Overlanding seqouia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats everyones must haves when overlanding overnight? trying to get a tailer set up and get some deep cyle batteries that charge while the truck is running. have a portable 12v heater I plan on using for the cold nights to take the chill off. Plan on sleeping in the truck but have to have at least one car seat in for my son who comes with!

It's going to be mostly eastern Oregon and not planning on anything colder that 20 or so. And yes have good sleeping bags already just wanted to keep the kid a littler warmer.

It's going to be mostly eastern Oregon and not planning on anything colder that 20 or so. And yes have good sleeping bags already just wanted to keep the kid a littler warmer.

Pretty soon it'll be colder than 20F at night in eastern Oregon. If you are sleeping inside the vehicle warm blankets and sleeping bag should be plenty.

Where are you located?

I find that one of those air activated body warmers dropped into the bottom of the bag works wonders for kiddos. The modern/disposable/leak free version of a hot water bottle.

I only use my heated blanket when it's butt ass (below freezing) cold. A good sleeping bag with a good liner and thermals have done me great (and I've been out many times ( pre-electric blankey) in below zero temps (and I'm a woman, we're notoriously freezing).
A smaller tent (to keep heating to a minimum) helps.
Again, good thermals are important.
Use a couple cheap hand warmers to preheat the toe section
If no hand warmers, grab a rock from near the fire

In my experience, the best way to start warm and stay warm while in a sleeping bag is to fill a Nalgene, or similar watertight container full of hot water (a small backpacking stove/pot works great, is cheap, and takes up little space), and place one or two of them in you sleeping bag prior to climbing in. This will pre heat the sleeping bag and it will stay warm for many hours. Also, wear a beanie to keep your head warm.

A hot rock grabbed from a fire ring can be dangerous as it's difficult to control the temp. of the rock, and depending on sleeping bag material the sharp edges can damage the bag material. Chemical hand warmers are ok, but they need to be held against the skin to be effective, and will only keep that specific area warm. A hand warmer will do little to nothing to pre heat your bag as they produce very little ambient heat. Sleeping bag liners work ok, but they are more expensive than a Nalgene bottle, and they do not produce heat, but only help in retain heat generated by your body.

After many uncomfortable nights, usually from cold feet climbing into a cold sleeping bag, while hunting in Montana in late November I learned about the hot water bottle and it was a total game changer. There's just nothing else that's as effective, cheap, and safe. It will bring your bag's temp. rating to well below its stated lower range.

Last, if you will be sleeping on a cold surface, you must insulate yourself from that surface. You will lose more heat to the ground than you will to the air, as the insulation in your bag is compressed by body weight, therefore losing its ability to maintain loft and heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom