Opinions on this choice of engine oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is any using or heard of Fuchs Titan Ultralube 1540. I've been using this in my Cruiser and changing at 4000k's (speedos a bit out) with a new oil filter. Comes out pretty black.

Whats everyone's oil look like at a 5000 oil change?

molasses, but not as thick.

I use semi-synth oil, no particular brand. It just depends what's on offer locally. I've just switched from a 10/40 over winter to a 15/40. I understand what the numbers mean ie: cold and hot viscosity but what I have found from experience is that a 15/40 will ALWAYS hold a higher OP than a 10/40 when hot and that I do not understand. I'm no oil expert but this is fact. I've seen it many times. In theory they should have the same viscosity when hot but experience has proven otherwise. The difference is only around 4-5 psi @ 2000rpm (less at idle) but nevertheless it is there so IMO saying an 0 or 10/40 will be the same as a 15/40 when hot is incorrect.

oil sample for 1HD-T

Im not sure if anyone out there other than myself is anal enough to sample there oil on there 1HD-T every 5k, but i have since i did my BEB's. The oil put in after the bearings were done was pennzoil long life 15w40 and after that i switched to chevron delo MULTI GRADE 15w40 ( the "multi grade" is different than the standard delo 400 15/40) This oil has a average calicum count of 3000ppm. This is the highest count of calicum i have found in any oil in N/A.
So if anyone elts has done oil sampling at 5k intervals i would be interested to see them. P.S. excuse the "4.7L engine as that was there typo., and note that the first is the most recent and second the oldest.
oil sample.jpg

Is any using or heard of Fuchs Titan Ultralube 1540. I've been using this in my Cruiser and changing at 4000k's (speedos a bit out) with a new oil filter. Comes out pretty black.

Whats everyone's oil look like at a 5000 oil change?
MUCH cleaner than my wife's tercel oil at the same mileage... That's the advantage of direct injection and the two-stage Toyota 90915-30002 filter ;)

I still use Standard Shell Rotella T 15W40 in summer and Synthetic Rotella T 5W40 in winter, consuming oil at the rate of about 1/2 litre per 10,000km ( I used MUCH, MUCH mkore when I was on Mobil 1, but it may have been due to the fact the truck had seen very little use with only short trips before I acquired it)

I replace the oil at around 5,000 on normal oil after first summer oil change then 8,000 on further changes, basically on color and engine oil drop. In winter on synthetic I usually go between 12,000 and 17,000 km, depending on how it feels (you can definitely feel when the oil has broken down, by the slight increase in noise and slight increase in fuel consumption).

I always add an 8 ounce bottle of CD-2 Maxx, a high calcium oil detergent at the time of the oil change, and top up with another bottle when the level drops enough. I got hold of a batch of old stock CD-2 Maxx with the higher calcium content back a couple of years ago when it got discontinued, and have enough to last me 10 years ;)

For what its worth, GREAT THREAD!
Hands down my vote is Chevron Delo 15-40
Best oil for a Diesel Engine around.
I know everyone has an opinion and they are like A....s
sooooo for what its worth Chevron!
Oh a great oil is almost worthless without a great filter, who is going to start a thread about those as I would love to see other opinions about filters for a 13BT.

Jim

apparently

"0W-40 viscosity rating provides superior protection in both hot and cold temperature extremes."

good :D

Simon, I'm of the opinion that 0 weight oil is too thin in the summer but that's just me with no data to back it up. I usually get whatever is available and whatever I can find. In Guatemala I've been able to find Chevron Delo, In Mexico just the Pemex 40 weight oil, in the states, whatever the lube place has that's diesel rated. I'm of the opinion that it is most important to change regularly and when hot and use a quality filter that can hold the garbage without bypassing. I'm at 550,000kms so things seem to be working so far.

Oh a great oil is almost worthless without a great filter, who is going to start a thread about those as I would love to see other opinions about filters for a 13BT.

Jim

Jim, I use Fleetgard filters for my trucks (I get them from the Cummin's distributor here in Canada). In Guatemala, where I am most of the time, it seems there is a race to the bottom on price so I have bought a dozen Fleetgard filters and I use them in Guatemala to ensure a quality filter is on my truck all the time. The 3B takes the common PH8A type filter which is one of the most common out there (I'd be surprised if the 13B-T uses a different filter). Fleetgard have different models available depending on what you might need/want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom