options , built in offline GPS tablet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 but most tablets have GPS. I prefer Android based tablets as most support uSD cards. With offline maps the extra uSD memory comes in handy. There are several mapping/nav apps available that support offline maps. I use APRSDroid with my Ham radio which not only maps me, but shows on the map where fellow Hams are that use APRS.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 also used other galaxy tab versions in the past dowloaded maps both via google maps and other software.

Galaxy S3 here. Been downright amazed at how I can get completely lost in National Forests ,including going off trail in the dark one time, and all I use is Google maps and it gets me where I wanna go just fine. I have backcountry, gaia and others but dont really need them since I am (almost)always on trail. Google maps sends me on hilariously difficult trails that require me to be fully locked and even then . . . .

I use a Samsung Tab A, can be had from Costco on sale for $119 about 4x per year. With backcountry Navigator and mounte on my dash, works great

I use a Lenovo 8" with Avenza maps mostly (also have Gaia). Have a 128 sd card in it

is the 8" big enough or you wish it is 10 " now i m debating between 8" and 10" screen
IMO, 8" screen size is perfect for my needs. Anything larger would block too much of the other electronic gizmos that I have installed in the truck. Weight was also a factor for the mounting of the Ram mount.

WiresRun.jpg

Yep 7" or 8" is just fine for maps - including topo etc.

navig.jpg

This with a 7" acer.

mqdash.jpg

Been running an asus 8" since then, similar overall size as the 7" due to smaller bezel. With a small unit you can get it up onto the dash, much easier to navigate when the map is in your face versus having to look down at a larger unit that is mounted above the transmission etc.

You can see the acer display in the vid below at around 4min mark.

cheers,
george.

old world magic - called 'manual transmission' :)

cheers,
george.

IMO, 8" screen size is perfect for my needs. Anything larger would block too much of the other electronic gizmos that I have installed in the truck. Weight was also a factor for the mounting of the Ram mount.

View attachment 1755866
which mount you like better left or right one and can 8" tablet fit in one on right

which mount you like better left or right one and can 8" tablet fit in one on right
The RAM X-Grip mounts are used for phones. They make 3 different sizes. The one on the right is the small one and it's good for my wife's iphone. The one on the windshield is the medium one and that's for my Galaxy S8. The large one can be used for smaller tablets, but I went with a proper tablet cradle.

Bumping this to see if anyone has additional input.

First Gen Ipad 64g with built in GPS.
No service plan/contract needed, good apps, have 4 different map sets loaded for over 50% of US, and still has memory.

Works great for me.

P1090653.JPG
P1100255.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom