Events/Trails Overland trip: Arizona BDR 3/28/19 - 3/31/19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I probably won't be the last one to drop out, just wait and see.

AZ has never been my cup of tea and I would never have reason to go down there beyond the suggestions of others. I prefer mountains to deserts. Also, I've got limited vacation time and want to take several longer trips with my wife and daughters... family goes on the calendar first.

I prefer mountains to deserts.

I get that. I'm a desert boy and prefer wide open views to lawns of trees. Keep in mind that it's only desert from the border to Phoenix. From there it climbs the Mogollon Rim. Camp off the AZBDR last December near Payson.

20181226_165338-sm.jpg

I would put the wide open views that I've seen on multitudes of mountaintops and high ridges up against those found in the desert any day. Deserts do have a unique beauty, and Death Valley is on my list, but AZ is for the (snow) birds. I have spent time in the Sierra Anchas, and on various parts of the rim so I know what you're talking about regarding the section north of Phoenix.

Please know I'm not trying to be a downer in any way... there's no doubt, this will be fun trip and if I had the vacation time I used to have I would take it and join you all. The main reason I had to bow out is the last one I mentioned... time with my family comes first and my vacation time is limited.

Last edited:
still meetingup at the Desert Princess Inn the morning of the 28th? I’ll be staying in Sierra Vista the night before with my crew. Hoping to have a mounted dual band in the truck by the time I leave, but have a set of Baofeng’s and a magmount if that doesn’t happen.
Meet time @ ? AM?

still meetingup at the Desert Princess Inn the morning of the 28th? I’ll be staying in Sierra Vista the night before with my crew. Hoping to have a mounted dual band in the truck by the time I leave, but have a set of Baofeng’s and a magmount if that doesn’t happen.
Meet time @ ? AM?

Meeting info on post #53
copy/paste here

Meeting place:

I was trying to come up with a place that is not stupid far from ABQ as most of us are departing after work, or after working a short day.

The place I'm thinking about at this time is this: Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!. This place is less than five hours away and should be doable at the days get longer. the link above has all the info we need but if you have any questions, please ask.

This place is less than two hours away from the beginning of AZBDR trail system. Everyone can roll into camp wed night whenever they want. I'm sure there'll be a campfire going! I may have everyone's cell phone # already and will text everyone with more details on that day with last min stuff.

Comm:

Just a quick reminder, we'll be using HAM radios on this trip so please have one in your vehicle. Baefong hand held units are a favorite radio of this club and can be purchased on Amazon for less than $40. As with any hand held mobile radios, you're only limited by the stubby antenna, NOT the power output of your radio. So, if you want to hear the group more clearly and/or transmit from the back of the group to the front of the group, I suggest getting a magnetic mount antenna for your radio.

If we need to start a new thread on radios and such, let's do that instead of cluttering up this thread. @lurch @Chompers are the resident Baefong external antenna or better antenna experts!

I'll monitor our HDC frequency which is 146.400 and also the Megalink using the HAM radio. The link above mentions couple of neat camping spots that we should grab and guide others in if they're off the beaten path.

I'm open to suggestions for a meetup location as always.

Hey folks. I'm new to this forum, but I am joining you on this adventure. I'm Chris, a buddy of Alia176 from the real world. I live out in the middle of nowhere, Gallup, NM. Ali and I have gone on a few adventures together around NM; El Malpais, the Gila, and Cabezon to name a few places... I'm really looking forward to this trip! I have been all over NM but rarely venture into AZ for off-roading.

Although I own and love a 4Runner, on this trip I am taking my Ford Raptor. My 'Yota just isn't built up for multi-day excursions yet... I will try my best to keep up on the trail, despite my Ford-related handicap.

Hey folks. I'm new to this forum, but I am joining you on this adventure. I'm Chris, a buddy of Alia176 from the real world. I live out in the middle of nowhere, Gallup, NM. Ali and I have gone on a few adventures together around NM; El Malpais, the Gila, and Cabezon to name a few places... I'm really looking forward to this trip! I have been all over NM but rarely venture into AZ for off-roading.

Although I own and love a 4Runner, on this trip I am taking my Ford Raptor. My 'Yota just isn't built up for multi-day excursions yet... I will try my best to keep up on the trail, despite my Ford-related handicap.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tesla the Golden Retriever, oh and you too :flipoff2:

"Mercy sakes alive, looks like we've got us a convoy"

Cause we got a great big convoy
Rockin' through the night
Yeah, we got a great big convoy
Ain't she a beautiful sight
C'mon and join our Convoy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way
We gonna roll this truckin' convoy
'Cross the USA

@alia176 , I just want to make sure we are gathering Wednesday evening outside Lordsburg.

@alia176 , I just want to make sure we are gathering Wednesday evening outside Lordsburg.

We're gathering at the Granite Gap BLM campground in post #53 wed night.

I probably won't be able to make it. I still need to finish welding my tire carrier and painting my bumpers. Probably won't happen this weekend. It is tempting to just finish the welding and commit to grinding down the rust later...

I probably won't be able to make it. I still need to finish welding my tire carrier and painting my bumpers. Probably won't happen this weekend. It is tempting to just finish the welding and commit to grinding down the rust later...

Meh, you should come and pretty it up later. Things don't rust here as quickly!

You just made my weekend very busy, ya know that. Lol.

I'm here for you brotha! You can always spray some WD-40 or Pam cooking oil on the bumper for corrosion but I wouldn't worry about it. My bumpers have several places where the paint or powdercoating got rubbed off and I'm like :meh:

Hope you all have a good time. We want picture s and some good stories, even if they aren't true. CONVOY CRUISERS , ROLL on down the ROAD!!!!

I am in the middle of replacing bushings on my 80's suspension, trailing arms and panhards, front and back. So, can't make this adventure. Planning on lots of wheeling soon.

Have Fun.

Would love to go but just can’t get it together for this trip. I hope you all have a great time and I’m looking forward to other opportunities to join the convoy!

Bushing fun! Just did that job last year. Took me six months to finish front and back, but it’s done! If I’ve got to do that job again within the next 20 years, I’m paying somebody. Even with the Witts End bushing dies.
I’m not terribly thrilled with working under the rig in my driveway. It usually requires a two day plus recovery time anymore.
Making stuff is still fun though!

Bushing fun! Just did that job last year. Took me six months to finish front and back, but it’s done! If I’ve got to do that job again within the next 20 years, I’m paying somebody. Even with the Witts End bushing dies.
I’m not terribly thrilled with working under the rig in my driveway. It usually requires a two day plus recovery time anymore.
Making stuff is still fun though!

Oh man, I HATE doing bushing work. My rig is from NM and yet one of the front LCA's bushings along with the caamber/toe hardware were seized. Installing the Moogs took some medieval creativity with all kinds of tools! A two post hoist has been in my dream list for years now. I'm too old for creeper work it seems and get bitchier my the min it seems. For the rear, I cheated and found a rig with half as many miles as mine and bought his upper & lower arms then swapped them in :D At that time I was at 300,xxx miles with the original bushings still!

330k when I replaced mine. Hope to get another 300k outta this set. Nothing like maintaining an older rig. Bought all the OEM nuts, bolts, washers, and bushes from Beno. I couldn’t pay for that and labor, so the helping hand was at the end of my arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom