Overheating... SBC 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I broke the gauge I had to replace it, turns out I should have punched that stupid thing first because it was just not reading correctly.

That's why I always start by punching and throwing crap.

Update... a good one

This weekend I started out hell bend to pull the motor and figure out why the stupid thing was not working.

Just as I got into we (my brother, friend eddie, and I ) decided to check a few things.

1. That the water pump was flowing correctly.
2. That the thermostat was opening and letting water move and finally
3. That there was no complete blockage in the cooling system from out of the motor.

We tested all those things and found that the cruiser past every one of these tests with flying colors.

We also noticed that if we keep the radiator cool the engine would stay cool. So we decided to do one more test..

Basically the idea was to take a factory 350 radiator and place it in front of the front bumper all hooked up and ensure that the radiator woudl not cool the engine. If this test failed we knew there was nothing left to do but, pull the motor and figure what the problem was.

So we did.

WP_000107.jpg

WP_000105.jpg

WP_000106.jpg

WP_000108.jpg

We took this rig out for a 5-10 mile drive on the local interstate (485) at about 60-70.

The engine literally never went above 200. (And thats with a 195 thermostat)

So it looks like I have a radiator or air flow problem.

At least I did not pull the engine.

More to come.

That's good news. Looks like you got it figured out. Good looking 40. Sweet radiator setup, not bad for a test. Maby your'e on to something-dual radiators.:hmm:

I'm waiting for pics of you driving around like that to show up in a redneck engineering email. Good way to get to the bottom of things though:beer:.

Last night I moved the aluminum radiator that I had been using from the beginning to the front of the bumper like the dummie 350 radiator in the pictures above. The radiator with the shroud fan and condenser on it stayed at just around 203 degrees. I gave it a very similiar run on the highway where we woudl have expected it to over heat. So I think the moral of the story here is really pretty simple.

There is a airflow problem with bumper, winch, and other obstacles in the way of the radiator.

I hve tons of ideas to fix the issue and of them involve reversing some of the changes I have made so. far. Many because the issues I fixed where not issues and they lead to a less desirable environment.

1. I am going to go to a cross flow radiator. The greater surface area an less depth cools better
2. Remove any obstacle that really hurts airflow. The jury is still out on what all that is but, it looks like bumper, winch and condener top the list.
3. Likely move to a mechanical fan. Truth is I don't want to do this. I may even try to get out of it later. But, its is easier in my case to run a mechanical fan verses electric when you consider wiring and other factors.... Plus.. they are more less expensive.

As a side note. I wanted to point out that last night while I was stopped to execute a change to the shroud on the side of the road.. a hose blew at about 215 degrees. Water hit me in the arm and face and belly. I got pretty scalded but, most of the burns were 1st degree with a few second degrees mixed in. Yes... I had to go get checked out.

Guys be careful with these type of scenarios and hot radiators. It could have been much worse. I was lucky. Don't take chances with this stuff.

Ouch!

Though I don't seem to be having any cooling problems, I too have been wondering how much of an impact to the air flow through the radiator, the winch sitting in front of it is having.

That is troubling but, it is something up there. Well start with the winch

Sorry to hear about your burns. I hope you heal fast.
No doubt the winch and the brush bar is blocking air flow or at least causing an edy or negative air pressure area in front of the radiator. I also noticed that your current electric fan set up is mounted flat against the radiator. The 4 corners of the radiator are cooled by air that is dependent on the speed of the cruiser. I suspect that you are not taking full advantage of the radiators cooling surface. A box type shroud with the fan mounted onto that would draw air across the entire radiator. On closer inspection of the pictures maby you do have a box shroud?
For the record, I am a proponent of clutch operated mechanical fans. Electric fans can be made to work, but......

I'm with ^^^, I ran the gamut of electrics and ended up with a large 7 blade fixed fan on a clutch, full shroud and no overheat anything anymore.

Given the reduced cooling you can get with slow speed, mud in the radiator, oil/tranny/PS coolers, etc, building as large as a safety factor as possible is a good thing when it comes to cooling. Time will tell when I try to put a condensor in front of mine for the eventual AC.

most everyone has a wench and bumper and a grill and trans cooler and they dont have problems.. i think you will find that not to be the problem. i hope you figure it out

Cirbo said:
Jack,

Here are shots of the 45 configuration. Hope it helps.

Jim
]

Your work is always so scary good.

I was in Fort Mill yesterday at Novant and started to come by.

I purchased the same radiator and plan to do the same config as you have here.

Now.. Just gotta find a shroud design and guy to make me a bumper
:)

You give me that SQL brain dump and I'll design you a shroud and build you a bumper.

jC:p

Ok... More pics to come but, I felt I owed and update.

I changed my radiator to a crossflow from Man-a-free and also changed to a 19 inch mechanical fan.

So far the engine has not gone above 195 (thermostat temp) when driving around town or above 205 going 80 MPH on the interstate.

I think this is a sucessful turn of events. I am currently not using a shroud and I think that I could see added benefit by using one... but, right now... I don't plan to do anything..

Pics to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom