Oponion on Japan-Import LC100 1998/1999? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a good point, but parts availability for Toyota diesel engines has improved dramatically over the last five years, not only are there 5-7 importers that are pretty good with parts availability, but with Partsouq, Amayama and others, most maintenance parts are now easily (and quickly) available in the US.
I have my faith in Partsouq at this point after looking through their website for 1HDFTE. I'll work on getting most of the work and refurbishing done while I'm in Japan with part 1-week shipping from local auto parts shop, but there's gonna be so much limitation with my current knowledge on the car.
Do you have any recommendation on refurbish to prioritize while I'm here? Engine rebuilt, bolt/nut change, pulley, etc? I have done the regular services and have appointment to have the belt changed next week, but that's about all I got. Only thing I successfully refurbished for now is replacing the tailgate wire.
20240330_142633.jpg
-Scherm

Without hesitation I would choose the diesel but I have a fair amount of experience working on diesels and driving a 70 series briefly in Australia. But, you should be aware that very few diesel mechanics have experience working on Toyota diesels in the USA. I'm sure I will be corrected if I am mistaken but I don't think Toyota ever imported any of their vehicles into the USA with diesels. Or, if they did, it was very few. Nevertheless, a diesel is a diesel. The biggest challenge will be sourcing parts for a Diesel engine which was never officially imported into the USA. I once owned a Mercedes 409d with an engine never officially imported into the USA. I relied on a UK parts supplier to identify and source the parts I needed.
Too late! Already got the diesel :cool: I want to learn how to do things by myself. Communities in Australia and Youtube are my sources right now. Yeah, bummer that I probably can't expect many mechanics that are familiar with this vehicle, but there's hope.

This is a good point, but parts availability for Toyota diesel engines has improved dramatically over the last five years, not only are there 5-7 importers that are pretty good with parts availability, but with Partsouq, Amayama and others, most maintenance parts are now easily (and quickly) available in the US.
I loathe using drive throughs in general but every once in a while, I am forced to park somewhere. Ordered this off Amazon. Works well for parking tickets and tapping the credit card.
But beware: if anyone else gets in the car and this is within their grasp, they will terrorize you by playing with it.
IMG_3528.jpeg

I have my faith in Partsouq at this point after looking through their website for 1HDFTE. I'll work on getting most of the work and refurbishing done while I'm in Japan with part 1-week shipping from local auto parts shop, but there's gonna be so much limitation with my current knowledge on the car.
Do you have any recommendation on refurbish to prioritize while I'm here? Engine rebuilt, bolt/nut change, pulley, etc? I have done the regular services and have appointment to have the belt changed next week, but that's about all I got. Only thing I successfully refurbished for now is replacing the tailgate wire.View attachment 3610987 -Scherm
Where the cable rusted is the bottom of the loop when the tailgate is closed. Cut the plastic sheath there and water will always drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom