Builds Oso the Land Cruiser (@twundy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, just wanted to post an intro thread (maybe this will turn into a build thread?). Here's Oso, the Land Cruiser that I am blessed to now call mine.

Will soon be getting some mods on the way. This has been a dream car of mine for pretty much my whole life, my family had a FZJ80 up until about a decade ago, and I've been a Land Cruiser fanboy for years. In the meantime, would love to hear about the Land Cruiser community and local shops I should look into in the Dallas, Texas area, and any cool things new LC owners should get into.

Future mod questions:
-17x9+25 on 285/70R17 or 17x8.5+0 on 265/70R17? Probably no lift for a while, so I want it to fit well, maybe with just some mud flap removal.
-GOBI Roof Rack - is it noisy? If so, would a shop be able to set it up in a way to not have whistling/whooshing?
-How loud is it going to be versus stock after A/T tires and a GOBI rack?
-OEM All Weather, OEM Carpet mats, Weathertech, or Husky floor liners? Would like to replace the worn OEM all weathers on it.

Excited to be a part of this community!

Great looking LC. Good vehicle to dream about! I use the Weathertech, but others like the Husky. There's a long thread about it somewhere on here. What type of use will it get? And welcome to the fun ;)

Great looking LC. Good vehicle to dream about! I use the Weathertech, but others like the Husky. There's a long thread about it somewhere on here. What type of use will it get? And welcome to the fun ;)
Thanks for the kind words. Just normal daily driver use, not going to hit any trails until I have a lift and some UCAs. Average shoe dirt. The Texas heat is a concern if the rubber is going to warp. I personally like what the Weathertech offers the best, but I am concerned about warping/wear, and how the lip by the door is - I have heard it can stick up and get in the way.

Future mod questions:
-17x9+25 on 285/70R17 or 17x8.5+0 on 265/70R17? Probably no lift for a while, so I want it to fit well, maybe with just some mud flap removal.

FYI: Toyota recommends the TRD 17 x 8 x 50mm wheel with LT285/70R17 . This combination results in no rubbing under any conditions on a stock truck. Here's the Toyota data sheet on that combo: TRD Alloy Wheel Data Sheet Wheels with +25mm offset will most probably rub, +0 offset will definitely rub.

I've been running that combination on my stock 2013LC for more than six years now - no problems. Just one note - the recommended tire pressure in the doc is 46psi, but it should read 40psi.

HTH

FYI: Toyota recommends the TRD 17 x 8 x 50mm wheel with LT285/70R17 . This combination results in no rubbing under any conditions on a stock truck. Here's the Toyota data sheet on that combo: TRD Alloy Wheel Data Sheet Wheels with +25mm offset will most probably rub, +0 offset will definitely rub.

I've been running that combination on my stock 2013LC for more than six years now - no problems. Just one note - the recommended tire pressure in the doc is 46psi, but it should read 40psi.

HTH
Gotcha. Yeah I hear the Rock Warriors are the safest route, but I'm willing to risk a little bit of mud flap or perhaps fender liner modification to fit some wheels I like better and have a bit more aggressive look. Luckily, they will mostly see only on-road use, so hopefully the fenders won't get too chewed up. I appreciate you looking out!

Special thanks to Kreiten, Wesel123, and Dustin at FN Wheels for their fitment advice, it has helped me narrow down my wheel and tire choices to the two specs I listed. Just wondering if anyone else can chime in who runs aggressive setups on stock suspension.

Congrats on the LC! In regards to the mats I can tell you that the answer is always Husky.

Gotcha. Yeah I hear the Rock Warriors are the safest route, but I'm willing to risk a little bit of mud flap or perhaps fender liner modification to fit some wheels I like better and have a bit more aggressive look. Luckily, they will mostly see only on-road use, so hopefully the fenders won't get too chewed up. I appreciate you looking out!

Special thanks to Kreiten, Wesel123, and Dustin at FN Wheels for their fitment advice, it has helped me narrow down my wheel and tire choices to the two specs I listed. Just wondering if anyone else can chime in who runs aggressive setups on stock suspension.

Sounds like you're all set! Keep us posted.

HTH

What @gaijin said.
Toyota is specifically referring to this wheel/tire combo shown below (“Rock Warrior” wheels from US Tundra for us, at 17x8x50...and 285/70/17 KO2s). The combo looks/fits/performs great with no further mods.

Here are photos of each (stock wheels/tires in 2nd pic are factory 18”) on my 2008 truck. This was the very first significant change I made (besides removing the side steps)...

Last edited:
I'd also recommend one of the Weathertech laser fit windshield Sunshades if you park outside at all during the day. We live in Texas as well and I know how brutal that June-August sun can be on the interior of vehicle even if only parked outside for a half and hour during the day.

Congrats on the LC! In regards to the mats I can tell you that the answer is always Husky.
Thanks! Do you have a reason, comparing both Husky and Weathertech?
What @gaijin said.
Toyota is specifically referring to this wheel/tire combo shown below (“Rock Warrior” wheels from US Tundra for us, at 17x8x50...and 285/70/17 KO2s). The combo looks/fits/performs great with no further mods.

Here are photos of each (stock wheels/tires in 2nd pic are factory 18”) on my 2008 truck. This was the very first significant change I made (besides removing the side steps)...

View attachment 1905729
Looks really good, thanks for the tip. Love the switch to 17’s and 285/70s. Dustin at FN says he test fit the 17x9+25 with the 285/70, with no rubbing issues, except with mud terrain tires rubbing slightly on the mud flaps. I feel that a wheel with a little lower offset fills out the wheel wells nicely, and if it test fits okay, I’m fine with the minor risk.

But in regards to gaijin and your warnings, I’ve taken out the 17x8.5+0 wheel from consideration now, that’s just too risky and it’s not worth running a tire 1” smaller diameter and width wise just to run those poke wheels.

Thanks! Do you have a reason, comparing both Husky and Weathertech?

Yes! I have run both extensively over the years in many different vehicles. The major drawbacks to the Weathertech's are that they will undoubtedly fade and warp over time and I mean in under two years. To me that's unacceptable, their durability factor should be much higher considering what is they are designed to do. I have also found the Weathertech's to be slippery when wet. Now all plastic mats can suffer from this to some degree, it's inherently part of the coefficient of friction between water and a polymer, but it's more so an issue with the Weathertech mats than it is with the Husky mats. I have busted my a$$ more than a time or two stepping up into a truck with Weathertech mats with wet feet, that has never happened with any of the Husky mats that I have run.

In regards to the Husky mats, I prefer the X-Act fit mats when they are available for your particular vehicle, but their WeatherBeater mats are every bit the mat that the Weathertech's are. I hope this helps.

Weathertechs warp? That’s the first time I’ve heard that. I’ve had mine for 9 years and they are fine, a tad faded and zero warping.

Weathertechs warp? That’s the first time I’ve heard that. I’ve had mine for 9 years and they are fine, a tad faded and zero warping.

Consider yourself unusually lucky then haha. Yes, this is a well known issue. Google "weathertech warp" or "weathertech mats curl" and look at the numerous pages of forum threads, pictures, and you tube videos ranting about this very common issue.

Consider yourself unusually lucky then haha. Yes, this is a well known issue. Google "weathertech warp" or "weathertech mats curl" and look at the numerous pages of forum threads, pictures, and you tube videos ranting about this very common issue.

There was a time where my seemed a bit bent...likely from stuff getting cramped next to/around it.
But I recovered it's shape completely by simply leaving it out in the warm sun after hosing it off.
The warmth makes it more pliable and (at least in my case), it's shape was right as rain again.

There was a time where my seemed a bit bent...likely from stuff getting cramped next to/around it.
But I recovered it's shape completely by simply leaving it out in the warm sun after hosing it off.
The warmth makes it more pliable and (at least in my case), it's shape was right as rain again.

I don't have time to leave my mats out in the sun for an afternoon every time they curl or bend. I simply expect these rubber mats to do the job they were built for and stay out of sight and out of mind. The Husky mats do that without skipping a beat, no single set of Weathertech's I have ever owned have done the same.

I don't have time to leave my mats out in the sun for an afternoon every time they curl or bend. I simply expect these rubber mats to do the job they were built for and stay out of sight and out of mind. The Husky mats do that without skipping a beat, no single set of Weathertech's I have ever owned have done the same.

To clarify…
They don’t curl or bend.
4 years… Zero warping on their own.

Mine have only ever bent once and it was because I poorly packed something that jammed against a corner for 4 days during a hot weather trip. So it got a little tweaked.

That’s it.

Few minutes of warm sun after I was hosing off mud anyway...and boom. Back as though nothing happened.

In my experience, reports of weird warping are news to me and my size 14 boots that abuse my mats regularly have had no warping impact on them.

Last edited:
I have also found the Weathertech's to be slippery when wet.

I 2nd this. It’s real. So I decided to just stick with the OEM rubber mats for this vehicle. Plus the weather techs always seemed to have a ton of scuff marks on them from the bottom of shoes and boots. They just looked ugly after a year or two.

Future mod questions:
-GOBI Roof Rack - is it noisy? If so, would a shop be able to set it up in a way to not have whistling/whooshing?
-How loud is it going to be versus stock after A/T tires and a GOBI rack?
-OEM All Weather, OEM Carpet mats, Weathertech, or Husky floor liners? Would like to replace the worn OEM all weathers on it.

Excited to be a part of this community!

Welcome!

I have Icon Rebounds that are 17x8.5 with a 25mm offset. Currently have 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The shop that fitted the wheels and aligned the truck did push the front side of the front fender liners in a little. With that minor tweaking, I have no issues with no lift and that wheel/tire setup.

The Gobi rack comes with a fairing and there is no whistling on my truck. For the past ten years I’ve had multiple roof racks over multiple vehicles and the Gobi gives me no reason to complain. For tires, I’ve had the Nittos since last July and love them. They did great at the last LCDC and have been quiet. No droning nosies. I will say that my MPG have gone down since I’ve installed all of this. The roof rack may have hurt the MPG but I’m sure the SS Budbuilt stage 3 skid plates and sliders didn’t help. The tires are are E range/10 ply and from what I’ve seen, seem to be the biggest culprit with it comes to decreased MPG.

To clarify…
They don’t curl or bend.
4 years… Zero warping on their own.

Mine have only ever bent once and it was because I poorly packed something that jammed against a corner for 4 days during a hot weather trip. So it got a little tweaked.

That’s it.

Point was... a few minutes of warm sun after I was hosing off mud anyway...and boom. Back as though nothing happened.

In my experience, reports of weird warping are news to me and my size 14 boots that abuse my mats regularly have had no impact on them.

After four years of heavy use… I have seen no hint of malformation on their own.

Well, like I said previously, consider yourself lucky. They can in fact curl and warp, it is a very common issue. I imagine it might be more prevalent on certain models or maybe different batches of polymer used might even play a role in those that experience it and those that don't. I can second that they also scuff and scar rather easily when compared to the Husky's. At the end of the day I don't care what the next guy uses, any rubber mat is better than the factory carpeted mats, but in my experience, and that of many others will agree that Husky has the superior product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom