle assemblies catogorize them two ways: Banjo or Salsbury. The Banjo axle has a fabricated Axle assembly that is bolted to the third member or differential carrier that supports the differential case (some times refered to as Carrier in the aftermarket) and the pinion gear and bearings. This type of axle is typified by the toyota axle, the ford 9" and the Rockwell. On the other hand, for the Salsbury the third member or carrier is part of the fabricated beam of the axle. The differential case is installed into the complete axle assembly. This axle has a bolt on, removable inspection cover on the side opposite the pinion. (yes, some banjo axles have removable covers, too such as some older toyotas and older Dodge Power Wagon axles). Examples of Salsbury axles are seen in all Dana axles, most corporate Chrysler axles, all corporate GM axles.

That is what I was refering to... Both designs have there advantages and disadvantages. With regard to the OX locker, their current design will only work with the Salsbury axles.

Hope this helps,
Dan

So you are saying that a Banjo axle with a removable diff cover will not work with an Ox locker.

Other than the diff cover (rear LC axle) is there any reason a ox will not work on a banjo axle.

They need to modify the OX design drastically to work in banjo axle type ?

I thought is a maker issue, coz mos of Cruiser over threire ( 80 series ) come with E-lockers .. it lets apart a huge amount of posible buyers of selectable lockers.

the ox locker relies on a specialy designed removable diff cover to engage or disengage the locker.

If you do not have a removeable diff cover. It has no way of actuating the locking mechanism..

OH good point I did not think of that. I thought at one point TLC's had a cable lock system? or am I just :banana:'s

Yes, Toyota did have cable lockers but it was never available in the US. Their mechanism was set up differently than Ox and didn't need removable covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom