Ouray camping/wheeling trip July 24 - 28th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
It's time to head up to Ouray again folks. As of now, the plan is to base camp out of 4J+j+1 CG starting on the night of July 24th and checking out on July 28th. I think I reserved site #8 hill side. All hillside tent spots have no electric, only water. Their phone # (970) 325-4418

Copy/paste from my other Ouray camp thread from last year:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be towing the Kamparoo on this trip as in previous years. Campground owner's name is Jill and she's very nice on the phone. They don't have a website so you'll need to call and reserve sites. We'll be paying $24/night with no hookups or water. Pets are allowed at this CG so we'll be bringing Riley with us.

This CG is walking distance from downtown Ouray and has the usual amenities. The Ouray swimming pool that's fed by the hot springs is also nearby. In the past, we'd let the kids swim after returning from a trail run.

We'll be making day runs on various trails is my guess. We'll check out the town of Silverton as well. Chances are that it may rain up there so bring appropriate camping and clothing gear.

In the past, we usually ate lunch on the trail and made it back to the camp site for dinner. The location of this CG makes it easier to eat out or cook in.

There are lots of Hotels, Motels and B&Bs in Ouray. There is also a FS campground less than five miles away. Ouray Colorado :: Amphitheater Campground.

The temps should be decent in the day time and colder at night time. If we're on a trail and the clouds move in, we'll probably turn around and head back out. I don't want to be on the trails at high elevations while visibility slowly diminishes. Lots of accidents happened this way in the past.

Post up if you're interested in joining us. The wheeling up there is not severe so a stocker will do just fine. Really, all you need is a low range for some of the super steep hills.

If we can depart ABQ early enough, we'll try to grab lunch at the Serious Texax Bar-B-Q in Durango. Link Serious Texas Bar-B-Q

:cheers:

Last edited:
Oh great. I cancelled my reservations for the FJ Cruiser rally because the Germany work trip was at the same time. I tell myself it's ok because I'll just go with the club another later. Then the work trip gets pushed back a week and that's the weekend you pick to go.

Thanks for posting this Ali. I am planning to attend again this year.

checking the calendar...

btw missing digit on 4J telephone number...

Last edited:
Got it off! Need to make res at the camp ground, first thing next month.... i mean paycheck ;)

Hoping I can get Justin to go on his KLR, perfect trip for him to get in the dirt and have a support team!

Just a reminder to those of you with pull throughs (Terrill & Evan), this CG is pretty sweet for that.

Also, a DuraMax or a Tundra would be good for the wheeling we do up there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to those of you with pull throughs (Terrill & Evan), this CG is pretty sweet for that.

I would love to go! However, we've got a schedule conflict during that time. Maybe next year!

Baby #5 is due July 31. I'll ask my wife to pop it out a bit early to make the trip.

Perhaps, have her pop it out later - after you return from this trip? :)

I'm working that angle. Is there enough area in a campsite for a Dmax, 5th wheel, 40 and the trailer it road in on?

I'm working that angle. Is there enough area in a campsite for a Dmax, 5th wheel, 40 and the trailer it road in on?

Oh yeah, there's enough room. I've seen some nice diesel pushers with trailers in that place. I think there's a separate area where folks tend to store their trailer. Bionic did that last year so he'd have more info on that.

Oh man, you're gonna love this trip - wheel half day, soak in the hot springs for an hour or two, and then stumble into the bar/restaurant and then crawl home....rinse and repeat...:D

But just in case, call up Jill just to make sure your 5th wheel length is cool with them.

They had me put my trailer right next to the big 5th wheels. they have a couple spots to put them, no problem.

Looks like we have 4 full hookup spots reserved. Myself, Bruce and Ray are for sure. Chris or Eddie are maybes at this point

That's great! Chris told me he is planning on 25th-28th but I haven't heard the latest.

i have a spot next to the ali's, there goes the neighborhood :p

I will be envious of you guys enjoying Ouray without me but at least I'll get to enjoy the large selection of good beer in Belgium, Netherlands and Germany which I will be sampling on my trip. I may even get to fly in a C-17 from Ramstein to Aviano AB on one of the training missions we'll be observing.

Sounds like a good time Marc. Hope you trip doesn't get postponed again!

I will be envious of you guys enjoying Ouray without me but at least I'll get to enjoy the large selection of good beer in Belgium, Netherlands and Germany which I will be sampling on my trip. I may even get to fly in a C-17 from Ramstein to Aviano AB on one of the training missions we'll be observing.

yep, enjoy! rest assured we will wheel and sample beers under the trees as well ;) :beer:

Got my reservation in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom