Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only upside to this is you are always ready to get out there.....
I leave everything in my 80 series, cuz you never know when a mallcrawl event or cars and coffee might break out.

Actually I technically commute in my 80, but only every couple of weeks. Because the rest of the time I am in my 18 wheeler. But everything stays in it incase when I get back from a long trip I want to just grab groceries go on a run. It happens quite a bit that way.

To OP.
Overlanding is to camping, like the Polar Vortex is to winter. Someone has to think up
a marketing name to justify their existence.
"Overlanding" is precisely like "gravel" bikes.

(Don't make me explain that)

I get it,
If you ever get to Eastern Canada, get on graveltravel.ca Great site!
When we did our trip around the Gaspe peninsula in 2018 I drove some of the graveltravel tracks. Mind-numbingly boring after the first 15 minutes. At least where we were.
But then again I don't have a roof top tent or maxtracks or shovels or axes or extra fuel or a snorkel.

When we did our trip around the Gaspe peninsula in 2018 I drove some of the graveltravel tracks. Mind-numbingly boring after the first 15 minutes. At least where we were.
But then again I don't have a roof top tent or maxtracks or shovels or axes or extra fuel or a snorkel.
Whoa, you were on a gravel road without a snorkel. Pretty sure that's just asking for trouble, at least that's what the youtubes said.

Whoa, you were on a gravel road without a snorkel. Pretty sure that's just asking for trouble, at least that's what the youtubes said.
I do tend to live on the edge.

Yeah a snorkel is all you need to ford the deepest rivers....oh and that ARB diff breather kit, that's it you're good. No rivers around? No problem just tell people it helps your truck not suck up dust.

Also you need to run your 10,000,000 lumen light bar in broad daylight for trail safety not Instagram shots.

and yes I know I am a hypocrite who mounted his rear tire on a swing out because it wouldn't fit in the stock location....at least that's what I told my wife.

On a longterm worldtrip some preparations seems to make sense - but the preparation will also kill a part of the adventure.

My next plan is to do the transsibiria what I will call overlanding like all these trips before.

For this 50km Part out of a 30`000km Trip are our car prepared for. Guess in stock configuration I would have add the same amount of adrenaline on the way to go there, than driving this part with a prepared vehicle.

But yes - it is crazy that many prepared rigs will never see the terrain for which they were built for...

At the end it alway have an price for going the adventure path during your journey.. During an trip over 4-5 countrys and months - your car is very overloaded.. So it always will lead to expensive repairs - if you really use the car. So consider that if you are starting to prepare your rig...

Last edited:
On a longterm worldtrip some preparations seems to make sense - but the preparation will also kill a part of the adventure.

My next plan is to do the transsibiria what I will call overlanding like all these trips before.

For this 50km Part out of a 30`000km Trip are our car prepared for. Guess in stock configuration I would have add the same amount of adrenaline on the way to go there, than driving this part with a prepared vehicle.

But yes - it is crazy that many prepared rigs will never see the terrain for which they were built for...

At the end it alway have an price for going the adventure path during your journey.. During an trip over 4-5 countrys and months - your car is very overloaded.. So it always will lead to expensive repairs - if you really use the car. So consider that if you are starting to prepare your rig...

This sound like actual "overlanding" the issue is in the US 90% of the time it means going down some dirt roads to a camp site a subuaru could get to. I'm definitely guilty of it, I don't call what I do overlanding though

I originally bought the LX to camp out of, but it's slowly becoming more of a wheeling vehicle. I don't really want to put a RTT on at this point and I'd rather spend the money on maintenance and a front locker (although my current "wheeling" doesn't really justify the front being locked) My truck is slowly becoming more of a , "let's take a road trip to somewhere I can wheel and maybe camp while we are there" , type thing.

It's just seems so hard to find somewhere in the south east US where you can truly combine a back country camping trip with decent wheeling. The GA Traverse was a good time, but that ain't wheeling. I wish I lived out west you guys got it made.

If overlanding has all the latest bling, what is it called when you purposefully seek out old beat up used equipment that is as old or older than the occupants of the “base camp”? I have reverted back to canvas waxed tents and white gas because it reminds me of our camping trips of my youth. After reading this, I may never bolt anything to the outside of my rig again. Not really but....

After reading this, I may never bolt anything to the outside of my rig again. Not really but....

Haha, its fun to joke people and it is a hell of a lot more convenient to hang it on the outside than stashing it inside somewhere. Driving everywhere in town outfitted like you are about to drive through the Sahara is a bit ridiculous though (especially where I am in FL) Or the parking lot meets where people dress their rig up and show off all that BS. It's not my style, more power to you if it is.

I want an "overland" meet for people like me. We can call if Truck Camp Expo and everyone can show off their self built items that are just as good as the overpriced overland stuff. s***boxes welcome. Instead of paying for someone to teach you to drive over some pre-made dirt hills or use a winch you can learn to weld with batteries and 6010, fix a busted axle, what to do if your diff explodes. How to keep beer cold. Noone trying to sell you a $20k camp trailer or $4k RTT

I have gone to two Expo East events. It is really cool to walk through the chute and look at all the stuff I can’t afford. The real opportunity is definitely in the parking/camping area. There I get all my crazy ideas validated by other knuckleheads who have implemented a fully functional trailer made out of reclaimed wood or a shower that cost about six bucks and a dumpster dive. Baby wipes usually can see me through all the stupid stuff I try while car camping but a warm water compressed sprayer really gets in all the nooks and crannies.

I have gone to two Expo East events. It is really cool to walk through the chute and look at all the stuff I can’t afford. The real opportunity is definitely in the parking/camping area. There I get all my crazy ideas validated by other knuckleheads who have implemented a fully functional trailer made out of reclaimed wood or a shower that cost about six bucks and a dumpster dive. Baby wipes usually can see me through all the stupid stuff I try while car camping but a warm water compressed sprayer really gets in all the nooks and crannies.

I'm the minority that doesn't like to spend the day looking at stuff I could never buy. I'm more of a realist (or an a****** according to my wife)

And for baby wipes you have to use the "shower in a bag" wipes or whatever they are called or you aren't overland

Next you are going to tell me that pooping in a bag lined 5 gallon bucket isn’t correct. Dang, you broverlanders are harsh! Ha!

I have been told by my wife that I ”act like an a******” but I am in fact not an a******.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom