Out of the Blue: 1987 Regular Cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like it! What are your plans for it? Looks like it has A/C. If it's a 87 it's got a 22RE? Anyway good score for just $300.

I have heard of carb trucks after 85 but thought it was mainly 2wd. Oh well. How bad is the rust?

Only the 4Runners went totally EFI in 1985. The pickups went either way for several years. I might be able to look it up when I get home.

'87 was the last year for carb'd in 4WD. But, I believe you can find carb'd trucks in 2WD all the way up to '95.

'87 was the last year for carb'd in 4WD. But, I believe you can find carb'd trucks in 2WD all the way up to '95.
According to what I have the 22R was used up until 8/88 in 4WD, and up until 8/90 in 2WD.

I defer to you as the official mini-truck archivist and curator. :)

I defer to you as the official mini-truck archivist and curator. :)
Very funny. The source is the Toyota Fast Moving Parts Catalog 1970-2000.

Dude. I love your little sister.

For $300 it's a steal, running or not.

pics of sister required....

Never seen a hood sticker like that one.

Nice score.

Pappy, no offence intended.

Never seen a hood sticker like that one.

Nice score.

Pappy, no offence intended.
Good gawd man. You would have to work harder to offend me.

'Those' are not sister pics!

That's a nice find! The interior looks immaculate. Carburetors were standard in that gen mini truck for base and Deluxe models. SR5-level trim and automatic transmission equipped trucks were EFI no A/TM was offered in the standard-cab short bed though).

Looks like you failed the high speed test on both HC and CO. The carburetor could benefit from a thorough cleaning, or even an overhaul. How's the float level? At this point it's tough to tell, without further diagnosis, but the high HC could be a byproduct of the high CO (overly rich) or weak ignition/misfire. Once you get the fuel side sorted I'd likely look into new spark plugs (minimum) and would also consider a new cap, rotor and ignition (plug) wires. What does the air filter look like? How does it run at speed? Is there any miss or hesitation? Based on those CO numbers you should really work on getting those to fall in closer to the standard. That alone might also bring the HC numbers down as well.

Good luck and post your findings here...with a little effort, you can get it to pass the emissions inspection. I cut my teeth on R-motors as a young Toyota tech in the 80's and 90's and once you know where to look, they are really easy to diagnose and repair...and fun to work on! Now I think I need to find myself a late 80's short bed 4x4!

Last edited:
Geez the steering failed inspection. Whatever. But as long as those mud flaps pass though. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom