Builds Oso the Land Cruiser (@twundy) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And as far as the Gobi racks go, any questions or pictures, do not hesitate to ask. When I was looking into them last year, I didn’t see a whole lot information on them. Customer service/wait time leaves a lot to be desired but if you know that going into it, it softens the blow. Just don’t expect quick responses or a speedy build/delivery. Don’t be surprised if it takes every bit of four months. I do really enjoy the rack though and would buy it again.

Well, like I said previously, consider yourself lucky. They can in fact curl and warp, it is a very common issue. I imagine it might be more prevalent on certain models or maybe different batches of polymer used might even play a role in those that experience it and those that don't. I can second that they also scuff and scar rather easily when compared to the Husky's. At the end of the day I don't care what the next guy uses, any rubber mat is better than the factory carpeted mats, but in my experience, and that of many others will agree that Husky has the superior product.

Whatever works. I have no loyalty to any floor mat companies... :)

Maybe I got lucky. I just know I’m pretty hard on mine. On the other hand...if si was trying to make my floor mats look like they are ready for the prom (35 years ago, ha!), maybe I’d notice scuffs...

They have definitely saved me many times...like entire bowls of milk and cereal dumping... -Nothing worse than milk getting into carpets and going nasty.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I have Icon Rebounds that are 17x8.5 with a 25mm offset. Currently have 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The shop that fitted the wheels and aligned the truck did push the front side of the front fender liners in a little. With that minor tweaking, I have no issues with no lift and that wheel/tire setup.

The Gobi rack comes with a fairing and there is no whistling on my truck. For the past ten years I’ve had multiple roof racks over multiple vehicles and the Gobi gives me no reason to complain. For tires, I’ve had the Nittos since last July and love them. They did great at the last LCDC and have been quiet. No droning nosies. I will say that my MPG have gone down since I’ve installed all of this. The roof rack may have hurt the MPG but I’m sure the SS Budbuilt stage 3 skid plates and sliders didn’t help. The tires are are E range/10 ply and from what I’ve seen, seem to be the biggest culprit with it comes to decreased MPG.

Thank you so much, just the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm looking at General Grabber ATX in that size for the 17x9+25 so hopefully they fit well. Happy to hear the Gobis are not noisy, they are amazing racks. MPGs are (unfortunately) not a reason I got into this truck haha, win some you lose some I guess.

And as far as the Gobi racks go, any questions or pictures, do not hesitate to ask. When I was looking into them last year, I didn’t see a whole lot information on them. Customer service/wait time leaves a lot to be desired but if you know that going into it, it softens the blow. Just don’t expect quick responses or a speedy build/delivery. Don’t be surprised if it takes every bit of four months. I do really enjoy the rack though and would buy it again.

Wow had no idea about the 4 month build and delivery time. I'd better order it soon then I guess. Feel free to post pictures of your rack, I've only seen a handful on this forum. Also, how's the road/wind/driving noise levels with the Gobi Rack and the Ridge Grapplers versus stock?

Thanks everybody for your feedback on the floor mats/liners. I was hoping the Weathertechs had more supporters, the brand name had me hopeful - I only heard about Husky liners just this past week after looking into mats and seeing fans of it.

Does anyone have pictures of either Weathertech or Husky mats/liners fitted in their LC200? The only pictures I can find online are the manufacturer images. I'm curious about the fit along the sides and near the door edge, as well as how far it goes up the dead pedal and sides and how it looks in the rear seats/cargo area. This could also be a good opportunity for the respective owners to compare their wear and tear and durability of the mats regarding warping and scuffs.

Last edited:
At some point there was a thread discussing Weathertech and Husky floor mats. I have had Weathertechs in my 4th gen 4Runner for close to a decade. I’ve been running Weathertechs in my 200 Series for about two years. No qualms with them in either rig — no disfigurement and I haven’t found them to be extraordinarily slippery as has been mentioned. I’d buy them again. I have no experience with Husky mats so can’t speak to those.

What is the consensus on the OEM front coil spacers? Part # 43136-60020 I believe. I am very interested in the level rake and 1" lift up front, but am concerned about wear on suspension components. Will this (also combined with the 285/70R17 AT tires I'm planning on) accelerate wear on the suspension components over time? I am hoping to own the LC long term, 20 years or more, and am leery of doing anything that would make the shocks wear faster or cause any other premature suspension wear. Are there any drawbacks at all?

What is the consensus on the OEM front coil spacers? Part # 43136-60020 I believe. I am very interested in the level rake and 1" lift up front, but am concerned about wear on suspension components. Will this (also combined with the 285/70R17 AT tires I'm planning on) accelerate wear on the suspension components over time? I am hoping to own the LC long term, 20 years or more, and am leery of doing anything that would make the shocks wear faster or cause any other premature suspension wear. Are there any drawbacks at all?

Front coil spacers are usually put on for Aesthetics by folks who don’t like a forward rake (rear sitting higher than front). The spacers basically leave your coilover sorings under the same tension, but...they push your lower control arms farther downward. So...it’s basically giving away available down-travel (relative to rigs position as you encounter holes, drips, steps, etc).

Personally, I’d rather have rake than give away downtravel before I even get to a drop.

Also remember that if your truck sits level when unladen due to spacers...there’s a good chance you might end up with reverse rake when loaded with gear.

Last edited:
Front coil spacers are usually put on for Aesthetics by folks who don’t like a forward rake (rear sitting higher than front). The spacers basically leave your coilover sorings under the same tension, but...they push your lower control arms farther downward. So...it’s basically giving away available down-travel (relative to rigs position as you encounter holes, drips, steps, etc).

Personally, I’d rather have rake than give away downtravel before I even get to a drop.

Also remember that if your truck sits level when unladen due to spacers...there’s a good chance you might end up with reverse rake when loaded with gear.

Gotcha, those are some important things to consider. Would you say the OEM coil spacers add any wear on the lower control arms or anything else? Wondering if it's a cheap mod like cutting springs or adding hub spacers on cars, or something that's going to take a toll on the suspension and chassis like a cheap body lift.

Gotcha, those are some important things to consider. Would you say the OEM coil spacers add any wear on the lower control arms or anything else? Wondering if it's a cheap mod like cutting springs or adding hub spacers on cars, or something that's going to take a toll on the suspension and chassis like a cheap body lift.

Others can chime in, but that wouldn’t be a concern in my thinking. Any time you push your tires downward relative to the frame and change your CV angles at rest (via preload or spacers), you should do an alignment.

Beyond that, others hear can fill in more details.

My basic suggestion would be to load up the rear with gear, people, etc. you anticipate hauling and then have a look at forward rake again. You may find it’s just right with load.

Honestly, it’s not life or death.
I just prefer to use front preload to adjust for weight and performance and let rake be...or not be.
Bro-trucks love to have huuuge, snarling lift in front...but when they pot-holes with an IFS setup, then BOOM. They bottom out their front suspension because they’ve pushed everything downward before even getting to a hole.

Spacers do NOT give away strut extension like preload does though. They just give away available lower control arm downward range...and slightly narrow your front stance as the LCA goes through its down-and-inward arc.

Hopefully suspension gurus will chime in.

Does anyone have pictures of either Weathertech or Husky mats/liners fitted in their LC200? The only pictures I can find online are the manufacturer images. I'm curious about the fit along the sides and near the door edge, as well as how far it goes up the dead pedal and sides and how it looks in the rear seats/cargo area. This could also be a good opportunity for the respective owners to compare their wear and tear and durability of the mats regarding warping and scuffs.

Here are few pics I snapped of the Husky WeatherBeaters in our 2019 LX 570. Hope this helps.

4VjTimb.jpg

gFFIXA3.jpg

Here are few pics I snapped of the Husky WeatherBeaters in our 2019 LX 570. Hope this helps.

4VjTimb.jpg

gFFIXA3.jpg

Those really do have a nice look and contour.
The weather techs have a little more odd-looking “wall” near the door jam. -Good for containing huge spills, but not as nice looking as those Huskies.

4VjTimb.jpg

gFFIXA3.jpg
Wow! How long have you been running that set? Those look incredible. Much better fit, design, and material than what I've seen on the Weathertechs. Can't find anything wrong except the 2nd row mat against the door frame corner if I'm nitpicky. It might cover the illuminated door sill though. I think my decision's made then, I'll go for a full set when my OEM all weathers get really beat up.

Considering a 2+" lift, and was wondering which is the most reliable and low maintenance option. If I'm understanding correctly, coilover type setups such as Icon or OME BP51 will need to rebuilt/serviced at certain mileage intervals. A lot of my usage will just be for daily driving, so comfort and affordable long term use (50k++ mile longevity) is most important.
I believe the basic OME Nitrocharger with the SPC UCAs kit (ARB1209 on Slee) is the most popular option for this type of setup - would that be my best bet? I've also heard of Ironman and Tough Dog as similar options. I'm also a fan of Bilstein lifts in other applications, so if that's an option for the LC200 that would be worth looking into as well.

Here's some clips of (stock) Oso in action in the Arbuckle Mountains this past weekend:

Last edited:
i use Goode’s Offroad here in Dallas. Mike is the man and has a ton of awesome Toyota builds around the shop at any given time. PM me if you want his contact info.

i use Goode’s Offroad here in Dallas. Mike is the man and has a ton of awesome Toyota builds around the shop at any given time. PM me if you want his contact info.
Thank you! Haven’t heard of Goode’s before, will check them out. I’m planning on dropping the LC off to Mike Dajda's Automotive with the wheels, tires, and OEM coil spacer front lift whenever everything comes in. He’ll probably have to do a good amount of fender liner and mud flap modification to fit the 0 offset wheels. As of right now, I'm planning on doing a Dobinsons lift with SPC UCA’s a while down the road.

Last edited:
Considering a 2+" lift, and was wondering which is the most reliable and low maintenance option. If I'm understanding correctly, coilover type setups such as Icon or OME BP51 will need to rebuilt/serviced at certain mileage intervals. A lot of my usage will just be for daily driving, so comfort and affordable long term use (50k++ mile longevity) is most important.
I believe the basic OME Nitrocharger with the SPC UCAs kit (ARB1209 on Slee) is the most popular option for this type of setup - would that be my best bet? I've also heard of Ironman and Tough Dog as similar options. I'm also a fan of Bilstein lifts in other applications, so if that's an option for the LC200 that would be worth looking into as well.

I'm doing a 2inch lift on my LC200 to clear 285/70/18 BFG KM3's....going with Kings. I've put Kings on all my Toyota trucks and have been very pleased with the results...night and day over stock and I can't wait to get rid of the death dive this LC does during braking. If you're just daily driving then you'll probably never need to rebuild them. Another way you might want to think of it is that a rebuildable shock is a long term solution, you'll never have to buy another shock.

Alright, here it is guys. So I decided not to compromise and rather run the wheels and tires I want the most, even if it is overly aggressive. Would rather be in love with my setup rather than just satisfied, all for the sake of perfect fitment.

Stock Suspension!
Method MR314 17x8.5+0 (I think I may be the first/only 200 guy running these)
General Grabber ATX 285/70R17

Front fender liner tab removed, Front mud flaps removed - after that, no rubbing in normal city driving. Rubs mildly while parking, u-turns, etc, but nothing that a little heatgun action this week won’t fix. Very impressed with the on-road ride, handling, and noise of these Grabbers, and so happy to have gone for the risk and run the wheels I’ve loved the most. I’ll take some proper pics soon.

Last edited:
Alright, here it is guys. So I decided not to compromise and rather run the wheels and tires I want the most, even if it is overly aggressive. Would rather be in love with the setup rather than just satisfied, all for the sake of perfect fitment.

View attachment 1959976View attachment 1959977View attachment 1959980

Stock Suspension!
Method MR314 17x8.5+0 (I think I may be the first/only 200 guy running these)
General Grabber ATX 285/70R17

Front fender liner tab removed, Front mud flaps removed - after that, no rubbing in normal city driving. Rubs mildly while parking, u-turns, etc, but nothing that a little heatgun action this week won’t fix. Very impressed with the ride and handling of these Grabbers, and so happy to have gone for the risk and run the wheels I’ve loved the most. This wheel/tire setup is what I dreamed of running before I knew what could fit, and so glad it does fit. I’ll take some proper pics soon.

I think I've seen you on 635....maybe. You were probably one of the few not driving like an a****** which got my attention, then I noticed the 200 series

I think I've seen you on 635....maybe. You were probably one of the few not driving like an a****** which got my attention, then I noticed the 200 series
Hahaha, I am on 635 regularly - perhaps it was me.

Also, want to give a big thanks to all the guys I messaged over the past few months about wheel/tire fitment, such as @kreiten @wesel123 and @Recon Aircrew, their low offset setups and feedback gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on such an uncommon fitment in our scene.

At the end of the day, the only issue is dealing with just plastic, and the details such as scrub radius and the like, while no doubt valid, are not worrying enough concerns (to me) to not do your build how you want to - there's always pros and cons to everything.

It would be funny to start judging the 80 series, 4Runner, Jeep, etc communities by those same standards - I don't think they take themselves that seriously. On the other hand, the wisdom that guys like @Markuson and @gaijin have on these specifics is surely an amazing and valued part of this community, and I'm also glad that guys with different priorities than me can do their LC's how they want to as well. Out on the trail, we're all just Land Cruiser guys looking to enjoy our rigs.

Love being a part of this community with diverse interests and tastes, and I hope my build can advance to show my character, and I can share my wheeling and exploring adventures with y'all.

Next up: Gobi Rack and some small goodies

Next up: Gobi Rack and some small goodies

I was going to get their roof rack for my LC as well but after it took them 8 months just to get me the ladder, no way was I going to deal with that mess again. Unacceptable. Went with a Prinsu and haven't looked back. VERY happy with that decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom