@orangefj45 Twin Sticks, Hi/Lo Pops Into Neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I took my 60 out for a ride after the NV4500 rebuild... I also rebuilt TC and installed Georg (@orangefj45) twin sticks and the hi/lo lever started popping into neutral, so I am having to slow down quite a bit or stop to push it back up. I get going and after a while it pops into neutral again. Could the threaded rod just need to be adjusted? or did I miss something when I rebuilt the TC?

Take a look at the small steel "block" that's now your H-N-L lever on top of the case. Make sure the angular cut is facing the right way. The "wider" portion should be at the front of the t-case, the "narrow" portion should be facing the rear.
I can post a pic later today if that helps.

Georg

Do you have pics of the setup before you installed it?

Take a look on this thread; first page, second post:

To rule out shifter linkage still applying pressure to the shift actuator on the transfer case, you could disconnect the linkage entirely at the transfer case and then take a test ride in 4 Lo to see if it still pops out. If it does, the problem is in the case, not the shifters.

Do you have pics of the setup before you installed it?

@orangefj45 It looks like block is set correct
To rule out shifter linkage still applying pressure to the shift actuator on the transfer case, you could disconnect the linkage entirely at the transfer case and then take a test ride in 4 Lo to see if it still pops out. If it does, the problem is in the case, not the shifters.

Thanks @OSS but that is what I was afraid of, I ran the truck in Lo for a few miles prior to switching to Hi and it hear did not pop out, once I went to the high gear it ran for about 3 miles with no issues and then it started popping up. I will re-run it in for low again when I get home from work. If it is the transfer case do I need to pull the whole thing out or just the back cover? What should I look for once I open the tc up?

1615527881765.png

On my transfer case when it used to jump out of Lo gear, the problem was the engagement teeth on the front output shaft and the corresponding notches in the hub sleeve. They had both rounded off a bit to prevent a secure engagement. I replaced them (in 1989) with new parts and it never jumped out of gear again. Also if the pocket bearing inside the rear output shaft that the front output shaft spins in is worn, it can cause the front output shaft to rock a little bit - causing it to lose grip on the hub sleeve. I repaced that too,

Jumping out of gear might be caused by something else too, but that is what was causing my problem.
Yes the transfer case has to be removed from the transmission entirely to replace the front output shaft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom