Overcharging after water crossing - need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Issue - battery overcharging after water crossing. Water was deep, however did not go over hood. The charging finally went back to normal after about 10 miles. Drove all the way home with no issues. Now, truck will not start. Just clicks once when turning over. All lights and audio work fine. Any thoughts?

Battery is barely showing 12v. Coincidentally, might be a dead battery? Did the over charge cause an issue on the battery? It's a Diehard 31 grp agm. About 2 years old.

Did you measure bolts at the battery when it was running? Probably a failed alternator. When they get old, a little extra water or debris can accelerate the failure.

I did not. Didn't know there was an issue until we tried to start this morning. The alternator is new. About 6 months old. We did kill the battery about 3 months ago when the kiddos were playing with the LED lights and left them on.:banghead:

Sounds like it may be the starter solenoid. Any way to test that? No codes on the odb2

Is this the throttle positioning sensor? Makes a constant huming noise when you try to start. The starter makes one click then nothing.

Sounds like it may be the starter solenoid. Any way to test that? No codes on the odb2

If it's a single click and no start (with known good battery), starter could have an issue but likely not related to to high water as it's pretty high on the engine.

I'd check the battery voltage, grounds, inspect alternator wiring to verify it has adequate cranking power and go from there.

Okay. Load test came back good on battery. Going to test the starter relay next.

Okay. Load test came back good on battery. Going to test the starter relay next.

Often, if it's a starter that's just beginning to fail you can bump the key several times until it hits a good spot and it will crank.

What’s the source voltage at the battery? Anything below 12 means you either need to get a jump/recharge her or it’s shot. Did you check what is at the alternator or starter?

Starter relay good. Ran snaptool diagnostics and it shows power to the starter is fine. I watch a vid where the contact points went out. Sounds like that is what I'm dealing with.

What’s the source voltage at the battery? Anything below 12 means you either need to get a jump/recharge her or it’s shot. Did you check what is at the alternator or starter?

battery was 12.6 and 12.3 when trying to start.

So, definitely seems like starter. Going to get it replaced. Coincidentally, I think the over charging issue stems from the regulator. The wiring schematic shows it connects to the DRL lights with I recently put a relay in to run LED lights. Not sure if this is the issue, but seems to make sense.

Have you tried starting it in neutral instead of park? If it starts in neutral with no issues it could be your neutral safety switch which sits on the side of the transmission housing. It's waterproof but it can get corroded and who knows what a water crossing could do to a stressed unit.

GENIUS!!!!!! Love this forum! You just saved me hundreds of dollars. It started right up in nuetral.

Edit: spoke too soon. Won't start in nuetral either now. Is there a way to bypass the safety switch to test it?

Last edited:
Would techstream reveal anything?

Okay. Ran techstream, and everything seems to work as it is supposed to. The starter gets power. The relay gets power. The only thing that is tripping me up is that it has started twice in the nuetral position. But after multiple tries no more luck. I'm thinking again now that it is the contacts on the starter. Thoughts? Any other test I can do?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom